Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Statement, hmm... how about an explicit one?
"The D FA* 50 1.4 will be released during the fiscal year 2017."

CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 2 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 04-09-17 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The problem is that you have to shoot with cameras from other systems in order to have valid points when you defend Pentax on every thread.
And doing that gives you right to transform every thread you're participating on, into a silly "Brand X is better than your Pentax!" dispute?
Can't you understand that people are defending their choice because you're attacking it?

Then what are you doing on a thread regarding Nikon? Even if we're happily shooting with our systems it doesn't mean that we can't speak or compare our systems with other systems.
I'm interested in what other brands are doing; I'm not bashing Nikon, and I'm actually here to read about the D850 and not how "brand X is better than your Pentax!". What's your problem?

And by the way, Tamron 24-70mm G2 is faster to focus and it's better build than the previous version. But you don't know that because you don't shoot with other systems. You read specs. I know what I'm talking because I wanted to buy Tamron 24-70mm and I've rented both versions for a few days.

And by the way, there are 2 Tamron 150-600mm versions, G2 being the last one released.
Would you get off your high horse?

My point is related to launch dates, which I can find out just by browsing the internet - and, interestingly, I cannot find out by renting equipment. The lenses I've mentioned are too new to be replaced soon (your claim: 2-3 years). This is also means that only the newest Tamron 150-600 - the G2 - matters; the old one is already replaced - doh!

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.
09-04-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
it's just a really nice camera to sue
I'm not sure it makes enough money to be worth it, but hopefully we'll both be pleasantly surprised
09-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And doing that gives you right to transform every thread you're participating on, into a silly "Brand X is better than your Pentax!" dispute?
Can't you understand that people are defending their choice because you're attacking it?

I'm interested in what other brands are doing; I'm not bashing Nikon, and I'm actually here to read about the D850 and not how "brand X is better than your Pentax!". What's your problem?
My problem? What's your problem??? What things do you want to read about a camera that is not yet in the market? The only "real" comments is how good this camera is to photographers based on the specs and what impact will have in the market. Pentax is in the market, so we're discussing about the impact of D850 among users. Now, D850 on paper looks better than K1 on every aspect. If you're telling me that I'm attacking Pentax when I confirm what others say regarding lens choice and af, then I know what is your problem. You constantly like to hunting me all over the forum with your precious expression "you're attacking Pentax". Grow up!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
My point is related to launch dates, which I can find out just by browsing the internet - and, interestingly, I cannot find out by renting equipment. The lenses I've mentioned are too new to be replaced soon (your claim: 2-3 years). This is also means that only the newest Tamron 150-600 - the G2 - matters; the old one is already replaced - doh!
My point is that you are always talk about cameras and lenses based on what you read on the internet. It's what you did a few comments back regarding the optical quality of the new Tamron 24-70mm G2 vs. the first version. You read specs. If you want to be credible, you could go and rent the lenses and cameras you're reffering to. At least we can share our experiences. By reading comments/articles on the internet and then commenting regarding something you have 0 (zero) experience with is as far as i'm concerned a wasted conversation.

Tamron updated 90mm f2.8 macro lens, 24-70mm f2.8 lens, 70-200mm f2.8 lens, 150-600mm lens in the last couple of years. - doh.
09-04-2017, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Dan Rentea Do you have a point? (other than being a * disturber for the sake of disturbing * )

09-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Well, Dan, if you don't have anything to say on the subject, you don't have to say anything.

Besides, you do not have a point here. You didn't shoot with the impact of the D850 on K-1's sales. You didn't shoot with what you think Sigma and Tamron would release in 2-3 years. Not even with the D850, all you know about it is what you've read on the Internet.
Oh, sure, I'm using the manufacturer's statements about the 24-70 G2's optics instead of testing whatever two samples I can find at F64....
09-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@Dan Rentea Do you have a point? (other than being a * disturber for the sake of disturbing * )
A point of what? Until Kunzite made his entrance, I had an exchange of opinions without disturbs. Just simple forum conversations. He came with his so called theory regarding how I'm attacking Pentax and changed the topic's subject. The only one to blame for the off topic disscution is me, for responding to his usual comments. But this is the last time I'm going to respond him on this forum, no matter the subject. I wasted to much time with him already. I hope he will do the same and ignore me. We live in the same city but in the same time we live on different planets.
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #232
Pentaxian

One might reach a different conclusion by going back and reading what we wrote. It starts on page 14, my response is on page 16 - it's not that much.

