Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You need to select the WB for flash if you are using a flash and not set it for Auto WB.
This^^^^ Or set the WB to daylight if you prefer a slightly more warm tone. BTW, there's even an option in the menu for the camera to automatically switch the WB to flash when flash use is detected.

09-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
It's funny to see some folks are so bias about Pentax that no matter what camera it's compared against, there is always something against that manufacture. Ive taken and sold great portrait with Pentax ,you can check my website,but when I tested Sony and Fuji,I found them to be a step above Pentax in terms of optics and AF system.
I mostly use Sigma optics, because Sigma offered the package i wanted... But the PENTAX lenses I own, also deliver a bang for the buck...

Actually pointing out fingers to other brands that make great products is not my thing.... but everyone should get what is coming to one.
So let me tell you:
I know Sony optics(pretty expensive ones to be honest) that have the same flaws you would find with every other brand. End of Line.

But I also know the drawbacks of the Pentax brand at the moment(as you said AF system could be better...)and i don't deny it.
And as more people go on and say, that Ricoh should do something about the Autofocus, the sooner something will happen. So thank you!
09-02-2017, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are happy with the UI and haptics of the Fuji, are interested in keeping weight and dimensions (of the body, at least, given the lenses you have quoted), using it for people shots, and primarily shooting RAW with the current version of LR (or Capture One, Iridient plugin, etc.) or JPG as the primary output, then keep it, and sell the K-3II.

Lenses would be the other call. The 56 1.2 is special, but is quite heavy (as is the 50-140mm!). Personally, I do miss my tiny and good DA 70mm F2.4 (although not having to worry about focus adjustment on my Fuji has saved more than a few shots). I also adapt my Takumars on the Fuji, and with the digital split screen focusing, find it easier than the OVF). Against, that (and if you are shooting JPG) you can take advantage of Pentax distortion and edge corrections in-camera. AF speed on the newer Fuji lenses is very good and quiet. I also use the tilt-screen on a tripod, and for me the X-T20 touchscreen (while not as good as the Panasonic) is nice to have.

As others have mentioned, the JPGs on the K-3II can be tweaked to your liking, or you can use RAW. Personally, I find the reds on the current Fuji generation to be more balanced than the K-3II (which have been too magenta for my liking since the K-7 generation), but I like the output of the K-1 in this regard.

The comment that the Fuji RAWs and user capacity to learn and grow are limited no longer holds water with the current generation IMO. Both systems are still limited with respect to flash, but have recently gotten much better (HSS, triggering).

Battery-wise, Pentax is good. Durability, I would say that the Pentax is still better. Price-wise, the Pentax system is much more cost-effective.

Depends what you want.
09-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

funny signature line.
I don't want anyone to switch to fuji, hahha. I have invested over $10K in Pentax ecosystem...
Thanks for the feedback

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:09 PM ----------

actually the background is the same spot, very small front yard and the lighting was the same, the sun was shining at the background in all pictures.[COLOR="Silver"]

This is clearly not the case. The light on the background has changed significantly from your Fuji example to your Pentax example. Sorry.
QuoteQuote:

---------- Post added 08-31-17 at 06:12 PM ----------
QuoteQuote:
If they ever come up with FF, I might switch over, but as of now, I've got good collection of Pentax Lenses for most of my works and can't justify the premium cost of similar fuji lenses, beside as far as macro and my landscape, I am very happy with Pentax. It's the portrait and widelife that I am not very happy with P system.
The 70 LTD is an excellent portrait length lens on the K3, I find the 77 a bit short on the K1, the A85/1.4 is what I would consider minimum length for basic head and shoulders back to 1/2 length. I have an older K/105 2/8 that is quite nice for portraiture.
In a prior thread I made mention of Pentax's being way to slow to put primes on the market to go with the K1. They need to get half a dozen lenses to market pretty quickly, as far as I am concerned.
A super wide (14), a couple of wides (21, 24) a fast 50, and an 85 are basic system lenses that should have rolled out with the K1, or at least within a few months. A 105 and 135 are pretty big gaps as well.
I know that these lengths are covered by zooms, but an 85/2.8 is a very different lens from a 85/1.4, especially when that 85/2.8 is part of a 5 pound horse of a zoom lens.

