08-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

L16 Camera

Light | Technology

16 Lens camera - DNG RAW support.

08-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not often I'm impressed by new camera gear but if the L16 delivers as promised it will be revolutionary. I just joined their email list. Waiting until the first professional reviews go online before pulling the trigger. This piece of kit looks like the ultimate travel camera! Thanks for posting.
08-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
if the L16 delivers as promised
They never do... such "revolutionary" products sells on hype, and less on capabilities.
By the way:
Full-res image samples from the 16-module Light L16 camera: Digital Photography Review
08-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many years has this been in development and how many times have I seen it hyped on social media? "Folded" optics? Does that involve inter-dimensional quantum transfer per a transient tesseract?

Steve

(...sorry for the sarcasm...)

08-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Folded optics is a revolutionary, completely new concept that...
Wait. It's actually quite old... I can't say how old, but I could find this 1870 Kodak patent:
Patent US3658411 - Folded path zoom lens - Google Patents

Of course, Ricoh Imaging is using folded optics themselves, for example in the WG series:
WG-5 GPS | RICOH IMAGING
and binoculars.
Isn't the K-1 SAFOX's optics another example of folded optics?
08-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait. It's actually quite old... I can't say how old, but I could find this 1870 Kodak patent:
1970, perhaps? Good find though. Looking at the patent, it appears that the application was for a compact cinematographic camera.

Steve
08-05-2017, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, sorry, I mistyped - and since it's a Kodak patent, it seemed to belong in another age...

08-06-2017, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks like an interesting device as long as what you want to photograph is not too close (parallax issues) and not too distant (limits of the 150 mm equivalent optics).

It will also be prone to some really strange artifacts under a range of conditions: if near-ground and background objects overlap; if textures have certain spatial frequencies and angles aligned with the modules. Presumably the sensors have a global shutter design or this thing wil do extremely strange things with moving objects. I'd also wonder how well these units will age if any of those optical assemblies shrink or warp over time, heat, and handling.

But it does look like a nice travel camera as long as one can get some sort of protective folding holder that keeps fingerprints and dust off the front glass (and doubles as a sun shade to prevent flare.)
08-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, sorry, I mistyped - and since it's a Kodak patent, it seemed to belong in another age...
I didn't click on the patent, but I assumed it was referring to a folding camera!
09-06-2017, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Presumably the sensors have a global shutter design or this thing wil do extremely strange things with moving objects.
Boo, bring on the rolling shutters, preferably at differing speeds (and directions!). It's about time the genre of "rolling shutter artifact photography" received serious attention!
09-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure it will be fine. The issue with compact cameras usually isn't the number of megapixels available and the ergonomics look pretty suspect on this and, at least in the beginning, is going to be pretty expensive.
09-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the ergonomics look pretty suspect on this and, at least in the beginning, is going to be pretty expensive
So it's too early to claim Pentax is doomed as a result of this new camera. Phew!
09-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It just seems like this gets brought up in the context of cell phone cameras, I guess the idea being if you could have four or five cameras in a cell phone then you could have better image quality. It just feels like the cost would add an awful lot to your average cell phone. Would people be willing to be 1200 dollars for a cell phone with a camera that gave APS-C quality images? I have no idea.