Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Tough crowd.

Shoot what works best for you. Fuji is a fine system. Other systems can get the job done too. Master whatever tool-set you have to get results.

Will your clients and subjects be able to tell the difference. Nope.
Thanks for your note. I'm keeping all 3of them. They play different purpose for me

09-13-2017, 05:33 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Life's too short. Buy what makes you happy.
09-13-2017, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

As someone who owns a D810 and D800, owned a huge collection of Pentax kit, and a Fuji XT1 kit (along with playing with Olympus and Sony as well...all 2013-2015 offerings) now own only Nikon and film Pentax. I am also looking at getting Fuji again... see my other topic on why. and it has very little, if nothing to do with image quality. Pentax, Nikon, and Fuji all help make beautiful images. In fact, I made custom profiles for my Nikon RAW's to get close to my Fuji files and then adjusted to taste.

The reasons I see to take Fuji over Nikon/Pentax full frame is because of the portability, size, and weight. When it comes to image quality they are different, but very similar and just depend on what you enjoy shooting more.

I lost my love for Pentax after getting into Nikon. The D810 is the best DSLR I have ever owned or used. Period. The XT1 however is the most enjoyable camera I have ever used.

No matter what I do during the remainder of 2017 and 2018 I will be buying an XT2 and 2-4 lenses. I will no longer invest in Nikon or Pentax at this time. Mirrorless is the future. I will hold out until January maybe to see if any of the rumors of a full frame Fuji/NIkon/Pentax mirrorless get any stronger before making a decision... but the XT2 is firmly in my sights right now and has been for a while. I'm mainly a wedding and portrait photographer too.
09-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
As someone who owns a D810 and D800, owned a huge collection of Pentax kit, and a Fuji XT1 kit (along with playing with Olympus and Sony as well...all 2013-2015 offerings) now own only Nikon and film Pentax. I am also looking at getting Fuji again... see my other topic on why. and it has very little, if nothing to do with image quality. Pentax, Nikon, and Fuji all help make beautiful images. In fact, I made custom profiles for my Nikon RAW's to get close to my Fuji files and then adjusted to taste.

The reasons I see to take Fuji over Nikon/Pentax full frame is because of the portability, size, and weight. When it comes to image quality they are different, but very similar and just depend on what you enjoy shooting more.

I lost my love for Pentax after getting into Nikon. The D810 is the best DSLR I have ever owned or used. Period. The XT1 however is the most enjoyable camera I have ever used.

No matter what I do during the remainder of 2017 and 2018 I will be buying an XT2 and 2-4 lenses. I will no longer invest in Nikon or Pentax at this time. Mirrorless is the future. I will hold out until January maybe to see if any of the rumors of a full frame Fuji/NIkon/Pentax mirrorless get any stronger before making a decision... but the XT2 is firmly in my sights right now and has been for a while. I'm mainly a wedding and portrait photographer too.
interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
If size matters, why not Sony line? Both mirrorless and you have options for APS-C and FF.

09-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
If size matters, why not Sony line? Both mirrorless and you have options for APS-C and FF.
Lenses are way to expensive.
09-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Lenses are way to expensive.
I second that. One of main reasons I didn't switch to SONY. feels like shopping at Nordstrom with its premium price tag.

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 06:54 PM ----------

On the other hand, if Fuji ever comes up with FF, I don't think they will be any cheaper than SONY tho. Pentax all the way to go
09-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's been more than a few articles written showing that the Sony mirrorless option isn't much smaller, either.

09-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I second that. One of main reasons I didn't switch to SONY. feels like shopping at Nordstrom with its premium price tag.

On the other hand, if Fuji ever comes up with FF, I don't think they will be any cheaper than SONY tho. Pentax all the way to go
Most of Sony aps-c lenses are less expensive or equal in price to Fuji aps-c lenses. The reason why Pentax can sell aps-c lenses cheaper is because their cheaper lenses don't have the SDM focus by contact systems and all sony and fuji focus by lens motor. The ones that have SDM are all higher end and are in line mostly with fuji and sony prices. Personally I dont mind screw drive. I use it on my sony and my pentax.
09-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly, thou, the mighty K-5 II is a portrait camera. My kingdom for a DA*55!
09-14-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Unsubscribe from this thread.
09-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

yea I don't think so either. even the APSC offerings from Fuji are a fair penny...

I remember one of the largest complaints of pentax was the lens lineup, I think Sony's is way worse. Not a strong "affordable line" and the pro line isn't complete (And is incredibly pricey). Pentax at least has the core 3 zooms and an amazing APSC lineup.

The main reason, for me, to go with a hypothetical Fuji 35mm system is the vintage control setup (I love it), the EVF, and the Profoto flash support. If NIkon comes out with a 35mm mirrorless system, no need to look at Fuji for me anymore as it would reduce the money I'd need to spend (Assuming there would be adapters). If Pentax came out with a FF Mirrorless it would be something to seriously look at as an option vs the Fuji. Unfortunately it would cost me more to change lighting rigs than camera rigs, and I can't get the HSS Priorlite's locally... and I only shop local for camera gear.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-14-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Bickering
09-14-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huge respect for your input on these forums Norm, but I think on reflection you went a bit over the top on this one.
09-14-2017, 12:28 PM - 8 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Wow...can't believe I read through all of that.

A few people definitely made some good points that I wholeheartedly agree with. Basically there are no bad cameras being made anymore so you just have to go with the system you personally like. Sounds like you prefer the Fuji setup. If you don't plan on doing much post processing than I think the Fuji will be fine for you. I mostly do portraiture, still-life and landscape so I never had any issues with AF on the Pentax system. I absolutely love the dynamic range that the K-1 gives me. An area where Fuji and Canon are both lacking when compared to Nikon, Sony, and Pentax. I like Fuji for the look and feel of the camera. I dig the retro vibe. I also like the video capabilities of the XT-2 especially after this latest firmware update but other than that I prefer the K-1. I have three friends in my area who own the Nikon D810 and two with the D750 all of which shoot portraits. They have stated that they are quite impressed by the output of the K-1 and the FA 85 in regards to portraiture. A few example shots:

Shots taken with external flash, natural light, ISO range from 100-1600. Both day and night. LR CC with Nik Efex plugins.

Last edited by LeRolls; 09-14-2017 at 01:24 PM.
09-15-2017, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Awesome set Christopher!
09-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Awesome set Christopher!
Thank you kindly!

A lot of credit to the models as well.