Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #1

Need a sturdy traveller

Hi Folks,
I'm in love with my new-to-me K-S2, but there is no way I'm going to travel (domestic air travel, international air travel, etc) with ~50oz of camera, glass, chargers etc. Aside from the weight and wanting to be able to continue travelling carry-on-only, I'd be bummed if my primary photog setup was damaged or stolen.

Because of these concerns, I'm looking for a secondary camera that still takes great photos for travel, and also to just keep in my commuter backpack that goes into the city with me daily.

If I hadn't seen a friend get exactly 1 adventure day out of his Sony RX100, and read many other similar horror stories (condensation kills, sand, mist, etc) - I'd probably just try to get any old 1"-sensor super zoom. But since I am often in rainy, misty, dusty areas I think I need to have something about as weather proof as my S2 to feel safe taking it everywhere.

I also shoot primarily in low light, walking around after dark in cities, during sunrises etc.

Given my needs, I'm leaning toward a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ300K because of the weather resistance, micro-usb charge on the go, and constant 2.8 aperture. Unfortunately it only has a 1/2.3" MOS sensor and I'm worried that regardless of the good glass and big f2.8 aperture, it's going to take not-great night shots.
LUMIX FZ300 4K 24X F2.8 Long Zoom Digital Camera - DMC-FZ300K - Panasonic US

Anyone else have similarly priced counter-recommendations for weatherproof 1" or APS-C super-zooms?

Thanks!

PS: Flickr shots taken with the Fz300: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/fz300

Last edited by Kodiak; 10-30-2017 at 06:25 AM.
10-30-2017, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how much gear are you talking about?

I have travelled in the US and internationally with a K 3 and K 5, d fa 150 - 450mm and other lenses and stuff carried on.

I used a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, very tight but I got the stuff in

it certainly wasn't light to carry but I did get it to fit in the upper bins

in the US, I brought a carry on duffle + this item

over seas, where the baggage restrictions were different, I checked the carry on duffle and carried on the photo back pack

there are other similar back packs out there
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
how much gear are you talking about?

I have travelled in the US and internationally with a K 3 and K 5, d fa 150 - 450mm and other lenses and stuff carried on.

I used a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, very tight but I got the stuff in

it certainly wasn't light to carry but I did get it to fit in the upper bins

in the US, I brought a carry on duffle + this item

over seas, where the baggage restrictions were different, I checked the carry on duffle and carried on the photo back pack

there are other similar back packs out there
Thanks for the reply, but I've already ruled out the extra trouble of travelling by air with full DSLR components. I'm far to used to travelling with just a single 30L backpack that I carry on at this point to go back to multiple bags and multiple extra pounds of gear. Even the 1.5LB of a faux-DSLR with a single built-in superzoom lens is going to be pushing it. At this point I kind of wish they had just made a GR or an RX100 with more zoom and some weather resistance.
10-30-2017, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kodiak Quote
At this point I kind of wish they had just made a GR or an RX100 with more zoom and some weather resistance.
Ask and you shall receive: DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

I know very little about the camera or the company but it checks off a lot of your requirements.

10-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have used the Flipside 400 AW to carry my K-3II, Sigma 150-500 DG OS, extra lens, flash, batteries, and charger. It fits under the seat in front of me during flight, or it will fit in the overhead bin if there is no danger of it being pressed/squished too much.

I know you mentioned to the effect that you ruled out carrying a full set of dslr components, but just in case you end up wanting to, this type of bag would allow you to be with your equipment almost every bit of the way.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-30-2017 at 10:00 AM.
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have used the Flipside 400 AW to carry my K-3II, Sigma 150-500 DG OS, extra lens, flash, batteries, and charger. It fits under the seat in front of me during flight, or it will fit in the overhead bin if there is no danger of it being pressed/squished too much.

I know you mentioned to the effect that you ruled out carrying a full set of dslr components, but just in case you end up wanting to, this type of bag would allow you to be with your equipment almost every bit of the way.
I appreciate the reply, but between the extra volume and weight of a full DSLR putting me over my self-imposed "One Bag" traveling style, there have been a lot of recent horror stories about TSA taking DSLRs apart and damaging them, forcing people to put one electronic item loose in each xray bin, etc - I'm just never going to go through the trouble to carry a complete DSLR setup.

