Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please recommend an olympus mirrorless for my wife

Hi all, my wife has been using a Samsung NX Mini for travel and 6 months ago the lens go kaput. I am disappointed with Samsung and would never buy their camera again.

I would like to buy an M43 compact mirrorless for wifey and had wanted the olympus ones since these have body IS. but there are so many models to choose from and this is making our decision very difficult.

Some of the things we wanted:

1. Body stabilization
2. Tilt screen (if the screen can rotate in such a way that we can do selfie, and rotate in such an angle we can shoot at low level and high level that will be great)
3. compact

Would be wanting to pair this with a pancake wide angle lens and a standard zoom.

Recommendations appreciated.

10-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The EM10 is a nice camera and seems to tick all the boxes for you, although the LCD is of the tilting variety and doesn't swivel.
10-21-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

I love the E-P5, which has the 5-axis stabilization from the E-M5 plus a tilt screen. It also shares a battery with the E-M5/E-M1, etc, so you can fit it nicely into a multi-camera system once you realize how good it is. The only downside is shutter shock, which can be tuned-out using anti-shock mode.

The E-PL5, E-PL6, E-PL7 are also solid choices, but only offer 3-axis stabilization and aren't built as nicely (though probably slightly lighter). Some of these can flip the screen for selfies.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the details. Olympus releases new bodies on a schedule rather than based on features. Anything newer than 2012 should be fine if you like the ergonomics. For the most part the sensors are the same, and the menus are convoluted-yet-powerful on even the cheap bodies, and they all focus fast when using a newer lens.

The Panasonic-Leica 15mm looks to be great, though I haven't used it and I don't like WA.

Any of the cheap 1.8 primes should be considered, though I don't personally like the Olympus 17/1.8. The Sigma 60/2.8 is a shockingly good lens, too. I can't recommend any standard zoom, the only wide-to-tele zoom that I've liked is the Olympus 12-40/2.8, which is big and heavy. Many people like the old Panasonic 14-45 though.

I've mixed Olympus and Panasonic bodies/lenses for years without problems. I wouldn't feel constrained to use only one brand.
10-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Please recommend an olympus mirrorless for my wife

You cant go wrong with any of the olympus bodies saying they are similar in image quality. The one major difference is feel.

I found the pen f to be a nice camera but i did not like it cause my hands started slipping while holing it so id need to buy something extra for the grip.

The epl8 has a screen that folds down so you can take selfies of yourself, but it has the older stabilization of the 3-axis. Dont think its an issue, but i cant really comment on it because outside of the store i havent used it

The em 5 and em 10 models are really nice. My hands were comfortable with those cameras. They have some nice features and liked the jpeg output. Only part is the screen flips out to the side, not sure if thats an issue with you and your wife. I was able to hold it above my head and look at the screen to take pictures or on the ground with the screen facing up to take low shots. Also with the touch screen its nice so you dont need to use the shutter to take a picture. And its compact. Id go with the em5ii model or the em10ii or iii models saying they are the newest with the newer features.

As far as compact goes dont over look the panosic lenses such as the 12-32, i dont think you can find a smaller package unless you use a pancake lens. I had no issue with placing that combo in a jacket pocket, granted it is not really the best for low light. More then half the time i just used the em5 with a 25 f1.8 to help with the low light and it had excellent image quality. I cant comment on the wider range, cause im still trying to figure that one out.

Hopefully this helps, and good luck on your search. If you are able to id recommend finding a store to touch these cameras to have an idea on the evfs and general ergonomics. Those two things made an impact on my decision.

Oh i forgot to mention the the em5 and em10 models, you can also take selfies with the camera if you so choose to with the screen out to the side.

10-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. We quite like the EM-10. Seem cheaper than the E-P5 also. The EM-10 screen does not swivel which is kinda disappointing.
10-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks guys. We quite like the EM-10. Seem cheaper than the E-P5 also. The EM-10 screen does not swivel which is kinda disappointing.

Hmmm, i thought it did. Sorry for the miss information. Still should be a great camera. Let us know how you two are enjoying it. Which lenses did you end up going with?

10-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go quick and purchase an EM 10 II. Since release of the third version, the price of the II version has been reduced and it's a real bargain. The III adds a few bells and whistles, but nothing that improves IQ, speed, convenience, or any basic camera functions. Get one at the lower price before they are sold out. AND, I highly, VERY HIGHLY, recommend the 12-100mm Oly lens. A bit expensive, but it is one of the best do-it-all lenses I've ever owned (and I've had many).. If your wife finds the camera a bit small and you're tempted by one of the accessory grips, PM and I'll send you a comparison on two of them (one by Oly, one by an aftermarket).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.
10-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

1. Body stabilization
2. Tilt screen (if the screen can rotate in such a way that we can do selfie, and rotate in such an angle we can shoot at low level and high level that will be great)
3. compact
Phones do selfies!

Panasonic GX85 is reasonably good value and the kit lens 12-32mm is retractable.Its an excellent lens in good light.FF fov of 24mm,its reasonably wide.Added bonus is great video 4K..A cheap alternative UWA(for good light)is the fisheye body cap Olympus 9mm.The curvature is minute,hardly noticeable.

