Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
So what do you guys think? thanks
Why not just sell off your Pentax gear and invest more heavily in Fuji? Maybe buy a second body...

08-31-2017, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Comments?
Fuji image is smaller!
08-31-2017, 05:38 PM - 7 Likes   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I see these types of posts fairly often. Here is the bottom line and it covers them all.......

If you have one of the major brands of cameras in 2017 and can't get decent to superb pictures from it, the problem has nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with you. They pretty much stopped making poor cameras a good while back. You may "prefer" this or that brand for various personal reasons, but the capabilities are there in all of them for excellent results. Fan boys hate to hear such "blasphemy".......but it is the unvarnished truth.

Regards!
08-31-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

So what do you guys think?
Well,firstly both those system set ups are excellent.

Secondly,Fujikina is happening in Tokyo Sept 7th....it'll be interesting to see what rumours become reality!....a stabilised body from FUJI?????

I am working on expanding my landscape photography to FF K-1
You wont be disappointed, sell K3 but retain the 55/40/70/77...get the baffle removed from the 60/250....the off brands 28/75 90 24 50 85 will suit the K1....the 10-20 works with a 1.4TC, making it a 14/28(centre of frame is good but edges a bit soft, the 15-30 DFA is appently outstanding)...

08-31-2017, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
yep... i think you are a big fuji fan and want us to join.

I also think fuji builds/built great cameras.
I like the fine film(analogue) compacts from fuji.

But shooting the fuji in a more sunlit situation (with that shiny highly exposed bushes in the background ) and the Pentax in the dark... well that seems a bit unfair to me.

It reminds me of some guy doin advertising for Canon cameras in here on Pentaxforums... LOL (same person now got contracted by Fuji?-User "Pentax_WA" joined July 2017...)
(he played with the white balancing and said, canon would do so much better... whilst it actually was a totally different lighting situation and 100% touched outputs)

furthermore:
I totally agree with Winder... calibrate the K-1 to your likings.. and it will win as high as a house... there are so many options to calibrate the color output...as well as the sharpening factor....
-that option is altering what you could adjust(or is adjusted automatically by the App) if you would refine a RAW in photoshop, but it does apply that directly to every photo that you shoot as JPG
many people dont even know that you can choose:

A)Sharpness
B)Fine Sharpness
C)Extra Sharpness
... and adjust the value either to the left or to the right.

BTW: For sure there are some Fuji lenses that are real sharp, but still there are equivalent sharp K-Mount lenses.

I am pretty sure the DFA 100mm F:2.8 WR stands pretty good against ANY fuji lens.
Dont get me wrong, i didnt test THAT much fuji lenses...
But even a comparison at dpreview(admitted i dont know what lenses they use), will not show a sharper picture on the fuji side, when you compare
... for instance.. XT-2 to K-3II

BTW... (only interesting for studio IMHO but the feature is very welcome)... Pentax has pixelshift. :P

P.S.: This is a situation where i want to remind every reader to read my signature and think about it.
funny signature line.
I don't want anyone to switch to fuji, hahha. I have invested over $10K in Pentax ecosystem...
Thanks for the feedback

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:09 PM ----------

Pentax_WA, you understand that you chose shots with two different backgrounds? You haven't controlled variables, and that's what you need to do if you want to make a comparison.

Here are two still lives from Imaging Resource properly comparing the XT-2 and K-1 JPEGs.

Comments?

Digital Cameras, Fujifilm X-T2 Digital Camera Test Image

Digital Cameras, Pentax K1 Digital Camera Test Image
actually the background is the same spot, very small front yard and the lighting was the same, the sun was shining at the background in all pictures.

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Why not just sell off your Pentax gear and invest more heavily in Fuji? Maybe buy a second body...
If they ever come up with FF, I might switch over, but as of now, I've got good collection of Pentax Lenses for most of my works and can't justify the premium cost of similar fuji lenses, beside as far as macro and my landscape, I am very happy with Pentax. It's the portrait and widelife that I am not very happy with P system.
08-31-2017, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
actually the background is the same spot, very small front yard and the lighting was the same, the sun was shining at the background in all pictures.
?

Are you saying the K-1 is so bad that it made the sun disappear from your bushes? Your Fuji shot has a fully lit background.

I asked you to look at the two pictures Image Resources took and explain the superiority of one over the other - what someone would sell their gear and swap brands for.

