Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

in body IS......(wait for it).......ON A CANON!!??!!

This really belongs in the rumor section, because it's based on a translation that could be wrong, but the new 50D from canon is rumored to have in body IS. An interesting turn if it's true, wonder if this will help take some market share back from Nikon.....

Canon EOS 50D briefly appears on Canon's Chinese site - Engadget

never thought I'd see the day.

Young Canon Guy "let's put IS in the body"
Old Canon Guy "nah, we are doing just fine charging hundreds per lens for the feature, why change now"

08-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I heard about that a while ago, and I believe that Canon really is going for it.
So many people are starting to realize that it's out there, and works as good as the in the lens systems. Potentially saving thousands of $ on lenses in the future.

If it works for Canon, Nikon won't have a much of a choice either.
08-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

If it works for Canon, Nikon won't have a much of a choice either.
Very true.

I wonder how it will interact with lenses that have IS? I assume one or the other will have to be turned off. I know a lot of people who shoot the 2/3/40D series and have a lot of IS lenses. Could be interesting.
08-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They say what the in-body IS is a translation error. I won't believe it until they officially release the info :P

08-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I saw the leaked Chinese webpage, and we were having a similar discussion on another forum I visit.

The sentence in question is
"镜头内置防抖功能,降低因手抖造成的影像模糊,带来更多拍摄乐趣"

Here's a pretty literal translation (done my me):

镜头 - Lens
内置 - internally
防抖 - anti shake
功能 - ability

So what the sentence is saying is :
In-lens image stabilisation, reducing hand held camera shake, and increasing your photographic pleasure.

Athough as has also been said:
QUOTE:"However it's a little weird for a camera to advertise in-lens antishake feature. So it's most likely a in camera anti shake feature (hopefully).

Oh btw, 宾得 - Pentax
08-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
I wonder how it will interact with lenses that have IS? I assume one or the other will have to be turned off.
I would imagine that if your shooting a full framed camera, along with one of the present lenses you'd want to use the IS in the lens.
So you'd still have a full framed image.

With an APS sized sensor I suppose that it'd be up to you which one you used.
Which one would give you the best image under those conditions