Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The funny about developing technologies such as this is that it comes with what I'd call an adjustment period. That is to say that while DPReview may seem biased at this point in time, I'd add that we can trace back the development of their stance as they came to understand the technology and it's limitations. Which I believe could be likened to a learning process. In short, when DPReview tested this on the K-3 and eventually the K-1, it becomes apparent that the reviewer was not happy with the results. To which I'd add, they tried taking various images in various conditions with limited success. Not based on the camera of course, but more specifically, on part of the users and their expectations. And so the response came across negatively as the reviewer was left wanting more(or less) ie, more benefits and less artifacts

Fast forward up until today and the reviewer in question now has established an experience to work with. Granted, the a7r III is nowhere near as sophisticated as the K-1, in where the reviewer didn't know what to look for. And guess what... we can clearly see that experience put to use in his latest review. ie, the reviewer set-up his test shots to maximize on the limitations of the technology(stills) as he then go-on to compare the results against his own past experiences.

Which leads me to contemplate the following;
Is it fair? Hardly
Is it common? Most definitely

Having said all that, my take on this is that Pixel Shift technology is here to stay and that Pentax has the upper hand. And while it may feel as though the K-1 got a bum-wrap as the control. It remains that the next iteration to come-out of Pentax's doors will go unnoticed - this only works once
When pixel shift was first released it wasn't very good. I think it was with the launch of the K-1 that Pentax released version that had motion correction in it. Some time shortly thereafter DC Raw had a pixel shift version that would do motion correction masking on multiple files. It was pretty clunky and I tended to use DCU from Pentax for processing. It wasn't till Raw Therapee started supporting it that it became very simple to use.

I really wouldn't blame DP Review for saying that pixel shift is clunky and has a learning curve needed to maximize its use. I do blame them for being so upbeat about what is clearly a worse implementation by Sony.

I like pixel-shift and use it a lot and so I am a pretty big proponent of it.

(a couple of pixel-shifts to add some color to this thread)

Last edited by Rondec; 11-18-2017 at 03:42 AM.
11-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I like pixel-shift and use it a lot and so I am a pretty big proponent of it.

(a couple of pixel-shifts to add some color to this thread)
I personally love the concept, but don't find the technology very appealing at this time. With that said, my hope is that we will see it improve to the point of being completely seamless in future camera's.

Also love that second shot btw.

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-17-2017 at 09:02 PM.