Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If Pentax released a K1 tomorrow with 7 fps and 45 megapixels, but everything else about the same, it wouldn't interest me at all.
Yep. I too have all I need, and nothing more I really want. I won't update my full-frame DSLR for anything less than restoration of the aperture arm AND the analogue TTL protocol AND off-sensor metering (in other words, essentially an LX-D). Oh, and a base ISO of six or thereabouts. Then we'll talk.

(On the other hand, if someone brought out a digital version of the Spotmatic F, with full S-M-C Takumar functionality and a CCD sensor bearing the same megapixel relation to that of the *istD series as the K-1 has to the K-5, I might well be tempted to buy one.)

Last edited by pathdoc; 07-25-2017 at 08:10 AM.
07-25-2017, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Larger-format, larger-megapixel sensors are simply ill-suited to video.
What he said ^ ^ ^

There is a reason for the A7S.

Steve
07-25-2017, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

By the way, for some unknown reason I remembered about this article:
The Online Photographer: I'm Going to Shut Up

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest thing to me is that camera companies need to change. Do not release a new camera because it is time per your schedule (every 18 months for APS-C, every 3 years for full frame). Release a camera because you have real improvements over old gear that will make a difference in real world images.
I believe that would be for the best. I also believe the first company to do that would lose market share and die... then the next, and then the next
We require from them constant updates.
07-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way, for some unknown reason I remembered about this article:
The Online Photographer: I'm Going to Shut Up

I believe that would be for the best. I also believe the first company to do that would lose market share and die... then the next, and then the next
We require from them constant updates.
You could be right. A lot depends on the amount of each camera that is produced and how many remain on shelves when the next gen camera is released.

I doubt this is an issue with cameras like the D810, but I have a feeling that the D5xxx and D3xxx series cameras have multiple different generations selling against each other. If specifications are similar enough, people will usually go with the cheaper camera.

07-25-2017, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although it may well be true that owners of recent-model "good" cameras are unlikely to be tempted by the next iteration, that's not the target market. Minor updates help entice non-camera owners as well as owners of older cameras, lesser cameras, and competing brands.

Although each new minor update might bring sighs from a small core of brand enthusiasts, it piques the interest of many others.
07-25-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon had better make sure they do it right. They can't afford to half-@$$ the camera like they did with the Df, D600, & D750. Between oil stains and shutter issues they have not done well the last 3 years.
07-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #22
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
.... of course my new K1 arrived last week.
Unless you were intending on getting a D810 for cheap, you'll be fine. I suspect you'll be able to buy 2 K-1's for the price of 1 D850.
07-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nikon had better make sure they do it right. They can't afford to half-@$$ the camera like they did with the Df, D600, & D750. Between oil stains and shutter issues they have not done well the last 3 years.
Yes they've had their issues.. some rather serious. But I think it was actually positive to admit to them. And, not only that, to repair at no additional cost many of those issues.

Has Pentax yet publicly admitted to the flaw in the aperture motor on the K-30/K-50? What about the SDM issues? Swept under the rug.. just an individual user anomaly, apparently... so I don't think we can be too hard on Nikon for their flaws when Pentax has their own.

07-25-2017, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
so I don't think we can be too hard on Nikon for their flaws when Pentax has their own.
We? speak for yourself please. I need no one who decides I am part of some we.
07-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes they've had their issues.. some rather serious. But I think it was actually positive to admit to them. And, not only that, to repair at no additional cost many of those issues.

Has Pentax yet publicly admitted to the flaw in the aperture motor on the K-30/K-50? What about the SDM issues? Swept under the rug.. just an individual user anomaly, apparently... so I don't think we can be too hard on Nikon for their flaws when Pentax has their own.
There were 3 different recalls for the D750 shutter.

3:00 minute mark.

Or Here:

Last edited by Winder; 07-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.
07-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
And don't forget the fact that the Chinese Government forced Nikon to cease production of the D600 & recall all remaining available units a few years ago.
07-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I guess this quote sums it up real well:

"This is quite an unusual announcement for Nikon. I smell panic following shrinking market share."

and this one as well:

"Ask any husband, if all you gave your wife on your anniversary was a card that said "I got you something AWESOME! ...I'll tell you more at a later date." ...you'd be in the dog house until that "later date" came."
Wait a second, how long was the Pentax Full Frame website up before it was officially announced? I remember it being about a year.

Edit: yea, almost exactly a year

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/40-homepage-official-pentax-news/287866-...announced.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/40-homepage-official-pentax-news/314225-...announced.html

Last edited by cali92rs; 07-25-2017 at 05:00 PM.
07-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unless you were intending on getting a D810 for cheap, you'll be fine. I suspect you'll be able to buy 2 K-1's for the price of 1 D850.
I wasn't complaining - it's just par for the course. A week within my doing something - things always change. Does it make a real difference? No, it should have been somewhat predictable that Nikon would use the 42MP sensor Sony used in their camera previously. There are not that many sources for sensors around. Plus, the 810 was getting long in the tooth.

Me - well we're in the middle of Monsoon season, so rain, and lot's of clouds - so no Milky Way for me for a month or two. The clouds towering over the mountains have not been really that impressive - so, I go do something else till the weather clears up.

07-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #29
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
We? speak for yourself please. I need no one who decides I am part of some we.
Oh don't worry. I made sure not to include you in that we, so you can rest easy.

Yes, I'm aware. I suspect they kept refitting the same faulty design and/or simply didn't know what was causing the issue for some time. But, again, at least they owned up to it and have replaced the faulty parts regardless to how worn the owner's camera.
07-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #30
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I wasn't complaining - it's just par for the course. A week within my doing something - things always change. Does it make a real difference? No, it should have been somewhat predictable that Nikon would use the 42MP sensor Sony used in their camera previously. There are not that many sources for sensors around. Plus, the 810 was getting long in the tooth.

Me - well we're in the middle of Monsoon season, so rain, and lot's of clouds - so no Milky Way for me for a month or two. The clouds towering over the mountains have not been really that impressive - so, I go do something else till the weather clears up.

I was trying to make you feel better about your buy. This new Nikon body will be in a totally different price bracket.

I've been know to pick losing horses... I owned a couple Pontiacs and then they folded, I was a big supporter of an audio production software, and they discontinued the product, I have enjoyed Pentax and they have been in and out for awhile... I've been a vocal supporter of Sigma K mount lenses, and they've been retracting from K mount, I've been eyeballing the Nikon DSLR system...

You can practice indoor shooting.. portraits? Macro? Pet photos? I think that was one of the first things I did with my K-1, took photos of a cat. Of course.

The D850 could very well be an entirely new sensor from Sony... or a scaled up version of the D500 sensor. I'm expecting closer to 50 MP. And, of course, it should have the D5 AF system... just with a smaller buffer. But they'll really have to impress if they're going to get people to give up their D810 bodies (and pony up the 3+ thousand dollars cost of admission).

The K-1 and the D810 are already so good..