Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Argus Argoflex woes...

I bought a sampling of 620 film from the Film Photography Project, thinking that it should work in my Argoflex EF.

Not so much. It appears that the Argoflex can't fit plastic 620 spools, at least in the supply spool side. Also, it seems that the particular roll has a really thick and long backing paper, which meant, even after jamming the ill-fitting roll in the supply spool side, the film would not budge.

Does anybody re-roll 120 film on the metal spools?

10-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I bought a sampling of 620 film from the Film Photography Project, thinking that it should work in my Argoflex EF.

Not so much. It appears that the Argoflex can't fit plastic 620 spools, at least in the supply spool side. Also, it seems that the particular roll has a really thick and long backing paper, which meant, even after jamming the ill-fitting roll in the supply spool side, the film would not budge.

Does anybody re-roll 120 film on the metal spools?
Are the FPP 620 rolls on modified 120 spools?
10-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Are the FPP 620 rolls on modified 120 spools?
They are on plastic 620 spools.
10-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

From a bit of research... It appears that the FPP plastic 620 spools are slightly longer than the original metal 620 spools.

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Also, it seems that the particular roll has a really thick and long backing paper, which meant, even after jamming the ill-fitting roll in the supply spool side, the film would not budge.
I imagine that the plastic 620 spool is just too tight in the supply side and that is preventing the film from advancing. I don't think the backing paper would cause that.

I shoot 620 film in a Kodak Medalist. Respooling 120 onto 620 spools is fairly easy, if you have a film changing bag.

10-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
From a bit of research... It appears that the FPP plastic 620 spools are slightly longer than the original metal 620 spools.

I imagine that the plastic 620 spool is just too tight in the supply side and that is preventing the film from advancing. I don't think the backing paper would cause that.

I shoot 620 film in a Kodak Medalist. Respooling 120 onto 620 spools is fairly easy, if you have a film changing bag.
I don't have one, and was more just going to experiment with a few rolls of film, because 620 just seems to be the easiest (cheapest) way to start with medium format.

I did manage to fix one of the rolls of black and white into the Argus 75, but that roll did seem thinner as well.
10-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My not-so-great solution is to break off one of the tabs on the supply side, so that the width of the plastic spool fits. The take up side seems to be fine already.

Now I can experiment with some medium format film!