09-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
[color="black"]
This is clearly not the case. The light on the background has changed significantly from your Fuji example to your Pentax example. Sorry.

The 70 LTD is an excellent portrait length lens on the K3, I find the 77 a bit short on the K1, the A85/1.4 is what I would consider minimum length for basic head and shoulders back to 1/2 length. I have an older K/105 2/8 that is quite nice for portraiture.
In a prior thread I made mention of Pentax's being way to slow to put primes on the market to go with the K1. They need to get half a dozen lenses to market pretty quickly, as far as I am concerned.
A super wide (14), a couple of wides (21, 24) a fast 50, and an 85 are basic system lenses that should have rolled out with the K1, or at least within a few months. A 105 and 135 are pretty big gaps as well.
I know that these lengths are covered by zooms, but an 85/2.8 is a very different lens from a 85/1.4, especially when that 85/2.8 is part of a 5 pound horse of a zoom lens.
I vehemently disagree.... I would have likened his big lenses to pigs, not horses.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2017 at 06:55 AM.
09-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Here are my shots I selected. same settings. JPEG no editing. Pentax on AWB with Portrait setting same as Fuji. I took about 20 pics with each camera including using Liveview on Pentax with Facedetection to make sure images are sharp.
K-1 background is just terrible. Both Pentax color are super cold. They blouse is also over saturated in Pentax.
The light on the background is so much different on the Fuji image and that's why you have such a big difference in your examples. I would repeat this test and find an area at complete shade or find a day when the sun is covered by clouds. I do like Fuji cameras because some of their models have hibrid viewfinder (I'm not a big fan of electronic viewfinder), but to be honest, I don't like the Fuji image you posted because the background is way too distracting and the green is over saturated.

Fuji has 2 advantages:

1. Godox has joined the party and support Fuji
2. autofocus which I found to be better on Fuji current cameras

Pentax on the other hand has K1, if you want to benefit from the resolution, the full frame's DOF and also from the dynamic range at a low price. A photographer from Romania who has some inside info said that Fuji has some surprises prepared for this fall. I'll wait a little longer to see if something happens in one or two months.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-04-2017 at 06:35 AM.
09-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I am working on expanding my landscape photography to FF K-1 and need to get rid of one of my APS-C systems to finance my FF line up. I've got Pentax K3II and Fuji XT-2 that I have been using for my portrait in the past and now that I've got more Fuji lenses for my widelife photography, I was thinking of downsizing my Pentax crop sensor area. So here are my current lenses:

Pentax : 16-50 DA*, 50-140 , 55 DA*, 17-70 DA - 85 Sigma, FA 77 and few more but I found myself mostly using 16-50 and 50-140 ( will keep DA* 55, Sigma 85, FA 77 ) with K-1 for portrait

Fuji : 16-50, 50-140 , 56 , 35 I started with 56 and now their equivalent to Pentax zoom lens

my lighting set up: cactus v6II and godox AD360 works great in HSS mode on both, very easy to swap.

to me, pentax has a better grip and I am very familiar with it's menu system, on the other side, Fuji has face/eye detection which I found great for portrait and the colors are, especially jpeg, lot closer to actual color. Pentax specially in Red/Pink area tends to over saturate. Also we Fuji and 100-400 and their great AF tracking, I can use that system for my widelife. which compared to Pentax 150-560, is lot lighter.

So what do you guys think? thanks
Is this real? You've got the DA*55, Sigma 85, and the FA 77 and a K-1 and you're asking for more portrait lenses? The only thing you're missing *maybe* is a good zoom for portrait work for versatility. Go get a Tamron 28-75 or the Pentax 24-70 and call it done.

09-04-2017, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Is this real? You've got the DA*55, Sigma 85, and the FA 77 and a K-1 and you're asking for more portrait lenses? The only thing you're missing *maybe* is a good zoom for portrait work for versatility. Go get a Tamron 28-75 or the Pentax 24-70 and call it done.
What he said.^
Unofrtunately it is a real example of an amateur expecting pro results just because he bought a capable camera.