I am very happy with Pentax. It's the portrait and widelife that I am not very happy with P system.
I take these kinds of portraits and wildlife pics with the P system ... are you claiming you can't do the same?

08-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
?

Are you saying the K-1 is so bad that it made the sun disappear from your bushes? Your Fuji shot has a fully lit background.

I asked you to look at the two pictures Image Resources took and explain the superiority of one over the other - what someone would sell their gear and swap brands for.

I take these kinds of portraits and wildlife pics with the P system ... are you claiming you can't do the same?

I didn't say K1 is so bad, I asked questions as why such a different result.
I didn't say again you can't take portrait or wildlife, I merely referred to AF system, amount of PP requirement etc. Of course I have taken wildlife with my k3ii but number of shots I had to take in order to get one i liked compared to fuji xt2 or sony a6500 I tried, Pentax is clearly way behind. As of the folks here said pentax fanboys dont like to hear the truth.

08-31-2017, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they ever come up with FF, I might switch over, but as of now, I've got good collection of Pentax Lenses for most of my works and can't justify the premium cost of similar fuji lenses, beside as far as macro and my landscape, I am very happy with Pentax. It's the portrait and widelife that I am not very happy with P system.
Hmmm. I see excellent portraiture and wildlife photos done with Pentax on this forum, so I can't really say what it is about Pentax that is holding you back. I don't shoot portraits so I don't have anything productive to say regarding settings or technique. I can say that @Rondec, who posted earlier in this thread, shoots some of the finest, restrained, tasteful, impromptu portraits I've ever seen, using various Pentax bodies and lenses. And there are several other members here who post polished, professional-level model shots on a regular basis. Look how well @clackers managed the light in the portrait he posted.

The way I see it - and I think I'm being objective - is that you can ditch the Pentax APS-C stuff because you like the Fuji system, and it can be nice to have different shooting experiences by using 2 systems. I think that helps keep things fresh. Or you can ditch the Fuji gear, because by using 2 Pentax bodies you can share lenses and have a fairly consistent shooting experience. That streamlines things. But to divest yourself of your Pentax APS-C setup because it can't do what your Fuji gear can do seems, to me, a fallacy.

Whatever you do, it's not like you'll be losing out. You will still be using fine equipment. Just do what will make you happy.
08-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I see these types of posts fairly often. Here is the bottom line and it covers them all.......

If you have one of the major brands of cameras in 2017 and can't get decent to superb pictures from it, the problem has nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with you. They pretty much stopped making poor cameras a good while back. You may "prefer" this or that brand for various personal reasons, but the capabilities are there in all of them for excellent results. Fan boys hate to hear such "blasphemy".......but it is the unvarnished truth.

Regards!
Thanks for your input. When you compare those new 2017 models, fuji xt2, Sony or even olympus, to pentax, unfortunately pentax falls behind on AF department. Yes with pentax we can take great pic, but when you see sony AF system with eye detection, and compare those pic to any other camera, you immediately notice the difference and I know this is pentax forum so fanboys don't like to hear this.
08-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't say K1 is so bad,.

Yes you did: "K-1 background is just terrible."

You need to tell the truth here, don't say that.

You also rigged the photos so there was sun only in the Fuji pic. I have seen less blatant before/after comparisons in late night TV exercise equipment commercials!

For the third time ... I've given you two fair photos from Image Resources - what do you think?

Last edited by clackers; 08-31-2017 at 11:14 PM.
08-31-2017, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

(from reading at all the posts here.) It is so clear you not only like fuji but also unhappy... very unhappy with Pentax.
If I were you, I would drop all of my Pentax gears at a very cheap price right now in the market place, and go FUJI all the way. I wouldn't wast my time asking this and that any more.
I did that to all of my Dell computers and Sony electronic devices long ago and never look back. I gave them away.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-31-2017 at 11:16 PM.
08-31-2017, 11:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes you did: "K-1 background is just terrible."

You need to tell the truth here, don't say that.

You also rigged the photos so there was sun only in the Fuji pic. I have seen less blatant before/after comparisons in late night TV exercise equipment commercials!

