Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon & Nikon FF Mirrorless 2018

QuoteQuote:

Both Nikon and Canon are finally going to compete against Sony in the Full Frame mirrorless segment. Both companies should launch their new FF system cameras in 2018 (probably at Photokina in September).

I honestly think Sony is not going to change their camera roadmap release to wait and see how those cameras will look like. We are going to probably see a new A7III and A7rIII before the Nikon and Canon release.

But for sure Nikon and Canon are looking at the weak spots of the Sony system and will try to exploit them. I hope Sony will “prepare” for this and improve a couple of things like:

1) Lower the price on Sony cameras and lenses. Make them more accessible for people to join the E-mount system!
2) Improve on delivering more “mature” software (Example: fix star eater issue bug)
3) Rework the APP system so that third party developers can sell their APP’s
4) Improve the service (still issues in some countries)
5) Add functions that are long available on other camera system like real full touchscreen functionality, real 64 ISO, and so on…
6) Don’t do unnecessary “cuts” on hardware: A9 should have had 2 fast SD slot cards! USB 3.0 should have been long standard too. Improve the focus by wire (which I personally dislike).

It’s time for Sony to really growth up and give a really hard time to Canon and Nikon
Nikon and Canon both going FF mirrorless in 2018. What will be Sony's reaction? - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

10-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that they have had terrific growth by poaching Canon, Nikon, and even Pentax customers I'd say they'd probably better be prepared fro a loss of sales, but that would just be my guess.

Even if they keep all the mirrorless customers they have, the migration gravy train is likely to stop.
10-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FUJI
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
have had terrific growth by poaching Canon, Nikon, and even Pentax customers
and some from Sony and the M43s.

A recent announcement says they have outsold NIKON!....i'm not sure in what area or if its overall?
10-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
FUJI

and some from Sony and the M43s.

A recent announcement says they have outsold NIKON!....i'm not sure in what area or if its overall?
Sales in North America and only FF bodies. Its a pretty narrow claim, but still and important milestone.

10-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sales in North America and only FF bodies
I very much doubt that Fuji sold more FF bodies than Nikon???
10-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I very much doubt that Fuji sold more FF bodies than Nikon???
I was talking about Sony.
10-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I was talking about Sony.
Someone is talking about Fuji again, I wonder who?

10-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Winder,thats old news...the Angry has posted a YT saying Fuji have just outsold Nikon,in some?area....i suppose over the next day or so,there will be some clarification.

---------- Post added 10-07-17 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
talking about Fuji
I find it more interesting,ha ha...i know you dont care.

I still follow what CaNik$ny are doing as friends and relatives use them.
10-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Winder,thats old news...the Angry has posted a YT saying Fuji have just outsold Nikon,in some?area....i suppose over the next day or so,there will be some clarification.

---------- Post added 10-07-17 at 01:57 PM ----------

I find it more interesting,ha ha...i know you dont care.

I still follow what CaNik$ny are doing as friends and relatives use them.
Maybe in APSC cameras? The Fuji stuff is so good. So good!!!
10-11-2017, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The Fuji stuff is so good
Definitely a progressive company, my XE3 is on its way.
10-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Definitely a progressive company, my XE3 is on its way.
I'm very impressed with the company, the firmware update mantra, and product development. Reminds me of google in some ways.

I got my 90mm f2.0 on the way...hopefully Friday!
10-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just wish Fuji and Olympus would join the FF mirrorless market.
10-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I do agree, but I'm not sure we will see Olympus do it in the near future if ever. They are so invested in m4/3 and because of the m4/3 alliance there is probably less R&D costs associated to Olympus which helps out with their bottom line. I'm hoping Fuji will go full-frame, it would be amazing to have all 3 sensor sizes available. I would 100% ditch my Nikon system tomorrow if a Fuji 35mm system was available with the right lens lineup.

The reason I don't think Fuji will do it anytime soon is because they are so invested in the APSC and Medium format formats. They need to keep the GFX going strong. There have been infrequent rumors of a "entry level" medium format body as well. If they could get you into medium format for the same price as a D850, and then have lenses that are "entry level" and sub $1500/e cost (even a 75mm f2.8 @ $800-1000) then I think full-frame gets skipped entirely.

I think it would be amazing, and very smart. If you could get a D850 sized camera, have lenses aprox the same size as FF lenses, and get the price point even closer to the hi-res DSLR's... then you can make a serious case to those shooters. If they can get AF speed and the general speed of the camera to D810 levels then I think the industry gets flipped on its head. If anyone can do it... its Fuji.
10-12-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I do agree, but I'm not sure we will see Olympus do it in the near future if ever. They are so invested in m4/3 and because of the m4/3 alliance there is probably less R&D costs associated to Olympus which helps out with their bottom line. I'm hoping Fuji will go full-frame, it would be amazing to have all 3 sensor sizes available. I would 100% ditch my Nikon system tomorrow if a Fuji 35mm system was available with the right lens lineup.

The reason I don't think Fuji will do it anytime soon is because they are so invested in the APSC and Medium format formats. They need to keep the GFX going strong. There have been infrequent rumors of a "entry level" medium format body as well. If they could get you into medium format for the same price as a D850, and then have lenses that are "entry level" and sub $1500/e cost (even a 75mm f2.8 @ $800-1000) then I think full-frame gets skipped entirely.

I think it would be amazing, and very smart. If you could get a D850 sized camera, have lenses aprox the same size as FF lenses, and get the price point even closer to the hi-res DSLR's... then you can make a serious case to those shooters. If they can get AF speed and the general speed of the camera to D810 levels then I think the industry gets flipped on its head. If anyone can do it... its Fuji.
I would love to see Fuji bring the price of MF down to the $3,000 price point, but the glass is always going to be expensive. I really only need 3 lenses for what I would do with MF so its not a huge deal. I can see the GFX 50s dropping to the low $3,000s pretty soon. The Fuji GFX 100 is not far away and it looks like Pentax is going to replace the 645z with a new model in the near future. Used and discontinued 645z bodies will drop down into the $3000 range. My guess is that we see a back illuminated 100MP Sony sensor in the GFX 100 that has AF similar to the A7rII. That will be a very tough camera for Ricoh to compete against. Right now the GFX 50s is still rough around the edges and without PDAF on sensor it will never have very good AF in anything but bright light. I would have preferred that Fuji used the A7rII sensor and produced a 60MP camera.
10-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I can only grant you one wish,...you will have to choose!..

FUJI or OLYMPUS!