Those of us who used to shoot portraits with a view camera find this whole thread ridiculous. You can't get the results with modern DSLR that we could get with our heads under a blanket focussing on a piece of frosted glass. Basically a box with a lens mounted on the front.Because, quite frankly, they don't know what they are doing.

This thread should not be about colour balance or AF. The OP should be told to take a course in portraiture from someone who knows what they are doing. It doesn't matter how good your camera is, you can't make a camera so good, that an unskilled person can't mess up with it.

And as for his attitude on jpeg... the reason most of us shoot raw, and PP is because we have to, to get the quality of work we want. We have to. One of the ways pros have always differentiated themselves is proficiency in post processing. Stop looking for shortcuts and expecting pro quality work. Jpeg is a shortcut. If you don't want to go for that level of control that's fine, but don't complain because your work isn't what it could be. No one likes hours of post processing, and in the old days no one liked long hours in the darkroom but if you want a quality product, that's what you do.

First show us you have a bit of skill at portraiture. And quit blaming your gear. There are so many errors in these images from a portrait perspective I don't think anyone here would choose to address them, just because they'd have to write a book. And I doubt anyone is paying to your evaluation of the cameras, becasuse we don't want our work to look like yours. When you get the portraiture thing right, then if you want to comment on how good or bad a camera was for portraiture, you'll have a portfolio of good portraits to demonstrate you case.

The essence of the OPs comments are that he knows nothing, he doesn't want to know anything, he wants a camera that can take his images and turn them into quality portraits. And that's not going to happen. The camera isn't the problem.

For gods sake, read a book, take a course, take an on-line course, watch a few videos, before you spend another cent. If you can't get anything with what you've got, buying "better" isn't going to help. Learning what you are supposed to be doing will.

I think people have sort of been dancing around the edges being polite. Someone has to point out the emperor has no clothes. I'm in a nice grumpy mood this morning so.... don't get all upset or anything. If you actually ever get any better at portraiture, which will help you understand what gear you need, you'll look back and thank me.

If you don't, then my apologies. I've wasted my time and yours.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2017 at 07:22 AM.
09-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It seems like you never tries 135, 70-200, or other telephoto for portrait.

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 08:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The light on the background is so much different on the Fuji image and that's why you have such a big difference in your examples. I would repeat this test and find an area at complete shade or find a day when the sun is covered by clouds. I do like Fuji cameras because some of their models have hibrid viewfinder (I'm not a big fan of electronic viewfinder), but to be honest, I don't like the Fuji image you posted because the background is way too distracting and the green is over saturated.

Fuji has 2 advantages:

1. Godox has joined the party and support Fuji
2. autofocus which I found to be better on Fuji current cameras

Pentax on the other hand has K1, if you want to benefit from the resolution, the full frame's DOF and also from the dynamic range at a low price. A photographer from Romania who has some inside info said that Fuji has some surprises prepared for this fall. I'll wait a little longer to see if something happens in one or two months.
Thanks for your note. Fuji's AF especially for continuous is simply amazing for moving Portraits. I look forward to seeing what's coming in Fall.

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What he said.^
Unofrtunately it is a real example of an amateur expecting pro results just because he bought a capable camera.

Those of us who used to shoot portraits with a view camera find this whole thread ridiculous. You can't get the results with modern DSLR that we could get with our heads under a blanket focussing on a piece of frosted glass. Basically a box with a lens mounted on the front.Because, quite frankly, they don't know what they are doing.

This thread should not be about colour balance or AF. The OP should be told to take a course in portraiture from someone who knows what they are doing. It doesn't matter how good your camera is, you can't make a camera so good, that an unskilled person can't mess up with it.

And as for his attitude on jpeg... the reason most of us shoot raw, and PP is because we have to, to get the quality of work we want. We have to. One of the ways pros have always differentiated themselves is proficiency in post processing. Stop looking for shortcuts and expecting pro quality work. Jpeg is a shortcut. If you don't want to go for that level of control that's fine, but don't complain because your work isn't what it could be. No one likes hours of post processing, and in the old days no one liked long hours in the darkroom but if you want a quality product, that's what you do.

