Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 619
Action Cameras or 360 cameras need help

Hello all does anyone have any knowledge on action cams or 360 cameras?

Looking for use on a motorcycle/car to record my commute and as much as Id like to use the theta, it doesn't allow for a very long record time or have a slot for extended memory. Also as much as I use to use GOPRO, I always had an issue with the power on those things, usually with the batteries not making contact.

so with that in mind does anyone know of a model that will record up to 1.5 hours continuous, have battery life that would last up to at least 3 hours, and have expandable memory?

Preferably 360 but at this point any action cam would do.

Any help would be great. the Information out there is a little lacking when it comes to battery record time

oh and as much as 4k is the new thing, 720/1080 would do if its clean and clear

09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,748
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Hello all does anyone have any knowledge on action cams or 360 cameras?

Looking for use on a motorcycle/car to record my commute and as much as Id like to use the theta, it doesn't allow for a very long record time or have a slot for extended memory. Also as much as I use to use GOPRO, I always had an issue with the power on those things, usually with the batteries not making contact.

so with that in mind does anyone know of a model that will record up to 1.5 hours continuous, have battery life that would last up to at least 3 hours, and have expandable memory?

Preferably 360 but at this point any action cam would do.

Any help would be great. the Information out there is a little lacking when it comes to battery record time

oh and as much as 4k is the new thing, 720/1080 would do if its clean and clear
I'd go for a gopro for that. The Theta is amazing for selfies and travel shots, but when it comes to something that's rugged and can record for a long time, gopro fits the bill perfectly. While not 360 their field of view is still really wide, ideal for motorsports IMO. I've never had any battery issues with my hero 2 and it can certainly record for that long as long as the card is big enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 619
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd go for a gopro for that. The Theta is amazing for selfies and travel shots, but when it comes to something that's rugged and can record for a long time, gopro fits the bill perfectly. While not 360 their field of view is still really wide, ideal for motorsports IMO. I've never had any battery issues with my hero 2 and it can certainly record for that long as long as the card is big enough.
Yeah Ive had a couple since the hero 2 model that haven't really held up, have a few friends with the same issues. video was lost, and left a bad taste. Although their battery life and recording time are excellent(when it worked), was hoping there was another brand that people used or recommended.
09-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,295
I sampled a Garmin Virb 360 on the motorcycle:


I returned it because one of the mics was not working. Not sure about battery life but I doubt many will last 3 hours. You may want to see which runs you can run off a 12v USB hooked up to the battery.

09-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,226
Look on Youtube @ all the comparisons...the elcheapo Chinese knock offs are all you need...$100
09-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MJL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Canadian WetCoast
Photos: Albums
Posts: 375
I used a Hero 4 on a car trip with this USB cord plugged to a Samsung 9000 mA cell phone power pack and it lasted me 8+ hours. They also make a cable for Hero 3 and I think Hero 5 can be powered directly from the USB port.

GoPro Hero Solutions | Core SWX
09-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 619
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I sampled a Garmin Virb 360 on the motorcycle:

Testing the Garmin Virb 360 on a Honda Africa Twin motorcycle - YouTube

I returned it because one of the mics was not working. Not sure about battery life but I doubt many will last 3 hours. You may want to see which runs you can run off a 12v USB hooked up to the battery.


Ah, that was your video. I saw that one. Good quality, terrible that the mic did not work. Do you have any experience with the sony action cams at all, the olympus tg tracker, or the 360 fly 4k?




---------- Post added 09-09-17 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I used a Hero 4 on a car trip with this USB cord plugged to a Samsung 9000 mA cell phone power pack and it lasted me 8+ hours. They also make a cable for Hero 3 and I think Hero 5 can be powered directly from the USB port.

GoPro Hero Solutions | Core SWX


Trying to stay away from gopro if at all possible, unless the 360 that is coming out will be alright.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
action, action cameras, battery, cameras, garmin, gopro, help, hero, hours, memory, motorcycle, record, time, usb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flashpoint StreakLight 360 (a.k.a Godox Witstro AD-360) kit deal @ Adorama Doundounba Pentax Price Watch 2 12-10-2016 10:36 AM
Need help with bird action shots Zealex Photographic Technique 20 06-07-2014 08:15 AM
Help, help, help! I need a case, box, trunk... dansamy Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 02-18-2014 06:17 PM
Cameras cameras cameras Lurch Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 04-14-2013 02:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: Chinon S-360 (Nissin 360) Bounce & Swivel Flash Unit (US/CAN) mtansley Sold Items 1 05-01-2011 10:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top