Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Inactive Account

With the 20 fps mode on K20D, they had to come ut with something. And unlike K20D it seems like they store the live view stream as video, not singular images.

To implement the feature would be "easy" concidering it's "just" a piece of software - no new HW design.

08-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bring on the K30D!
08-27-2008, 04:45 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I have no interest in a video function in my DSLR.

c[_]
08-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Me neither.

08-27-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

c[_]
i do if it's done well and not to the detriment of IQ or price
08-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

K3 has a nice sound to it

uber nice

cheers
08-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I bought the "entry-level" (i hate that description for this camera) K200D because i have no need for things like "live-view" or "video" when i've decided to shoot stills...i have a Panasonic TZ5 for that and it's usually handed out to someone else to keep them busy while i take my time waiting for my shot(s)

I can't speak for anyone else but when i've decided "stills" that's it! If i happen to see a video moment it will be a story to tell LOL

Pentax will probably follow or compete with their own innovation "one-upping" the competition as that's the market they seem to have decided on competing in.

08-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If I wanted a video camera, I'd buy a video camera.
A digital video camera with the same sensor size as this and interchangeable lenses will cost around $10000.
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
And unlike K20D it seems like they store the live view stream as video, not singular images.

To implement the feature would be "easy" concidering it's "just" a piece of software - no new HW design.
Indeed, from a quick read it seems like this is the implementation. Pretty clever leveraging of the existing technology if you ask me.

But a lot of people will. Especially as its a bonus feature that happens to come with an already good camera. For all the people upgrading from a point'n'shoot it's one less thing they have to give up.

(Chase Jarvis pumps the product over here.)

Features sell gadgets. Even poorly implemented features. With GPS, video, face recognition, live view etc. the camera as we know it is definitely well into gadget territory. This is a marketing reality.

I wish Pentax would sidestep all this and produce that Limited body I've been waiting for. You know: small, simple, rugged, immense battery life, no frills. The DSLR market is definitely large enough for boutique offerings from clever firms.

I mean if Leica can sell the disaster known as an M8 then anything is possible.
08-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've been dreaming of a K-mount video camera to try my fast manual lenses on video, it would be so much fun. Narrow DOF on 720p video would be great fun imho.
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe one day the technology can allow for an all-in-one body that can do stills, video, sound and even project pics and video through the lens onto a distant background for reviewing on a big screen, all which rivals pro equipment in quality - but to date, I've only seen good quality gear in dedicated still cameras, video cameras, etc.

I cringe at the though of using even a top of the line video cam to capture stills.
Thought it was cool at first (before I went dSLR) then the novelty wore off - very quickly...

So if there ARE lots of people who want this fancy video feature and make it the reason to buy a dSLR - good for them. To me it's marketing at its best for lower end consumers - unimpressive use of R&D resources for the enthusiast and pro.

You can shoot me down now.
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Maybe one day the technology can allow for an all-in-one body that can do stills, video, sound and even project pics and video through the lens onto a distant background for reviewing on a big screen, all which rivals pro equipment in quality - but to date, I've only seen good quality gear in dedicated still cameras, video cameras, etc.

I cringe at the though of using even a top of the line video cam to capture stills.
Thought it was cool at first (before I went dSLR) then the novelty wore off - very quickly...

So if there ARE lots of people who want this fancy video feature and make it the reason to buy a dSLR - good for them. To me it's marketing at its best for lower end consumers - unimpressive use of R&D resources for the enthusiast and pro.
You're likely right. These are also some of the things that I would be concerned about too.
08-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gus Quote
It seems that this is heavily targeted at the home user, going against Sony and even P&Ss with face recognition. I wonder how smooth continuous focusing will be in video mode.
AH but does it have SMILE recognition like the sony P&S I saw today? The ultimate feature it takes the picture at the perfect moment of courese when the subject smiles Only a problem at funerals and trainwrecks
08-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
AH but does it have SMILE recognition like the sony P&S I saw today? The ultimate feature it takes the picture at the perfect moment of courese when the subject smiles Only a problem at funerals and trainwrecks
I guess in those situations you just have to crack a few jokes to get the camera working properly.
08-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I guess in those situations you just have to crack a few jokes to get the camera working properly.
I wonder what kind of joke you can pull off at a funeral...
I'd suffer with such a camera!