Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Personally, I feel as though any image worth displaying is also worth editing. That may mean tweaking white balance (although on modern Pentax cameras it is pretty good), but it means more things like cropping, bumping shadows, or selectively adjusting contrast and sharpening within an image. Once you start doing that, one camera having a "better jpeg engine" than another camera ceases to be a good motivation to choose one over the other.
Good point.

Frankly, I am just surprised that circa 2017-2018, we still have this "I absolutely need Brand X to realize my photographic vision" narrative.

We get new/preferred creature comforts particular to a certain brand, but to say that one can't get the picts he/she wants with the current tools at hand is rather too much.

04-25-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I feel as though any image worth displaying is also worth editing. That may mean tweaking white balance (although on modern Pentax cameras it is pretty good), but it means more things like cropping, bumping shadows, or selectively adjusting contrast and sharpening within an image. Once you start doing that, one camera having a "better jpeg engine" than another camera ceases to be a good motivation to choose one over the other.
I would agree to a point. Again personally, I have recently had more fun sharing good jpgs straight out of the camera with those photographed, and focused on enjoying the place and opportunity. It's also taken me a while to realize that Photoshop and Lightroom (their upgrades, subscription, etc.) are acting as stressors that detract from my enjoyment of photography.

However I also enjoy playing with RAW for all of the reasons you have mentioned (and certainly do so for my Panasonic gear as there are significant improvements to be had). I know we don't necessarily agree regarding Fuji RAWs, but they stack up extremely well with any other 24mp sensors with software other than Adobe products (including Fuji's version of Silkypix). So if that is the desired workflow (or if you have a specific project in mind), it is certainly open.
04-25-2018, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
We get new/preferred creature comforts particular to a certain brand, but to say that one can't get the picts he/she wants with the current tools at hand is rather too much.
Yes, pinholecam, I'm baffled when a brand jumper posts pictures with their new toy, and it's clear they could have taken those photos with their old Pentax, or a new Pentax if that was the issue.

For the money being laid out in a change of platform, you'd be wanting improvement.

I guess it underlines again it's not what we're holding in our hands but what's in the space between our ears that makes for good photography.
04-26-2018, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I would agree to a point. Again personally, I have recently had more fun sharing good jpgs straight out of the camera with those photographed, and focused on enjoying the place and opportunity. It's also taken me a while to realize that Photoshop and Lightroom (their upgrades, subscription, etc.) are acting as stressors that detract from my enjoyment of photography.

However I also enjoy playing with RAW for all of the reasons you have mentioned (and certainly do so for my Panasonic gear as there are significant improvements to be had). I know we don't necessarily agree regarding Fuji RAWs, but they stack up extremely well with any other 24mp sensors with software other than Adobe products (including Fuji's version of Silkypix). So if that is the desired workflow (or if you have a specific project in mind), it is certainly open.
That's fine and for certain styles of photography (portraits, travel snaps), out of camera jpegs can get you there 90 percent of the time. Even there, if you are shooting portraits of a teen girl (or any woman for that matter) professionally, they are going to want you to do some touching up after the fact, cleaning up blemishes, smoothing skin, etc. That's the sort of thing that straight out of camera jpegs just can't take care of.

People sometimes act like post processing is a modern phenomenon, but if you read Ansel Adams series of books, you realize that he was a perfectionist about every aspect of photography, from the equipment he used to the developing process, and finally the printing process. He took copious notes during shooting in order to give him the best chance of getting the max out of his images. I still feel as though landscape photos are the place where you need post processing to get the highest quality. The dynamic range in many of these images is far more than what can be taken care of in an out of camera jpeg, even from a Fuji.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-26-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's fine and for certain styles of photography (portraits, travel snaps), out of camera jpegs can get you there 90 percent of the time. Even there, if you are shooting portraits of a teen girl (or any woman for that matter) professionally, they are going to want you to do some touching up after the fact, cleaning up blemishes, smoothing skin, etc. That's the sort of thing that straight out of camera jpegs just can't take care of.

People sometimes act like post processing is a modern phenomenon, but if you read Ansel Adams series of books, you realize that he was a perfectionist about every aspect of photography, from the equipment he used to the developing process, and finally the printing process. He took copious notes during shooting in order to give him the best chance of getting the max out of his images. I still feel as though landscape photos are the place where you need post processing to get the highest quality. The dynamic range in many of these images is far more than what can be taken care of in an out of camera jpeg, even from a Fuji.
Oh, I don't disagree that RAW will get you that bit further, and although I don't do professional work, I'd certainly use any advantage I could if so.

We're getting a bit further off topic here, but as a long time film user before digital, and for landscapes now, I agree with your comments around post-processing - it's simply now become more accessible and (far) easier. Per my earlier comments, a jpg can be a valid representation of a scene, where the content, composition and lighting makes sense, out of the camera.

Not always though. As an example, this is from C1 from a beginner me using that software, and due to the highlight torture, the jpg doesn't reflect anything close to the scene (Fuji though it may be):

Grazing
by Aaron, on Flickr

Back on topic (although looking at the OP's latest threads, I suspect their future is Fuji), I guess that it depends on what your workflow and output is, and what colours you like.
05-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, with around 15 different ones to choose from theres lots of "looks".The ability of one shutter press and 3 jpgs being processed in camera is also a neat feature.

Yes, around 50% of survey respondents on PF shoot raw only(last time i looked) as opposed to 22% in a survey on the main Fuji forum.

Before i bought into the Fuji system,i read their forum for around 18 months.Many comments about PP went along the lines of "I tried to match the Jpg and found i couldnt".A lot of people also commented that they bought into Fuji for exactly that reason.Personally,i havent shot a Raw on any of the 3 Fuji bodies i own.It is certainly one of the reasons i use their cameras.Every digital camera has a jpg engine,some use it and some dont.I shoot Raw and Jpeg with all the Pentax bodies.
I shoot raw plus always (did on my Pentax as well when I was still in that ecosystem) . I find a lot of the time I can go straight with how I shot , but tbh I edit anything I will be using to represent my art , but Fuji jpeg works really well for me as a snapshot social media platform -- and re someone above on film types the reason I will move to xpro2 or XT2 will be the across setting , it just blew me away when i tried it ( I wish it was one of the upgrades they flowed down )
05-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I will move to xpro2 or XT2 will be the across setting
Acros is only available to Xtrans 3, Classic Chrome didnt flow down to Xtrans 1....some comment I've read is by people who swear by the X trans 1 models,so they dont get to use Acros or CC.I didnt access either until i purchased XE-3 late last year,both are in the settings i use.

05-04-2018, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Acros is only available to Xtrans 3, Classic Chrome didnt flow down to Xtrans 1....some comment I've read is by people who swear by the X trans 1 models,so they dont get to use Acros or CC.I didnt access either until i purchased XE-3 late last year,both are in the settings i use.
yeah, I borrowed x-t2 boxing week and there were things I liked and didn't for sure..Acros though was a major like, the others were more in adapting to layout changes and where things were hidden in the menu, all overcome easily w time

I have a few pieces I am going to sell on (mostly film but probably a couple of my digital fuji ) and I will fund the prurchase of the new cam that way. I will keep for sure the XT-1 and X100T and the XE2 because it is primarily used by my wife). IXe1 Infrared probably gone not using it, Xpro1 will go haven't touched it since I got X100T, GW690 probably gone too just not shooting film enough (same for bronica kit , nikon kit, odds and sods and maybe my m42 collection ...become more minimalist and stop collecting things i don't use
yeah right