I think I'm going to try to hold off for a bit in case anything new comes out that is 1" sensor or larger *and* is weather resistant.
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
going to take not-great night shots.
Thats not what the link says..."superb low light" is what panasonic say.

10-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Thats not what the link says..."superb low light" is what panasonic say.
I feel like "superb low light" might be a stretch, due to the sensor size. I think they are saying it because it's a constant f2.8, but it's on a 1/2.3-inch sensor.

All that said, it seems like it takes pretty decent night shots for the sensor size: Search: night | Flickr
10-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate the reply, but between the extra volume and weight of a full DSLR putting me over my self-imposed "One Bag" traveling style, there have been a lot of recent horror stories about TSA taking DSLRs apart and damaging them, forcing people to put one electronic item loose in each xray bin, etc - I'm just never going to go through the trouble to carry a complete DSLR setup. . . .
I hope I don't fly out of the same airports as where those " horror stories " come from

I never have had that experience, usually I just put the back pack through the scanner and that is it, none of the gear is ever exposed.

In Amsterdam, I was asked to take items out but they were just shown to the inspector and he never handled them. Under his supervision, I just repacked the back pack and that was it. nothing had to be " taken apart ", or put Into separate bins, and if asked to do so, I would have asked for a supervisor [ I have been known to be pushy on occasion ]
10-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Ask and you shall receive: DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

I know very little about the camera or the company but it checks off a lot of your requirements.
Interesting. Have never heard of them, but they seem to have been in the (under water) camera business for quite some time. Maybe not ideal for the OP in that it has no zoom and looks to be quite bulky in order to be easy to operate with diving gloves. On the plus side nobody will think it is a "serious" camera with that look
10-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Olympus TG5 does some very good things...

As rugged as they come...nice accessories.....ONLY a small sensor

Dont let a "small"sensor be a negative,the processor is the best Olympus have.
10-30-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Interesting. Have never heard of them, but they seem to have been in the (under water) camera business for quite some time. Maybe not ideal for the OP in that it has no zoom and looks to be quite bulky in order to be easy to operate with diving gloves. On the plus side nobody will think it is a "serious" camera with that look
The camera itself is waterproof and can be removed from the bulky dive housing.

SOURCE: QUICK REVIEW: SEALIFE DC2000 UNDERWATER CAMERA - Deepshots
10-30-2017, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . there have been a lot of recent horror stories about TSA taking DSLRs apart and damaging them, forcing people to put one electronic item loose in each xray bin, etc - I'm just never going to go through the trouble to carry a complete DSLR setup. . . .
based on the report of "horror stories" I started a thread about experiences going onto airplanes with cameras and gear

experiences traveling on airlines with cameras - PentaxForums.com

in it, this TSA policy was mentioned.

TSA Requires a Separate Screening of Cameras in Airports Now

" If you’re bringing a camera bag or case onto the plane to keep it with you, you’ll be required to pull the camera(s) out of the bag and place them inside a bin for X-ray screening while passing through the standard security lanes. The camera will need to have nothing above or below it, similar to how laptops have already been screened at airports for years now. . . .

There’s no change to what can be brought through checkpoints, so you’ll be able to still carry the same camera equipment onto your flight. Also, if you are enrolled in TSA’s PreCheck program, you won’t be required to remove cameras and other electronics from your bag. . . . "

I'm glad I'm in the TSA precheck program
10-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
based on the report of "horror stories" I started a thread about experiences going onto airplanes with cameras and gear

experiences traveling on airlines with cameras - PentaxForums.com
Thanks. Posted a reply there. Still need to find something better than my Lumix DMC-TS6 to travel with. Wanted to chuck that point-and-shoot out the window after getting used to my K-S2
10-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #15

I would like to recommend the Olympus tg4 (perhaps they have a new one). It got me through Thailand and Cambodia (both very humid areas), and was my main camera throughout my trip to the US. It's capable, however it won't do what a bigger camera can do. Peace of mind for travel though- waterproof, and concealable so it's not attractive to theives. However I would use it in P mode with -0.3 exposure comp, it loves to blow the sky on overcast days