Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I just wish Fuji and Olympus would join the FF mirrorless market.
With what mount?

10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I can see the GFX 50s dropping to the low $3,000s pretty soon. .
Wow , I dont think so, Fuji is not selling anything cheap. It's $6500 now, just look at the price of their smaller cam , like the Xt-2 at $1800. You can have a dream but it will not happen soon.
10-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I can only grant you one wish,...you will have to choose!..

FUJI or OLYMPUS!
As a former E-3 shooter I would have to go with Olympus. I loved the 4/3 glass and the E-3 camera, but without a FF option they are dead to me. They have patented at least 3 full frame mirrorless lenses, so I know they have some level of interest in adding a FF mount.

---------- Post added 10-12-17 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
With what mount?
I really don't care. They can create their own. I would not want them to go to the FE mount. The FE was never designed to be a FF mount and Sony made some compromises to put a FF sensor in there. I would like to see a new mount designed for a FF mirrorless system with IBIS.
10-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I would have to go with Olympus
without a FF option they are dead
Not to me, their entry level OMD 10mk3 looks great to me...5 axis stabilisation makes handheld 4K just amazing.

---------- Post added 10-13-17 at 09:10 AM ----------

I would like to see a new mount designed for a FF mirrorless system with IBIS.
Its probably a logical move,IF, they have to make a move in the ILC market.With $ony as a major investor they have a link,however would Sony compete against itself,so to speak?

10-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Wow , I dont think so, Fuji is not selling anything cheap. It's $6500 now, just look at the price of their smaller cam , like the Xt-2 at $1800. You can have a dream but it will not happen soon.
It's gong to come down. The GFX 100 is going to be here in a year or less. The GFX 50s is a first generation camera with a lot of flaws. I don't think it holds its value very well when the second generation of GFX bodies hit that have PDAF on sensor. The GFX 50 is based on the same sensor technology as the 645z (which is about to get replaced), K-5, K-1, and the D800/D810. It is 7 year old sensor technology that was never designed for mirrorless. The sensor is not fast enough. For mirrorless, the speed of the sensor is of great importance. Everything starts with the speed of the sensor when you are talking about mirrorless.

---------- Post added 10-12-17 at 05:40 PM ----------

Its probably a logical move,IF, they have to make a move in the ILC market.With $ony as a major investor they have a link,however would Sony compete against itself,so to speak?
Sony sold all of their interest in Olympus. The Japanese government pushes Japanese companies to "help each other out" even if they are competitors to keep them from getting bought by foreign companies. Sony's purchase of Olympus was nothing more than Sony propping up a damaged Olympus company until it could recover from its rather large financial scandal.

The OMD Cameras are great cameras. I just don't have any need for a small sensor camera.
10-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

hope they will have something to show at CP+ early next year in Yokohama. Exciting news or better say rumor, and I am not even a Canikon user!

Last edited by pakinjapan; 10-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
10-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Sony sold all of their interest in Olympus
Ok,didnt know that.

I just don't have any need for a small sensor camera.
Fair enough, i do...i use point and shoots and bridge cameras at times...Size isnt important to me!

10-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to see Fuji bring the price of MF down to the $3,000 price point, but the glass is always going to be expensive. I really only need 3 lenses for what I would do with MF so its not a huge deal. I can see the GFX 50s dropping to the low $3,000s pretty soon. The Fuji GFX 100 is not far away and it looks like Pentax is going to replace the 645z with a new model in the near future. Used and discontinued 645z bodies will drop down into the $3000 range. My guess is that we see a back illuminated 100MP Sony sensor in the GFX 100 that has AF similar to the A7rII. That will be a very tough camera for Ricoh to compete against. Right now the GFX 50s is still rough around the edges and without PDAF on sensor it will never have very good AF in anything but bright light. I would have preferred that Fuji used the A7rII sensor and produced a 60MP camera.
The more I research the 50s the more I think it is a camera to wait for the second generation.

I can only grant you one wish,...you will have to choose!..