09-04-2017, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know more than 20 photographers who shoot professionaly with 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, D750, D810 and they use Tamron or Sigma lenses. And they ask a price above the avarage price for their services. Sigma Art lenses are excelent in terms of IQ and the focus is decent if you find a good copy. The new generation of Tamron lenses are also very good.

Pentax is not competing from the same position as one year ago because K1 is not so popular as it was a year ago and because the available lenses are the same as a year ago. People who invest minimum 4000$ in a system are usually looking for this kind of details, except the ones with a lot of money and no skills but with the desire to have the latest equipment available on the market (and those guys will not look at Pentax anyway). Adding the performance of the D850 and the decision is not so favorable to Pentax, even if Tamron 70-200mm is not comparable to Pentax 70-200mm.
You know, Dan, third party lenses are always cheaper than brand name lenses. I suppose it is up to an individual as to what buying brand name is worth. Are Canon L lenses worth anything or are you better off getting Sigma Art lenses or Tamron lenses? Certainly it has been a knock on Pentax that there isn't the same level of third party support that Canon and Nikon have. On the other hand, it is nice that in the US, at least, Pentax brand lenses are more reasonably priced than Canon and Nikon lenses are.

But, I really don't think this thread is about Pentax. It is really about the D850 and what it is bringing to the market and maybe in a circuitous sort of way, what things Pentax may try to add to their cameras down the road in order to compete. Pentax certainly could add focus stacking, make their buffer deeper, and even add 4K video. What they can't do is control whether Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma support their cameras.

To me, a K1 is still a very nice camera and the DFA zooms are nice lenses. The D850 will be as well, although many of the features would be lost on me. I do happen to like using Pentax brand lenses on Pentax cameras and if I shot Canon/Nikon I would probably buy brand name lenses as well. It just would be a more expensive proposition to do so.
09-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We live in the same city but in the same time we live on different planets.
Maybe you two need to get together for a coffee.
09-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #235
Pentaxian

We've met IRL, didn't kill each other.
09-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You know, Dan, third party lenses are always cheaper than brand name lenses. I suppose it is up to an individual as to what buying brand name is worth. Are Canon L lenses worth anything or are you better off getting Sigma Art lenses or Tamron lenses? Certainly it has been a knock on Pentax that there isn't the same level of third party support that Canon and Nikon have. On the other hand, it is nice that in the US, at least, Pentax brand lenses are more reasonably priced than Canon and Nikon lenses are.

But, I really don't think this thread is about Pentax. It is really about the D850 and what it is bringing to the market and maybe in a circuitous sort of way, what things Pentax may try to add to their cameras down the road in order to compete. Pentax certainly could add focus stacking, make their buffer deeper, and even add 4K video. What they can't do is control whether Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma support their cameras.

To me, a K1 is still a very nice camera and the DFA zooms are nice lenses. The D850 will be as well, although many of the features would be lost on me. I do happen to like using Pentax brand lenses on Pentax cameras and if I shot Canon/Nikon I would probably buy brand name lenses as well. It just would be a more expensive proposition to do so.
Rondec, my initial comment was regarding the cost of a D850 with Tamron lenses. If you are on a budget, this combo is 500$ more expensive than a K1 with Pentax lenses. It's tempting a D850 with Tamron lenses? If you really want the technology from D850 but you don't have the budget to go with original lenses I think Tamron/Sigma lenses can help you to save some money, with some penalties regarding build construction and maybe af. Optically, Sigma Art for example are excelent. Is this combo worth 500$ more than what you'll pay for K1 with Pentax lenses? I don't know but I said that it should be interesting to see a comparation. Is this a insinuation that I'm attacking Pentax? It wasn't until Kunzite thought it will be nice to say his favorite phrase.