For the third time ... I've given you two fair photos from Image Resources - what do you think?
I think there is a clear misunderstanding here about my perception of K1 and no I didn't rigged the photo. It's funny to see some folks are so bias about Pentax that no matter what camera it's compared against, there is always something against that manufacture. Ive taken and sold great portrait with Pentax ,you can check my website,but when I tested Sony and Fuji,I found them to be a step above Pentax in terms of optics and AF system. At the end of the day, these are toys for fan boys to play with.

---------- Post added 09-01-17 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think since you specifically mention portraits, you would be downright foolish to let the 56/1.2 go. It is one of the best lenses I have used.
Having said that, if you do get a K1, and can find an A*85/1.4 to go with it, you will have a better combination, more because of the increased sensor size and the advantages that go along with it than anything about the lenses.
Fuji prime lenses are head and shoulders better than ANY of the Pentax lenses I own, and I own a heck of a lot of Pentax lenses.
I'll keep the 56 and planning on getting P85 when is out to go with K1 for portrait.

---------- Post added 09-01-17 at 12:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Are you shooting out of camera jpegs? Because regardless of the camera you are using, you should be able to get similar colors. I know Fuji has a really good jpeg engine, but the K-1 RAW files are pretty amazing to work with as well.

In general, I would prefer having two cameras that share the same mount, but if you like the Fuji better, then it would make sense to keep that and your favorite of the Fuji lenses.
Thanks for your input.
09-01-2017, 03:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess my perspective is that generally most of the cameras on the market right now are pretty good. Fuji has an excellent jpeg engine, but otherwise the output their cameras is pretty similar to the output from other cameras on the market. They have the whole X Trans sensor thing, but truthfully, that doesn't seem to be here or there, except it makes it so that DXO Mark doesn't test their cameras.

The most important thing is whether you like the handling of the camera. If you like the Fuji better than you should go with it. You are going to enjoy your photo shoots more if you connect better with it.

As far as the output of both cameras goes, I really think you should be able to tweak them so they give similar results. I shoot RAW mostly, but when I shoot jpegs, I get very similar results. What makes a portrait work is generally a combination of lighting and composition -- not so much the details of editing. People do often like a warm tone to images and it's pretty easy to do that in Lightroom or whatever post processor you use.

As far as the K-1 specifically goes, I really like the dynamic range, the ability to shoot high iso. Backlit shots can be tough, even with APS-C size sensors as it is easy to end up with a bunch of noise in your subject and the K-1 can bring up shadows easily without a whole lot of issue. As I said before, you need to shoot with what works for you and crowd sourcing your decision won't really change that.

(two shots with the DFA 24-70mm on K-1)

09-01-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I'm going to bite my tongue here and delete the long answer....

I think you like the Fuji better. I think you selected your camera angles etc. so you created the image you like best with the Fuji.

Your evaluation of the Fuji out of focus areas is flawed. That's a really busy background with blown highlights. I'm not sure what criteria you used to declare it the winner, but definitely not by any standard I'm familiar with.

If you like the Fuji image better, (and after compensating for different lighting, with the K-1 having the most blue light and therefore completely lacking in warmth) I actually like the K-1 image. Not in terms of what was done, but in terms of what could have been done. The larger the format, the more you have to know to get what you want.

So, I'm happy to say go with Fuji, for you personally. For someone interested in learning photography and increasing their skill level, both behind the camera and in post processing, I'd say that's a mistake. But maybe you're just the kind of shooter Fuji had in mind when they developed their processing stream. Go for it if it makes you happy.

But don't expect a person such as myself to think that would be good idea for a more serious student of photography. You don't need my approval. But you seem to be asking what I think. So there it is.
09-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for the video. Fuji #4, Pentax #7. I tend to agree with him, Pentax JPEG engine is just awful. RAW files are great but even testing K1, JPEG are just not so pleasing. My samsung S8+ color are so much better. And no I don't shoot just jpeg, I shoot RAW+, but sometimes you just want to share the jpeg right out of camera. It saddens me to come up with this conclusion because I have heavily invested in pentax system for over the past ten years and got used to the menu, settings etc..;(
If you are only shooting JPEG "Sometimes" then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If you are primarily a RAW shooter then the K-1 wins easily. It sounds like you are primarily a JPEG shooter and if that is the case, then go with Fuji. Their film emulations are great.

But looking at the test images, the most important thing for you to do is to get your white balance correct. Pentax gives you extensive control over JPEG processing, but you don't seem to even want to adjust that much less work with RAW files.