Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony does pixel shift in a7R III

the details and video can be found here: Sony a7r III mirrorless camera officially announced | Photo Rumors

10-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Actually Sony tries a crippled version of it:

No final photo im camera:
QuoteQuote:
However, unlike the system Pentax uses or the earlier, 8-shot process used by Olympus, the a7R III cannot assemble the final images in-camera. Instead four Raw files must be processed using a freely downloadable image processing application for PCs
Much worse requirements regarding "static" subject:
QuoteQuote:
The camera must also wait either 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds between shots for the sensor to settle, which is likely to exacerbate the problems of subject movement between the first and last shot.
Seems like an Alpha product version (pun intended).
They will sell the green banana and buyers need to pray and hope that later firmware updates fix the issue.
10-25-2017, 01:22 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Ugh what a beast of a camera
Really shows Pentax needs to make an equally powerful K-02
10-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$$0ny does Pix$ell shift!

....very innovative that copying that OLD brand Pentax....

and its only $$$$$$3200 for the body?

10-25-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ugh what a beast of a camera
Really shows Pentax needs to make an equally powerful K-02
Beast for sure. It's been what, a year since the last version and this one blows it out of the water.
10-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C
Finally.

At last Sony got the memo about USB 3. As recently as the A9, Sony was still stuck on USB 2.
10-25-2017, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

This is actually good news for us, because support for pixel shift in software will probably increase now. Since it uses the same method as Pentax it will not be hard to support both brand's of pixelshift files.

10-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
and its only $$$$$$3200 for the body?
3500 EUR in Europe. Just a slight +1900 EUR more than my K-1 cost me at launch.
10-25-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
However, unlike the system Pentax uses or the earlier, 8-shot process used by Olympus, the a7R III cannot assemble the final images in-camera. Instead four Raw files must be processed using a freely downloadable image processing application for PCs
Because Pentax and Olympus hold patents on the more convenient approaches

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Same introduction price as the a7r II which is now $2400 or €3000. Much closer to K-1 pricing.
10-25-2017, 02:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam's probably right. The process is probably patent protected by Olympus, Ricoh, and I think even Phase One has some version of it. That said, it doesn't feel particularly worthwhile. You might as well just shoot 4 or 5 images hand held and then use software to combine them after the fact since that's what you're doing here.
10-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Great!
Everyone will think Sony invented it.
10-25-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Adam's probably right. The process is probably patent protected by Olympus, Ricoh, and I think even Phase One has some version of it. That said, it doesn't feel particularly worthwhile. You might as well just shoot 4 or 5 images hand held and then use software to combine them after the fact since that's what you're doing here.
As die hard fan of pixel shift, taking 4 photos and merging them later is NOT the same as true pixel shift.

I read about this on sonyalpharumors and It didn't mention (or I skimmed over it) the delay between pixelshift shots but otherwise this is a very tempting body. The fact that it doesn't merge them together in camera doesn't bother me. My OOC shots always have a checkerboard pattern to them. Not sure what's up, but the computer software processed version always looks beautiful.

Ricoh/Pentax, if you're listening. Take a good hard look at Sony. Also add an programmable delay between shots so that a flash can be incorporated. This would be HUGE for product photography.

EDIT: I meant a programmable delay between pixel shift shots so a flash can be used.

Last edited by serothis; 10-25-2017 at 12:04 PM.
10-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
As die hard fan of pixel shift, taking 4 photos and merging them later is NOT the same as true pixel shift.
Yes, especially since it looks like with Sony it will take longer between frames. This means lower accuracy and higher susceptibility to movement (including camera shake, wind). PS needs to be quick and precise. You can do bracketing with most cameras, and then merge the photos for some gains, but its not the same as PS
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
My OOC shots always have a checkerboard pattern to them. Not sure what's up, but the computer software processed version always looks beautiful.
You mean moire or moiree reduction artefacts?
10-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes, especially since it looks like with Sony it will take longer between frames. This means lower accuracy and higher susceptibility to movement (including camera shake, wind). PS needs to be quick and precise. You can do bracketing with most cameras, and then merge the photos for some gains, but its not the same as PS

You mean moire or moiree reduction artefacts?
No. it's a software anomaly. Checker boarding that covers the entire frame regardless of the image. It's hard to explain. I'll post an example when I get home from work. But this only seems to affect OOC Jpegs. Processed RAW files look fine.

As for the delay. .5 second (minimum) delay is unfortunate but it's not the end of the world.