The OMD 10 and GX85 are direct competitors,Panasonic is bang for buck.
10-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Phones do selfies!

Panasonic GX85 is reasonably good value and the kit lens 12-32mm is retractable.Its an excellent lens in good light.FF fov of 24mm,its reasonably wide.Added bonus is great video 4K..A cheap alternative UWA(for good light)is the fisheye body cap Olympus 9mm.The curvature is minute,hardly noticeable.

The OMD 10 and GX85 are direct competitors,Panasonic is bang for buck.

Anything you dont like about the 9 mm fisheye? Been looking at an uwa and thats one i was thinking about.

10-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Anything you dont like about the 9 mm fisheye? Been looking at an uwa and thats one i was thinking about.
Have a look at the Laowa 7.5 f2, it's a rectilinear design and reviews say it's a great lens for the system. I wish it was available when I was shooting mft lol, I had to buy an apsc 10mm lens and adapt via focal reducer adapter, so my setup was pretty hefty.

I think em10 II is probably the best bang for the buck in the system.

The em1 can be had for very cheap these days, and it's a beast of a camera, they added a ton of functionality with firmware updates, and they supported that camera for a veery long time due to its being a flagship
10-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I handled one during the week.It felt quite nice, no 4K video.The Mk3 would be my pick but in Orstralia its overpriced A$995 body only as opposed to U$649.Our exchange rate isnt that bad.Generally we get quite a good deal in OZ but not on the Oly 10(3) yet.

GX80/85 is the bang for buck body,can be had for just over 60% of the mk3 price.body only.

Anything you dont like about the 9 mm fisheye
Its good,i think i got mine used??? the 15mm BC Oly is ok too.Both are F8,so when the lights low,so are the images.
10-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #12

EM5 MII if you really want the fully articulated screen, em10 II,III, looses some features, but still gets good images and what I personally find important, access to a good system (M4/3) plenty of lenses with frequent updates, 3rd party and native lights.
Personally I went with a GX80, and I love it, don't really care about the 4k video, the 4k shooting modes.., I usually don't care about this kind of stuff, but since starting using it it's pretty useful in some situations. The AFC and tracking it's actually usable not bad really, no d500 obviously but usable, good buffer 41raw+fine with my SD extreme cards, and a excellent mobile app. Granted anatomically I'm pretty close to a perfect fit, right eye, no glasses, average to long fingers, this becomes kind important because of the ragefinder style, AF selection points, small viewfinder, not a problem for me, but can be for some.
Either way, it's all good.
10-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, i thought it did. Sorry for the miss information. Still should be a great camera. Let us know how you two are enjoying it. Which lenses did you end up going with?
We don't have any lenses yet. Need to confirm which body to go for first. Wpresto mentioned the 12-100mm oly lens. I might also look into that one for an AIO travel lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Go quick and purchase an EM 10 II. Since release of the third version, the price of the II version has been reduced and it's a real bargain. The III adds a few bells and whistles, but nothing that improves IQ, speed, convenience, or any basic camera functions. Get one at the lower price before they are sold out. AND, I highly, VERY HIGHLY, recommend the 12-100mm Oly lens. A bit expensive, but it is one of the best do-it-all lenses I've ever owned (and I've had many).. If your wife finds the camera a bit small and you're tempted by one of the accessory grips, PM and I'll send you a comparison on two of them (one by Oly, one by an aftermarket).
Thanks. EM10 II is AUD739. the EM10 I with 14-42 kit lens is AUD619. The EM10 II is also still just tilt screen.

There are now a few recommendations for the EM10 II so I will look into this even closer. Thanks.
10-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Have a look at the Laowa 7.5 f2, it's a rectilinear design and reviews say it's a great lens for the system. I wish it was available when I was shooting mft lol, I had to buy an apsc 10mm lens and adapt via focal reducer adapter, so my setup was pretty hefty.

The em1 can be had for very cheap these days, and it's a beast of a camera, they added a ton of functionality with firmware updates, and they supported that camera for a veery long time due to its being a flagship
that Laowa was one of the other two I was looking at as well

---------- Post added 10-21-17 at 06:21 PM ----------

We don't have any lenses yet. Need to confirm which body to go for first. Wpresto mentioned the 12-100mm oly lens. I might also look into that one for an AIO travel lens.

Thanks. EM10 II is AUD739. the EM10 I with 14-42 kit lens is AUD619. The EM10 II is also still just tilt screen.

There are now a few recommendations for the EM10 II so I will look into this even closer. Thanks.
that 12-100 is an amazing lens, great image quality, the extra OIS is nice, and it stays on my camera usually. If I had to say anything bad about that lens would be the size, for the m43 system it is a big and heavy lens(think bigger then the Pentax 28-105 size and also feels slightly heavier) , and some some situations for sunny days shooting towards the sun it fringes pretty well in comparison to other lenses. Outside of those issues, it handles really well, great range, and the quality over the whole range is awesome.
10-21-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

that 12-100 is an amazing lens
Many people make that comment...

it is a big and heavy lens
YES, for small compact and good,theres the 12-32 and 35-100mm Vario Panasonics...very light,both retractible and very nice IQ(in good light).Throw in both BCs and its a cheap LITTLE system.