Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Fuji Rumors about GFX100S and new Sony 100mp sensor.

Copy pasting the article with the link. And hopefully, we get to see these features on new Pentax 645

QuoteQuote:
Back in April 2017, Sony officially presented to the world their future medium format sensors. There were three sensors, but relevant for Fuji Medium Format users, is the IMX461, a new 100 Megapixel 44x33mm medium format back illuminated sensor that will be ready for 2018.

Now more details have been disclosed by Sony about the next generation 44×33 MF sensor, which will very likely be the core of the new Fujifilm GFX100S.

Sony says it will be capable of 4K video at 30fps and 8K video at 18fps. It remains to see how much heat will be generated by the sensor/processor and if the Fujifilm GFX100S body can properly dissipate it.

The sensor readout will be much faster, hence we can expect also a huge boost in AF-speed.

The fact that the sensor will be ready for 2018, does not necessarily mean that the Fujifilm GFX100S will also hit the market in 2018.

via sony-semicon
Sony's 100 Megapixel Medium Format Sensor - for Fujifilm GFX100S - will Shoot 4K and 8K. Ready in 2018 - Fuji Rumors

---------- Post added 11-11-17 at 08:26 AM ----------

11-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More pixels will certainly improve sharpness and detail, but I would find a 53.7mm x 40.4mm 100mp sensor like in the Phase One XF 100mp more interesting. 50mp is also more than enough when you want to take a MF camera to the streets, shooting without a tripod at higher iso's

Last edited by D1N0; 11-11-2017 at 09:10 AM.
11-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As much as the new imx461 sensor would be nice i think the imx211 would be a nicer sensor with its size and cut down on cost because of the sensor being around for a while. Or cut down on fuji’s thunder and go straight for the imx411, with great things to back it up.

11-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

100M per image starts getting tough for some image processing software.

11-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Much depends on what the end cost would be for cameras using these sensors. Fuji was able to keep costs down by using an older sensor, but these are going to be high dollar items and would jump the cost up quite a bit. Certainly it won't be medium format for the masses quite yet.
11-12-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Certainly it won't be medium format for the masses quite yet.
From what i've read, the 50S is continuing as entry level and 100 model will be flagship obviously.This info was available in the leadup to the 50S release.The native len$ lineup is growing and there may be a couple more by the time the 100 is released???

Fuji offer a fair range of bodies and glass,theres gaps too but they only started in 2012 with ILCs....the progress is reasonably impressive.
11-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Fuji offer a fair range of bodies and glass, there are gaps too, but they only started in 2012 with ILCs....the progress is reasonably impressive.
F did that in aps-c, gained hype and overshadowed most existing brand/products using their mirrorless technology, I am pretty positive they can also do that in the medium format. Which would appeal to consumers, a 100MP MF DSLR or a 100MP MF Mirrorless? I hope Pentax can still run the race and can able to keep their "Happy Medium"

11-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
From what i've read, the 50S is continuing as entry level and 100 model will be flagship obviously.This info was available in the leadup to the 50S release.The native len$ lineup is growing and there may be a couple more by the time the 100 is released???

Fuji offer a fair range of bodies and glass,theres gaps too but they only started in 2012 with ILCs....the progress is reasonably impressive.
Yeah in APS-C segment they are truly astonishing considering how new they are to the game. I have been a long advocate for their products and have been considering to switch for awhile now. Who doesn't wants small, sexy bodies with small (compared to FF), sexy and reasonably priced lenses? OH and hopefully they will release 33mm f/1.0 eventually.

Back to the topic, I hope Pentax 645 100 mp comes out earlier or it might hurt the business.
11-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Who doesn't wants small, sexy bodies with small (compared to FF), sexy and reasonably priced lenses? OH and hopefully they will release 33mm f/1.0 eventually.
I like the look and feel of the bodies,not so sure about the reasonably priced lenses.The lens quality is right up there and so are the prices.

