Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Chinon CP-9AF K-mount lens question

I have just bought a Chinon CP-9AF on ebay: it arrived yesterday.

It's very complex compared to my usual Pentax manual focus cameras. It seems to be mostly functional but I think there is a problem with the 28-70mm zoom lens. I simply cannot figure out how to zoom it! It worked only once, when I first stated playing with the camera but since then, it's kaput.

I have the User Manual but it is confined to the camera itself and doesn't explain the zoom function at all. There is a ring that I guess must be used to zoom it manually but it seems to be locked solid. (On the single occasion when it DID work the ring rotated.) Furthermore, in trying to move the zoom ring from its "locked" position I may have damaged some of the electronics because if I don't have the ring in exactly the correct position (there's a bit of wiggle around the "locked" position) the 3 program exposure functions, which are toggled by a square pad on the top of the camera, will not function.

I suspect that the problem may be associated with the correct interfacing of the lens's electrical contacts with their counterparts on the camera body. That might explain why I had to "wiggle" the lens rotationally to get the 3 program exposure functions to be operable.

Does anyone own this lens? If so, can you please advise me on how the zoom should work? Does the camera need to be in a default condition for the zoom to be operated?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this problem!

P.S. Well..........I feel a bit sheepish :-). I was just being too timid. I just got the camera out again, and used a bit more strength in turning the zoom ring. It worked! Maybe some internal grease had hardened and just needed to have its tackiness broken. So the only other minor issue remaining is the need to jiggle the lens slightly, to get the 3 program exposure functions to be operable.

I hope my little early morning story has amused you :-).

Last edited by Pentaxis; 09-12-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Post Script: I fixed the problem!
09-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a micro fibre cloth and a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens' contacts. If that doesn't work, do the same with the contacts on the camera mount, making certain that no alcohol or other stuff falls into the camera. One or the other (or both) should solve the "jiggle" problem.
09-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Use a micro fibre cloth and a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens' contacts. If that doesn't work, do the same with the contacts on the camera mount, making certain that no alcohol or other stuff falls into the camera. One or the other (or both) should solve the "jiggle" problem.
Many thanks for your suggestion. I shall do it!

Incidentally, the camera also can give a blinking frame count indicator on the LCD data panel. When this has happened the camera will not make an exposure. It happened for the second time today. According to the operating manual this indicator blinking, if working properly, should indicate that the multiple exposure function was in operation: in my case, that multiple exposure function was not selected.

Because I am so new to the camera I easily get really confused by any errors like that. I did clear the fault by repeatedly trying to make an exposure and eventually the blinking indicator was cleared and I could successfully make an exposure.

I shall see if the cleaning of the contacts can clear that problem too!
Thanks again for your advice.