Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic G9 a Pentaxsonic?

Panasonic G9 offers pro-level features, 20 fps bursts, huge EVF and class-leading image stabilization: Digital Photography Review.

Looks very Pentaxy to me.

11-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does!
11-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does!
11-08-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a big camera for a small sensor!

11-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DC-G9KBODY

^ Even Panasonic's contrast detection AF can run circles around Pentax's AF system all while being upside down & blindfolded & only for $1,700. On paper this seems as competent as the D500, 7DII, A9, & other "pro" bodies, but with insane stabilization to boot.

With everyone else making leaps & bounds progress in AF technology, I wonder what Ricoh will do with the upcoming APS-C flagship.

This camera is a bit of overkill for me, but still impressive none the less. It's basically aimed at still shooters. Panasonic has had my attention & now they're getting it even more.

I'm still waiting for that pentax APS-C flagship. I don't need all that extra hype that this camera has, but I do want a much better & more competent AF system. Hopefully Ricoh delivers something good.
11-08-2017, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

That's a big camera for a micro four-thirds sensor. Me, I'd be inclined to save M4/3 for tiny bodies that had huge portability advantages.

As it is, this thing costs just $100 US less than the oft-quoted price of a K-1. Bear that in mind when you say 'only'.
11-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just 9fps with mechanical shutter though - still fast, but nowhere near the 20 of the electronic shutter. So expensive for a m4/3. Very large too for that small sensor. I can think of many cameras I'd buy before the G9. But just give me a K-3iii with the K-1's back LCD mechanism, LI-90 battery, 9-10 fps mechanical shutter with good buffer, and a newest generation sensor & processor, for a bit less $$$ than this, and I'm not going anywhere. Oh, and my next camera purchase is planned for the spring...

EDIT: Wait, it's actually 12fps mechanical without AF. A bit more interesting.

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.
11-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It’s a technological marvel with the chunky looks and probably size of a DSLR. However under the hood and despite the hefty sticker price there is the same old sensor. I do have the feeling that M43 is twisting and turning around being stuck with sensors they just can’t manage to get more out of. Not a comfortable situation to be in.
11-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Even Panasonic's contrast detection AF can run circles around Pentax's AF system all while being upside down & blindfolded & only for $1,700. On paper this seems as competent as the D500, 7DII, A9, & other "pro" bodies, but with insane stabilization to boot. With everyone else making leaps & bounds progress in AF technology, I wonder what Ricoh will do with the upcoming APS-C flagship.
DOOM! The G9 has some impressive specs for action shooters. The G9 is in the same price range as the K-1. The K-1 gives me dynamic range, an astrotracer, ability to take a 30 minute long exposure, and some other helpful landscape features missing from many other "pro" bodies.

The next Pentax APS-C might surprise us with action features. Considering the Pentax lens lineup, though, Ricoh might not try competing against the machinegun fire rate sports cameras.
11-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yep, looks like Pentax , same concept rugged, higher camera shooting spec, lower IQ sensor (cheaper) but almost priced like a full frame. These marketing guys know how the place the customer on the edge.
11-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very interesting camera. The EVF-only setting to conserve battery life sounds like a step in the right direction for battery life, depending on how long it takes to wake up.

Concerning size, there's a limit to how small you can make something and still have it usable by human hands. Especially gloved hands; my K-30 is pushing too small in winter.

Oddly enough I stopped in to my local camera shop to look at a couple mirrorless cameras to see if i could learn to live with an EVF. They're not there for me yet, despite testing what I can only assume is close to the top of the line in the Olympus EM-1 mk2. Face tracking and detection worked superbly, but there was still lag while panning and, while I'm sure you can turn this off somewhere in the menu labyrinth) the quick preview of what was captured in the EVF threw me off considerably. And it's still like watching photography through a TV screen. Maybe this camera will be better? I also have a hard time thinking about buying a $1700 camera with a m43 sensor when there are great aps-c and full frame sensor'd cameras in that price range, especially considering i'd be buying new lenses as well.
11-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
same old sensor
Same as the GH5, its not that old!
11-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Same as the GH5, its not that old!
Lol, of course not. But I think if you compare IQ come sensor performance between APS-C and M43 from say 2012 to 2017 you may find that the bigger difference is on APS-C. I think this may become an issue with M43 if industry pressures mean constantly rising prices. Eventually customers may start peeling off if enough feel that bang and buck are no longer aligned. In pure IQ terms, leaving specs aside, cp the KP vs this new camera esp. with ref to base ISO, shadow noise, banding, etc. M43 could do with a kickass new generation of sensors, imho.
11-08-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It'll be fine. Seems like Panasonic is trying to get in on the sports market. Not sure how many sports photographers are truly looking at micro four thirds. Feels like one of the things most of those folks need is great high iso performance not just fast frame rates. If your image quality starts dropping at iso 1600, that is a problem in many sporting venues, even if you can shoot 60 fps.
11-08-2017, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

But I think
imho.
Do you own a M43 system?