My Fuji system is done on the cheap,some new stuff some used.

have been considering to switch for awhile
I see people on the Fuji forum running Pentax down which i dont understand.Pentax does a great job as photographic devices.My view is that i added a system, i never ever considered switching.The XE-1 is a very good way in,its cheap.The XC lenses do fantastically well in good light,ive added a few primes too.A great advantage is the focalreducer/speed booster adapters,they double the lens range and with all the cheap vintage glass around,open up a nostalgic tangent.
11-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
I like the look and feel of the bodies,not so sure about the reasonably priced lenses.The lens quality is right up there and so are the prices.

My Fuji system is done on the cheap,some new stuff some used.

I see people on the Fuji forum running Pentax down which i dont understand.Pentax does a great job as photographic devices.My view is that i added a system, i never ever considered switching.The XE-1 is a very good way in,its cheap.The XC lenses do fantastically well in good light,ive added a few primes too.A great advantage is the focalreducer/speed booster adapters,they double the lens range and with all the cheap vintage glass around,open up a nostalgic tangent.
I have rented 16-23-35 f1.4, 56 f1.2 and 90 f2 over the course of summer with an xt2 just to try it out. Prices of those lenses are high but compared to FF equivalent they are reasonable in my opinion. Build quality is fantastic, some lenses have great af (16 and 90), they are sharp..etc.

What interested me in Fuji system was: Kaizen, Tethering (i know K1 now can tether), Fast and reliable lenses, little smaller and lighter than dslr camera/lens combinations (i have back issues), EVF, Lack of Pentax 3rd Party support mainly in lighting area.
That being said i am not trying to replace my Pentax gear, might even buy the K1 for high paying studio work. Any events, gun and shoot situation and times i need versatility + durability Pentax is here to stay with my zoom lenses. However, I am mainly shooting on-location portraits and some personal projects which i can slow down, think and enjoy bit more, that's the Fujis place to take.
11-13-2017, 01:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Prices of those lenses are high
Yes, and they are amonst the highest rated Fuji primes.However, the cheapskates way into Fuji is 18/27/16-50 and 50-230.For native mount.My four do a good job in good light.Those four combined cost me less than the 16mm,their IQ is reasonable but not superb like the 16.(many rate it Fujis best lens)

My main body is the latest Fuji...XE-3,small compact light, good menu,joystick....a touch screen thats capable but not the same standard as Panasonic.An overall great fun little camera,it shoots 3 film simulations in raw and jpeg and processes faster than when i use pixel shift on the K-1.Can shoot 4K video in any of the film simulations so i get the end result straight out of camera.

When i pick up the K-1 bag i know theres 2 lenses around 2kgs each as well as the small light primes...gota be 6 kgs total...

Whereas the Fuji and 4 native lenses probably only goes around the weight of the K-1 body....pretty light for what it does.
11-13-2017, 01:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yes, and they are amonst the highest rated Fuji primes.However, the cheapskates way into Fuji is 18/27/16-50 and 50-230.For native mount.My four do a good job in good light.Those four combined cost me less than the 16mm,their IQ is reasonable but not superb like the 16.(many rate it Fujis best lens)

My main body is the latest Fuji...XE-3,small compact light, good menu,joystick....a touch screen thats capable but not the same standard as Panasonic.An overall great fun little camera,it shoots 3 film simulations in raw and jpeg and processes faster than when i use pixel shift on the K-1.Can shoot 4K video in any of the film simulations so i get the end result straight out of camera.

When i pick up the K-1 bag i know theres 2 lenses around 2kgs each as well as the small light primes...gota be 6 kgs total...

Whereas the Fuji and 4 native lenses probably only goes around the weight of the K-1 body....pretty light for what it does.
That's a nice combo!
Just waiting X-T2s do drop so maybe i can pick up the X-T2 or if the price is right newer version. Touchscreen and ibis would be killer. I wish X-t20 or x-e3 had tethering options, the only real killer for me.
11-13-2017, 02:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Just waiting X-T2s
an XT2 S model is imminent....plenty will upgrade,espescially if it has the rumoured IBIS, talk of Pixell Shift but i think its fake news.

Price of newer model XT2 s....will be towards 2500ish...so rumours go

XT20 isnt capable of receiving the latest upgraded AF thats in the XE3 and coming to XT2 and X Pro 2, so its an inferior body now.