Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #106
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Some Oly cameras have focus bracketing and stacking.
Rather interesting feature... just saw a video of it in action. Just imagine if Pentax could introduce automated focus bracketing/stacking with PixelShift.. in a still setting that would be incredible.

08-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Rather interesting feature... just saw a video of it in action. Just imagine if Pentax could introduce automated focus bracketing/stacking with PixelShift.. in a still setting that would be incredible.
I'd also like their LiveComp mode) I was able to leave my EM1 for 45-50 minutes doing a single exposure, it produced a clean raw file with no over exposure, with some funky lighting effects due to stars moving, fireflies etc. I know this can be achieved with stacking etc, but how much easier it is to get 1 raw and just work directly with it) It was so awesome for star trails and achieving interesting photos

Like so: Stars & fireflies | LiveComp ~ 1 hour. | Timur Dzhambinov | Flickr
08-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd also like their LiveComp mode) I was able to leave my EM1 for 45-50 minutes doing a single exposure, it produced a clean raw file with no over exposure, with some funky lighting effects due to stars moving, fireflies etc. I know this can be achieved with stacking etc, but how much easier it is to get 1 raw and just work directly with it) It was so awesome for star trails and achieving interesting photos

Like so: Stars & fireflies | LiveComp ~ 1 hour. | Timur Dzhambinov | Flickr
Oly's "Live Bulb" feature is pretty cool also
08-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Oly's "Live Bulb" feature is pretty cool also
Yup, I quite liked using it too. In general, FW updates from Oly were great, at least for the flagship EM1 (I heard EM5 and EM10 didn't get as much love).

08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
7fps and 9fps - possibly with addition of MB-D18
I was interested in picking up a used D4 or D4S, if the specs are true I might hold off and think about the D850

Then again this might bring down the price of the D4 & D4S on the used market so time will tell
08-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I've often wondered why a built in-automated focus-bracketing option isn't widespread. It's great to see it turn up, it should filter out to other cameras.
Ol' man Northrup don't reckon it's a killer feature - better on paper than in implementation for now - I know he's not the final word on anything, but he is enthusiastic about Nikon and about the D850 specs as leaked - having said which, you have to start somewhere, and early AF was rubbish by today's standards.

Last edited by ffking; 08-13-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: typo
08-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Ol' man Northrup don't reckon it's a killer feature - better on paper than in implementation for now - I know he's not the final word on anything, but he is enthusiastic about Nikon and about the D850 specs as leaked - having said which, you have to start somewhere, and early AF was rubbish by today's standards.
My impression from these clever new features on my Oly camera is that you do have to do your homework and practise if you want good results - and probably (or certainly with some features) that means a sturdy tripod and a quality lens. None of this stuff is just Point and Shoot. Still, some people somewhere will put in the work and turn out amazing results and at least the features are there to use. It seems that Nikon have put a great deal into this new camera. No IBIS, though? I can't get over how strange that omission is now we are in 2017. IBIS has been around for long enough to have become an almost unremarkable feature elsewhere. It is soooo useful since enhanced resolution, astro and so on hang off it. Some things never change, lol.

08-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
My impression from these clever new features on my Oly camera is that you do have to do your homework and practise if you want good results - and probably (or certainly with some features) that means a sturdy tripod and a quality lens. None of this stuff is just Point and Shoot. Still, some people somewhere will put in the work and turn out amazing results and at least the features are there to use. It seems that Nikon have put a great deal into this new camera. No IBIS, though? I can't get over how strange that omission is now we are in 2017. IBIS has been around for long enough to have become an almost unremarkable feature elsewhere. It is soooo useful since enhanced resolution, astro and so on hang off it. Some things never change, lol.
If the stacking can be done afterwards with 3rd party software ( it sounds like it can ) this has my interest
08-13-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
If the stacking can be done afterwards with 3rd party software ( it sounds like it can ) this has my interest
Here's a compilation of the known Nikon D850 specifications;
  • 45.75MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • New and improved version of SnapBridge
  • No built-in GPS
  • Tiltable LCD (3.2", 2.36 million dots)
  • Fully functional touchscreen: supports touch AF, touch shutter and touch menu
  • Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  • AF system from the D5 (153 points, 130% frame coverage compared to the D810, all AF points @ -3EV, middle/center crosshair sensor @-4EV)
  • New smaller AF point
  • No built-in flash
  • Back illuminated buttons
  • Joystick selector
  • Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
  • 8K time-lapse video capabilities
  • 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)
  • No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
  • Slo-mo full HD 120fps video
  • The SD slot will support UHS-II
  • Improved LiveView split-screen display
  • Improved silent shooting mode: fully-silent, no-sound electronic shutter in live view (6 fps silent shooting, no mechanical movement, can shoot up to 30fps @ 8MP with the electronic shutter)
  • Improved battery life
  • Lighter than the D810
  • Native ISO range: 64-25,600
  • ISO 64 extendable down to ISO 32 (Lo1 = 32, Hi 2 = 108,400)
  • 7fps without grip, 9fps with grip (MB-D18a battery grip and the EN-EL18a battery)
  • 51 images raw buffer at 14-bit RAW
  • 0.75x optical viewfinder (largest ever on a Nikon FX cameras)
  • 180k RGB meter
  • No AA filter
  • Supports for Nikon wireless transmitter WT-7
  • Built-in focus stacking: up to 300 pictures with up to 10 levels of focusing steps (still need external software)
  • Price will be CNY 23,999 or around $3,600 (source: Chinese forum)
  • Announcement date could be August 16th
  • RAW sizes: small, medium, large
  • New 1:1 mode
  • New natural light AWB

Read more: Nikon D850 specifications recap | Nikon Rumors
08-13-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
45.75MP full frame CMOS sensor
Interesting new sensor. Sounds much more than a simple tweak of the existing Sony 42MP unit.

If it's a Sony, I guess Nikon will be pioneering this sensor, just like they did with the 36MP Sony sensor in the D800. In a few years it may then show up in the K-1 vII, I guess.
08-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-1 vII
I think that in 70-80 years, the technology might have moved on
08-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Are those really known? I've seen many fake slides before (not to this level, though).
If so, that's a truly impressive camera. I would have no complaint with a similar K-1 Mark II
08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If so, that's a truly impressive camera. I would have no complaint with a similar K-1 Mark II
Well, unless you're shooting moving targets, I doubt the image outputs will be different from the current K1. Now that I see how much I invested in a K1 system, I am definitely glad that the K1 "only" costed me less than 2K.
08-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, unless you're shooting moving targets, I doubt the image outputs will be different from the current K1. Now that I see how much I invested in a K1 system, I am definitely glad that the K1 "only" costed me less than 2K.
Biggest negative (for me) in the K-1 is buffer depth. Honestly, for my (and many other's) purposes, 36 megapixels is probably adequate.

The big thing to me is to see progress with this sensor. Does it have better dynamic range and noise performance relative to the D810? How good is it at low iso and at high iso? It seems that lately a lot of cameras are willing to sacrifice low iso performance in order to improve read out speed and give slightly better high iso performance, but I would rather have an extra half EV of dynamic range on the low end...
08-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does it have better dynamic range and noise performance relative to the D810?
The DR of the D500 and D7500 is 14 at base ISO (DXO) If it is the same then no. Noise performance will be better, but that is processing, like Pentax does in the K-70 and KP. It is a feature of the Expeed 5 processor.