You said "It is really about the D850 and what it is bringing to the market and maybe in a circuitous sort of way, what things Pentax may try to add to their cameras down the road in order to compete." Look at my comments. What does "better af" and "new lenses" means when I mentioned what Pentaxians want from Ricoh? Are these 2 features not important in order for Pentax to stay competitive?

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 10:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Done that. But not anymore. It was fun to talk to him, but up to a point. It's a forum so every member is free to say what he thinks, but as I said, we live on different planets. It took me a litter longer to realise that.

So it's better to ignore him than wasting our time.
09-04-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ha Ha, maybe something a bit stronger next time....It'll get some free publicity for Pentax,could go viral on YouTube!
09-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #238
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The contrast between the K-1 and the D850 does not surprise me given the $1,000 higher price tag of the D850. The D850 may add a lot of value but it adds a lot of cost, too. Camera buyers with a budget of $2,000 would probably never consider the D850 and those with >$3k in the budget might never consider the K-1. Moreover, the D850 lacks IBIS, pixelshift, astrotracer, horizon leveler, composition adjust, controllable anti-aliasing, seems to have an inferior tilt screen, and lacks TAv mode, the green button, and probably a bunch of other minor ergonomic features that Pentax has that Nikon doesn't (and, in fairness the D850 probably has other features the K-1 doesn't).

The D850 is a nice camera but it's no K-1 killer given the 50% added costs and subtracted features.
09-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rondec, my initial comment was regarding the cost of a D850 with Tamron lenses. If you are on a budget, this combo is 500$ more expensive than a K1 with Pentax lenses. It's tempting a D850 with Tamron lenses? If you really want the technology from D850 but you don't have the budget to go with original lenses I think Tamron/Sigma lenses can help you to save some money, with some penalties regarding build construction and maybe af. Optically, Sigma Art for example are excelent. Is this combo worth 500$ more than what you'll pay for K1 with Pentax lenses? I don't know but I said that it should be interesting to see a comparation. Is this a insinuation that I'm attacking Pentax? It wasn't until Kunzite thought it will be nice to say his favorite phrase.

You said "It is really about the D850 and what it is bringing to the market and maybe in a circuitous sort of way, what things Pentax may try to add to their cameras down the road in order to compete." Look at my comments. What does "better af" and "new lenses" means when I mentioned what Pentaxians want from Ricoh? Are these 2 features not important in order for Pentax to stay competitive?

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 10:42 PM ----------

Done that. But not anymore. It was fun to talk to him, but up to a point. It's a forum so every member is free to say what he thinks, but as I said, we live on different planets. It took me a litter longer to realise that.

So it's better to ignore him than wasting our time.
My expectation is continued improvement from Ricoh over time. However, I have become convinced that the issue for Ricoh is not the gear that they have released, but more the fact that no one knows about it. A little marketing would go along way to improving the image of Pentax.

With regard to camera body versus glass, truthfully I would rather spend money on glass than on a body. It does feel like a better investment. Whatever the D850 brings will be superseded in a year or two from a tech standpoint, but high quality glass, even from fifteen or twenty years ago is still worth using.
09-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The D850 is a nice camera but it's no K-1 killer given the 50% added costs and subtracted features.
Yes, but add on the extras to get the D850 to full capability...Body $3300...grip/extra battery/charger(i'd assume for 2 batteries) and its over 4K.US

The K-1 for the astute buyer can be sourced for down around $14/1500ish body only with the full 12 month warranty(thats here in OZ).

The difference in price buys DFA lenses to cover 28-200mm.(well it did for me)

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but high quality glass, even from fifteen or twenty years ago is still worth using.
Yes, i'd say even longer...