First show us you have a bit of skill at portraiture. And quit blaming your gear. There are so many errors in these images from a portrait perspective I don't think anyone here would choose to address them, just because they'd have to write a book. And I doubt anyone is paying to your evaluation of the cameras, becasuse we don't want our work to look like yours. When you get the portraiture thing right, then if you want to comment on how good or bad a camera was for portraiture, you'll have a portfolio of good portraits to demonstrate you case.

The essence of the OPs comments are that he knows nothing, he doesn't want to know anything, he wants a camera that can take his images and turn them into quality portraits. And that's not going to happen. The camera isn't the problem.

For gods sake, read a book, take a course, take an on-line course, watch a few videos, before you spend another cent. If you can't get anything with what you've got, buying "better" isn't going to help. Learning what you are supposed to be doing will.

I think people have sort of been dancing around the edges being polite. Someone has to point out the emperor has no clothes. I'm in a nice grumpy mood this morning so.... don't get all upset or anything. If you actually ever get any better at portraiture, which will help you understand what gear you need, you'll look back and thank me.

If you don't, then my apologies. I've wasted my time and yours.
I suggest that you read my initial comment in more depth and perhaps look at my website and work before you write such amateur comments. You are wrong on some level and I am not going to spend time re-writing your lines to explain my disagreement, but if you have got a good camera with good techniques, it should cut your post processing time, so if you in today's world still spend lots of time on postprocessing, there is either something wrong with your equipment, or techniques. Fuji/Sony makes amazing and innovative cameras and unfortunately, Pentax has fallen behind. I do know how to take portraits as my clients clearly pay for them. Again, feel free to look at my website before make any more comment.

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess my perspective is that generally most of the cameras on the market right now are pretty good. Fuji has an excellent jpeg engine, but otherwise the output their cameras is pretty similar to the output from other cameras on the market. They have the whole X Trans sensor thing, but truthfully, that doesn't seem to be here or there, except it makes it so that DXO Mark doesn't test their cameras.

The most important thing is whether you like the handling of the camera. If you like the Fuji better than you should go with it. You are going to enjoy your photo shoots more if you connect better with it.

As far as the output of both cameras goes, I really think you should be able to tweak them so they give similar results. I shoot RAW mostly, but when I shoot jpegs, I get very similar results. What makes a portrait work is generally a combination of lighting and composition -- not so much the details of editing. People do often like a warm tone to images and it's pretty easy to do that in Lightroom or whatever post processor you use.

As far as the K-1 specifically goes, I really like the dynamic range, the ability to shoot high iso. Backlit shots can be tough, even with APS-C size sensors as it is easy to end up with a bunch of noise in your subject and the K-1 can bring up shadows easily without a whole lot of issue. As I said before, you need to shoot with what works for you and crowd sourcing your decision won't really change that.

(two shots with the DFA 24-70mm on K-1)

Great work. Adorable children.

Last edited by Pentax_WA; 09-04-2017 at 09:34 AM.
09-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're correct. I shoot with a 50mm on a crop body for portraits or my 18-135. It's not a main focus of my hobby. Honestly the DA 50 1.8 and what I can get out of my camera has people quite happy with the results. It's not mind blowing but it's getting the job done.

Seems overblown. Get out there and shoot the daylights out of your camera and existing lens collection. That's my advice. For fun I'm going to add one a portrait taken of a friend's kid so that she has pictures to send back home overseas. Very minor amounts of post processing done here and, while I'd do a couple "blemish fixes", the mom seemed very happy indeed with the shot.

Good luck, have fun.
09-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Fuji has some surprises prepared for this fall
I look forward to seeing what's coming in Fall.
FujiKina is happening in Tokyo in a couple of days

http://www.fujirumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/FujiKina-720x372.jpg
09-06-2017, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster

09-06-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see poor focus, motion blur, sharpening artifacts, blown highlights. /shrug
09-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I see poor focus, motion blur, sharpening artifacts, blown highlights. /shrug
I suggest you visit an optometrist.
09-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough crowd.

Shoot what works best for you. Fuji is a fine system. Other systems can get the job done too. Master whatever tool-set you have to get results.

Will your clients and subjects be able to tell the difference. Nope.