Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bclaff Quote
You can clearly see the effect for Olympus by looking at Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) - Olympus High Res Shot Mode Special Edition
Perhaps in the future I'll have appropriate measurements for a Pentax Pixel Shift Resolution Special Edition as well.
Oddly enough, the chart seems blank when I follow the link to the page.

With that said, I'm not doubting the benefits personally, but more specifically, its feasibility. iow. I just don't think the practical applications aren't broad enough to conclude it be anything more than a novelty at this stage.
However, and with that in mind, I could see this tech. being far more useful if it could be executed in under 1/10th of a second(for example). Which would be imo. a practical threshold where it would count the most. Such as; landscape, fine art photography, studio work(none still) etc.

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-28-2017 at 03:56 PM.
10-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
he chart seems blank when I follow the link to the page.
To the right of the chart there's a box listing some Olympus cameras. Click on any/all and their results will appear in the chart.
10-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
To the right of the chart there's a box listing some Olympus cameras. Click on any/all and their results will appear in the chart.
Awesome. thanks!
10-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Yes, also there is a Chart Help button with more information; although a little dated (some screen shots have changed) I think you'll find the interactive charts are packed with interesting and useful functionality.

10-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is a method of spatial oversampling. The same method is use in high speed oscilloscopes where the same signal is sampled by multiple channels each having a sampling clock is phase shifted in small increments. So, for example, if the same signal would be sampled by 4 channels, each channel with 90 degree phase shift, the time resolution is 4 times faster than the time base of the scope.

How does that related to super resolution with multiple shots aligned? It is the same technique as spatial over sampling used by high speed scopes. The difference being that the phase shift is random, but each photo should be equally sharp. So , shooting at 1/2*FL would add some blur and it's not good at all. However, shooting on tripod is not a problem is the camera position is moved for every shot. Also, even 20 shots is not sufficient to ensure evenly spread camera position, 30 to 50 shots would be better to achieve super resolution on the basis of random camera position.

Between the constrain of very stable tripod for a sequence of 4 pixel shifted images and shooting a few dozens of shoots, I don't know what method is easier, IMO both method aren't as straightforward as a single shot.

Anyway, as I wrote in anther thread, unless printing XXXL, for the rendering of an image, more resolution is pretty useless compared to the use of a larger sensor, however, more resolution makes camera slower to operate while lower pixel count on a larger sensor brings better images at fast speeds.
I agree. My goal is to have the best single 36 megapixel file possible. From Pentax's standpoint, the only way to really achieve this is to shoot RAW pixel shift and then run the image through DCU or RAWTherapee (RT works better) to generate a high quality TIFF file. If Pentax would shoot 16 bit TIFF files with excellent motion correction masking already done then that would be the best possible scenario, but currently they don't do that. Even with that, there are probably only ten to twenty percent of landscape images that actually benefit from pixel shift -- most if you look at a single extracted image are roughly the same with less work to achieve the same result.

My guess as to Sony's implementation was that it had to do with existing patents from the other brands that currently do pixel shift and super resolution and Sony had to figure out how to do their own version without getting sued for patent infringement. Certainly it is tough when you are the fourth or fifth brand to release a feature.

From a personal standpoint, I don't have a reason to have more than 36 megapixel image. I just don't print that big.
11-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Not in pixel shift mode.
11-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The buffer, AF, & frame rate make it look like a great option. I just wish they had used the A9 body instead of the A7 body.

11-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The buffer, AF, & frame rate make it look like a great option. I just wish they had used the A9 body instead of the A7 body.
Well, its a better option than what CaNik offer.