Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Repair of Nikon FE2 leather

Hi all,

I recently purchased a mint FE2 with the exception of some "bubbling" or "raised" parts of the leather near the self-timer button.

This looks like a common issue based on a few pictures I have seen for other fe2's being listed on eBay.

Any chance this can be flattened or fixed without reapplying a new piece of leather?

Also it's not as if the leather is "loose" . It looks to be hardened into that bump (it was like that already when I bought it)

I've added a photo for reference

11-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Fe . It does not have that issue. I also have an FM2 that I ended up recovering. On FM2 there were 2 brass access hole covers in that general area that had come loose. You may be able to gently lift the cover up to find out the cause. . Then reapply adhesive to reattach the skin. When I remove mine I was able to remove all but one of the skins with out tearing.
11-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
It looks like you're right.

I found another photo online of the FE2 with that leather area removed and the shape of the raised "bumps" correspond to the shape of the covering here (the J shape).

Unfortunately I am not versed in removing / reapplying leather (or worse getting replacement piece if i were to rip the current one).

I may just see if I can find a sturdy flat object and overtime apply pressure to even out the lumps