Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Nikon D90 officially announced

Nikon D90 plus hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review

Besides all the leaked specs, 720p video is a confirmed reality (I know it's not 1080p, but it's a start). It would be interesting to see how well this mode is implemented. This could either be a turning point in the DSLR industry (at least for some us) or just a marketing fad. I can see how camera bodies would start to take a different shape (different ergonomic requirements) if this ever picks up. I wonder if one can take full resolution shots while recording video (just like in a regular camcorder). I also wonder if Pentax has something similar in store (maybe with a K2000D?). If I remember well, some were discussing the rumor of video recording on the K20D before it was launched, but it just seemed like pure speculation at the time.

Let the comments roll...

08-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i hope pentax has a better body in store
a K20D beside a D90 and a 50D doesn't stand much of a chance for the unknowledgeable consumer and a pushy salesman
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

intresting to note that now all of the major brands have moved over to CMOS.

hmmm.
08-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The video is almost enough to get me to jump ship (assuming it works well). If it was 1080p at 30fps, or under $1000, they would have me. I've been waiting for video in an slr for a long time.

08-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Gus
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems that this is heavily targeted at the home user, going against Sony and even P&Ss with face recognition. I wonder how smooth continuous focusing will be in video mode.

Edit:
Another thing to consider is battery life in video mode (how long can you keep that LCD on not to mention the continuous shooting?)
08-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gus Quote
I wonder how smooth continuous focusing will be in video mode.
I would never use autofocus while shooting video. But its probably not targeted at people like me who want to use it as a lower cost option for indie filmmaking, but more at people who are coming up from P&S and don't want to loose video, which is what makes me worry about the quality of the video.

Edit:
QuoteQuote:
Another thing to consider is battery life in video mode (how long can you keep that LCD on not to mention the continuous shooting?)
Even if you don't get that long, you can always use an external battery pack that connects to the power adaptor plug.
08-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It seems that this is heavily targeted at the home user, going against Sony and even P&Ss with face recognition. I wonder how smooth continuous focusing will be in video mode.

Edit:
no AF in video mode

08-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Even if you don't get that long, you can always use an external battery pack that connects to the power adaptor plug.
Still, probably many former P&S users, will not have thought about this before they buy. Maybe a bit of a surprise in store for them.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
no AF in video mode
I always prefer a product to focus on what it does best, and then use it with that application.
The D80 was never enough to begin with. The D90 has put focus on the wrong things for me. If I wanted video, I would buy a separate product, they can be had pretty compact nowadays. But I fear how this may be the new thing. Live-view, I can live with; this video will just be another thing to suddenly malfunction and make the rest of camera unusable too.
Ohh well, guess buying low/medium end DSLR in the future; will be out of the question . (Don't think this will ever come to the higher models)
08-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #9

Wow. The video makes this a very hard to resist product for me. Its only a matter of time before other manufacturers introduce a similar feature (hopefully with AF).

Last edited by ankit; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 PM.
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
Wow. The video makes this a very to resist product for me. Its only a matter of time before other manufacturers introduce a similar feature (hopefully with AF).
the P&S'ers will buy this camera because it has video mode and return it because lack of AF. can't imagine it'd be very pleasant to have the mic record all the AF noises. it'd more more useful to have an external mic, but then we're really pushing it now...
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Gus
Forum Member

Original Poster
Are you positive about the lack of AF in video mode?
08-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Damn Brit

If I wanted a video camera, I'd buy a video camera.
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Are you positive about the lack of AF in video mode?
Yes, it is atleast what they write on dpreview.
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New - LV, 4.5 fps and video without AF. Good VF.
It's simply upgrade of D80 with sensor from A700/D300. And it will be expensive camera close to price of 50D.
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If I wanted a video camera, I'd buy a video camera.

My response entirely... I don't see the attraction of a video mode on a stills camera...

Like the 50D the D90 has picture modes, no good to me as I use Av mode most frequently

Pentax's response should be enhanced AF and faster FPS. For the P&S brigade there are always bridge cameras or compacts for video...