Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zenit Back With a Mirrorless body?

Zenit is back in business, plans to release full-frame mirrorless camera in 2018: Digital Photography Review

08-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if Zenit restarting is good or bad...KMZ did seem to have the best quality control of the Soviet factories, I guess.
08-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting that many people commenting on the article think that Zenit is collaborating with Pentax...

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 07:25 PM ----------

Maybe we can add "Zenit is doomed" thread to "Pentax is doomed"...
08-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm pretty certain the camera in the photo is a film camera, but that's fine as they haven't made a worldwide announcement that I've found.
I'm also curious to find out who they collaborated with and what lens mount they are using.

08-22-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera's are electronics nowadays. There isn't a company in Russia that can do decent consumer electronics. It will likely be a Chinese camera.
08-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Camera's are electronics nowadays. There isn't a company in Russia that can do decent consumer electronics. It will likely be a Chinese camera.
This would not surprise me, and if it is so I'll probably not give it another thought. I just don't see decent quality control in that scenario.
08-22-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I am from Moscow and was excited to see the news a couple of days ago. The sources I found do not point as to what mount would be used but they do say that it is going to be a collaboration with a big player in the industry (whatever that might mean) and that this ff mirrorless is set to be priced no more than a top rated smartphone. I will keep you guys posted if something else comes up.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

08-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
I am from Moscow and was excited to see the news a couple of days ago. The sources I found do not point as to what mount would be used but they do say that it is going to be a collaboration with a big player in the industry (whatever that might mean) and that this ff mirrorless is set to be priced no more than a top rated smartphone. I will keep you guys posted if something else comes up.

A big player in the industry? .. that pretty much leaves Pentax out.

You definitely want access to more selection for your "frankenzilla" camera than Pentax currently offers if you're going the mirrorless route. And you definitely want a company's mount that doesn't currently do mirrorless.
08-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Not sure if Zenit restarting is good or bad...KMZ did seem to have the best quality control of the Soviet factories, I guess.
So is anyone sure that KMZ is actually behind this announcement - or is it just another case of the brand name having been bought by "someone else" (the Vivitar brand being a good example, having changed ownership several times) who wants to make a "new" name for themselves?
08-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
The sources I found do not point as to what mount would be used but they do say that it is going to be a collaboration with a big player in the industry (whatever that might mean) and that this ff mirrorless is set to be priced no more than a top rated smartphone.

So it's going to cost as much as a Sony A7 and may it is one (Sony has done this before with Hasselblad).
08-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Mirror Less RUMOURS say its "rumoured" to be Medium Format, its Canon that's got the latest FF mirror less rumour floating around(the Nikon rumour is OLD!).
08-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
So is anyone sure that KMZ is actually behind this announcement - or is it just another case of the brand name having been bought by "someone else" (the Vivitar brand being a good example, having changed ownership several times) who wants to make a "new" name for themselves?

KMZ is behind this announcement for sure. They are not going anywhere soon as they still produce quite a bit of stuff.

08-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
director of Zenit’s Krasnogorsk Mechanical Plant recently spoke about the upcoming camera to a Russian radio station.

“We plan to revive the direction of production of digital photographic equipment and consider the option of industrial cooperation, since competence on the component base in the country is currently absent,” says a man named Sergeyev, according to the RNS Information Agency. “We have a close cooperation project with one of the leading photographic equipment companies in order to create a joint product, where KMZ is involved in manufacturing infrastructure for the production of optics for these cameras. And electronics will be manufactured abroad.”

There’s no word on who this “leading photographic equipment company” is, but Zenit will be leaning on another brand’s manufacturing prowess.

“It will be modernized, but the characteristic contours, ergonomics, camera lines will be integrated into it,” the director continues. “It will be a full-frame, mirrorless digital camera.”

The camera will also be released in two color options (dark and light) and will feature leather styling with high-quality finishing materials. The director also notes the upcoming Zenit camera will be “more expensive than a good smartphone.”

This pricing detail suggests that this full frame mirrorless camera might be a different model than the Leica competitor since Leica’s M series cameras cost much more than “a good smartphone.”
08-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Production of optics - Sony FE?
08-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The persistent talk at other forum is that it might be a K mount, as Zenit may design this MILC back compatible to their existing lens, even though Zenit hardly has any.
I suggested a K01 retro designed, and Bogen said why not?