Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon D850: New FX-format digital SLR camera coming soon.

.... of course my new K1 arrived last week.

07-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a very nice camera. But I cannot help but feel like Nikon is becoming more and more like an one trick pony. I am not sure if they are diversified enough to survive.
07-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It won't beat the K-1 because it will have no pixel shift resolution No IBIS GPS will be optional and you have to buy a dedicated astro tracer. it will be faster, have better AF and better video though. It will probably have a 46mp sensor upscaled from the D500 sensor (same pixels but more of them).
07-25-2017, 02:40 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The video is short on details, but Nikon knows their market and I'm sure the new camera will get lots of interest.

But it won't beat the K-1 because it doesn't fit my lenses

07-25-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure it will be nice. Probably the biggest thing it will do is improve video performance of the D810. The real question is can it improve still photography performance of the D810. My guess would be that Nikon uses the 42 megapixel sensor that is in the A7r II, maybe with a few tweaks of their own. That sensor is better than the D810 at high iso, but at low iso, the D810 is still the best out there.

I doubt that many folks would buy a D850 mainly to shoot video and Nikon really has to bring some real improvements to the table to get current D810 users to upgrade to the next gen camera.
07-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nikon really needs a better 4k implementation. cropped 4k sucks in my view. Get more processing power in there and downsample a full sensor image.
07-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yawn. 8k timelapse. WTH Nikon? We had 4k timelapse for years now even in sub $1000 cameras. And I bet there will be enough people who would describe that as a "gimmick".

07-25-2017, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nikon really needs a better 4k implementation. cropped 4k sucks in my view. Get more processing power in there and downsample a full sensor image.
This is not Nikon's fault and cannot be solved with more processing power.

Larger-format, larger-megapixel sensors are simply ill-suited to video. Smaller sensor chips with lower pixel counts will always offer better video performance.

(P.S. Money & bulk can solve any engineering problem. You could get a RED Weapon 8k camera with a 35 MPix sensor that is bigger than 35mm format. But it's a $50,000 camera that is quite heavy and the batteries weigh 1.4 lbs each)
07-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Larger-format, larger-megapixel sensors are simply ill-suited to video.
Sony does it. on the a7 RII (and A6300/6500)
07-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It won't beat the K-1 because it will have no pixel shift resolution No IBIS GPS will be optional and you have to buy a dedicated astro tracer. it will be faster, have better AF and better video though. It will probably have a 46mp sensor upscaled from the D500 sensor (same pixels but more of them).
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The video is short on details, but Nikon knows their market and I'm sure the new camera will get lots of interest.
This sums it up well. Its gonna be a decent camera, but mostly its role is to make Nikon seem relevant. "Look what it can do!" "If only I had that camera, I could do the same!" "Oh well, guess I'll buy the D3000 model since I can't afford the D800" "lol Pentax doesn't even have an astrophoto video with dramatic music"
07-25-2017, 05:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This sums it up well. Its gonna be a decent camera, but mostly its role is to make Nikon seem relevant. "Look what it can do!" "If only I had that camera, I could do the same!" "Oh well, guess I'll buy the D3000 model since I can't afford the D800" "lol Pentax doesn't even have an astrophoto video with dramatic music"
07-25-2017, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony does it. on the a7 RII (and A6300/6500)
The issue is whether it is worth compromising low iso performance for the better video performance you see with the A7r II. Could you get iso 50 on the A7r II sensor? Inquiring minds want to know...
07-25-2017, 06:09 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I guess this quote sums it up real well:

"This is quite an unusual announcement for Nikon. I smell panic following shrinking market share."

and this one as well:

"Ask any husband, if all you gave your wife on your anniversary was a card that said "I got you something AWESOME! ...I'll tell you more at a later date." ...you'd be in the dog house until that "later date" came."
07-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest thing to me is that camera companies need to change. Do not release a new camera because it is time per your schedule (every 18 months for APS-C, every 3 years for full frame). Release a camera because you have real improvements over old gear that will make a difference in real world images. For me personally, that means more than a boost in megapixels or frame rates. But maybe that's what we've come down to at this point.

If Pentax released a K1 tomorrow with 7 fps and 45 megapixels, but everything else about the same, it wouldn't interest me at all.
07-25-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I guess this quote sums it up real well:

"This is quite an unusual announcement for Nikon. I smell panic following shrinking market share."

and this one as well:

"Ask any husband, if all you gave your wife on your anniversary was a card that said "I got you something AWESOME! ...I'll tell you more at a later date." ...you'd be in the dog house until that "later date" came."
But in the K-3 successor thread some are asking Ricoh to do just that...