Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Come to your SENSORS....$$$ONY!

Well, when the news broke about the D850 sensor not being a Sony made one,i thought maybe some of the other manufacturers will follow suit?

Kens video points out a few new facts and makes SenseOR?

He may be a pain to watch at times but this ones OK.

11-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If camera makers have somewhere else to go, it might end the exclusive embargo period Sony has on whatever it releases as the next big new thing. Canon, IIRC, do make their own but naturally reserve production for their own bodies. Having a competitor in the field can only be healthy. It won't kill Sony, but it might well sharpen their game.
11-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Tower Jazz is going to kill Sony?
11-12-2017, 07:27 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot abide doom-sayers, and this guy is an A-hole.

11-12-2017, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The only good thing about Sony having a competitor would be the fact that they are also a camera manufacturer and they don't make their latest technology available to their rivals. It would be nice if delaying the release of new technology actually cost them business, instead of giving their own cameras an advantage. Anything that gets Pentax the latest greatest faster is a good thing.
11-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that something is being missed here. TowerJazz is the manufacturer - the FAB. That does not mean what they produce is going to be available for general sale. Who owns the sensor's design? The sensors going into the Leica bodies isn't available and the indication in the various news articles has the sensor in the Nikon D850 being a Nikon design for the most part. I really doubt that Nikon is going to make their designs available to Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, el al. Also, Nikon has the production scale - something that Pentax lacks.

That leaves Pentax either staying with Sony or doing their own design (to some degree). Now, semiconductor design today is not like it was yesterday where you need to be an expert at everything. You can license the IP packages. What that means is that they licensed a number of IP packages, the copper writing, the BSI, the dual gain, probably the sensels, etc., from other folks - there are lots of these available. You can even hire a custom semiconductor design house for the layout and to roll it for you. It all comes down to dollar$ - what is cheaper and more efficient for what you need.

The profitability is in the scaling of the sensor fabrication. The more parts you make, the more you can reduce your cost$. Sony by FABing the sensors for everyone was essentially capping their costs to a large degree. Intel has demonstrated this on steroids by even now going out and FABing ARM processors for anyone who has the need for large production runs.

Will this put pressure on Sony to be a bit more nimble with their product offerings and pricing - well one would think, however to what degree, I don't know. That all remains to be seen.

I've read rumors that Asahi or Pentax back in the day, went to a small custom design shop for their famous SMC lens coatings. What Pentax does in the future is still unknown.

11-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anything that gets Pentax the latest greatest faster is a good thing.
Thats exactly what i thought.

The fact that manufacturing will be in China opens up an industry for them.At this stage they have an entry level M43,however thats the tip of the isoberg!