FUJI or OLYMPUS!
thats easy. FUJI!
10-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
thats easy. FUJI!
HA HA, well it wasnt so easy for me!...I was tossing up between the OMD 10iii or the XE3(battle of the 3s,in my mind).Both have features i like,the price decided it,FUJI was better value(i'll get the OLY when the price gets better).
So i had half hour with it yesterday and its unique,the joystick replaces the Dpad and is so easy to use.A fair journey this afternoon with plenty of shots i hope, but its overcast and showery too,so will see what comes along.
10-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The more I research the 50s the more I think it is a camera to wait for the second generation.
I think Fuji will make a big jump with the second generation GFX. I think they intentionally went with the older sensor to keep the price down and get the system started. Without PDAF on sensor and a much faster sensor its going to struggle. Given how quickly Fuji improves products, I expect the next generation to be a much improved camera.
10-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although the next Fuji MF will almost certainly be faster than the GFX, MF will always badly lag smaller sensor cameras for AF speed, frame-rate, live-view, and video. Both the physics of large format and the investment priorities of sensor makers (Sony would rather sell a billion smartphone sensors than a few tens of thousands MF sensors) create this lag. Also, MF will never get very cheap because of the vast amounts of silicon in needs: for the same amount of silicon needed to make and sell a single crop-645 sensor, Sony could make and sell almost 4 APS-C sensors or 50 smartphone sensors.
10-19-2017, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Although the next Fuji MF will almost certainly be faster than the GFX, MF will always badly lag smaller sensor cameras for AF speed, frame-rate, live-view, and video. Both the physics of large format and the investment priorities of sensor makers (Sony would rather sell a billion smartphone sensors than a few tens of thousands MF sensors) create this lag. Also, MF will never get very cheap because of the vast amounts of silicon in needs: for the same amount of silicon needed to make and sell a single crop-645 sensor, Sony could make and sell almost 4 APS-C sensors or 50 smartphone sensors.
It's true that taking a seriously multi-megabyte read-out off a big sensor is always going to be trickier and much more demanding than from a small sensor, and this limits things like frame-rates, live-view and so on. However, sheer speed isn't the reason folks are going to get into medium format, surely. It's the rendering and the look, quite apart from pure quality. And besides, the good enough bar will lurk somewhere in here. It just has to be "good enough" to appeal to enough people and then over time some improvements will come anyway. You'll probably never find it a good enough camera to follow Rob Roy at full tilt in the 3.30 at Towcester races but folks will start popping up saying they can do street with it fairly easily, etc, etc. A few nutters will appear claiming it's an ideal cam to take for a long vacation up the Amazon, etc. You know the bandwagon drill. Provided Fuji can deliver a fully supported system in the new few years, they do look to be on to quite a good thing here.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-19-2017 at 09:57 AM.
10-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Medium format isn't for shooting sports anyways. But I would love to have it for formal wedding work.
10-20-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's true that taking a seriously multi-megabyte read-out off a big sensor is always going to be trickier and much more demanding than from a small sensor, and this limits things like rate-rates, live-view and so on. However, sheer speed isn't the reason folks are going to get into medium format, surely. It's the rendering and the look, quite apart from pure quality. And besides, the good enough bar will lurk somewhere in here. It just has to be "good enough" to appeal to enough people and then over time some improvements will come anyway. You'll probably never find it a good enough camera to follow Rob Roy at full tilt in the 3.30 at Towcester races but folks will start popping up saying they can do street with it fairly easily, etc, etc. A few nutters will appear claiming it's an ideal cam to take for a long vacation up the Amazon, etc. You know the bandwagon drill. Provided Fuji can deliver a fully supported system in the new few years, they do look to be on to quite a good thing here.
Personally, I agree with you 100%!

And yet looking at what people say about Pentax AF shows that "good enough" is never good enough because the "good enough" bar is set by the best-of-the-best competitors and not any objective standard. I'd not be surprised if many photographers who have experienced AF, frame rates, a working speed on modern APS-C or FF bodies (i.e., the kinds of pros and enthusiasts most likely to consider MF) will find MF to be a big downgrade on speed (and at a huge extra cost). That's not to say some won't readily make the trade-off to get gorgeous huge MF image files but it will always be a big obstacle to broader sales of MF.