Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manufocus Quote
Woohoo! 370€ for the gx80 with cashback :-)

Now just adding a pentax-mft adapter for the M50 and I'll see if it's worthy.
Where did you score that?

11-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Will definitely report my findings! Camera and adapter should arrive sometime next week.

I got it from my favorite online foto store (foto-erhardt). They have a 10% off deal for black friday, combined with the 50€ cashback from panasonic it's a very nice price. (There are shops that might be up to 20€ cheaper, but communication and service was always excellent from them)
12-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Finally got the GX80. Played around a bit with it indoors so far. Not sure if I'll love it. The image stabilisation is super impressive.

The backscreeen is realy grainy which I find very confusing to look at. I don't remmber the name of the technology where individual pixels are interwoven but it bugs me that anything with high contrast looks frayed. To be more specific, on any part of the picture that is maximum brightness, a pattern appears, like a woven pattern, surrounding pixels that are darker don't show this effect.

Last edited by manufocus; 12-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.
12-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manufocus Quote
Finally got the GX80. Played around a bit with it indoors so far. Not sure if I'll love it. The image stabilisation is super impressive.

The backscreeen is realy grainy which I find very confusing to look at. I don't remmber the name of the technology where individual pixels are interwoven but it bugs me that anything with high contrast looks frayed. To be more specific, on any part of the picture that is maximum brightness, a pattern appears, like a woven pattern, surrounding pixels that are darker don't show this effect.
I thought that field sequential stuff was only in the viewfinder not the lcd. Maybe we are talking about two different technologies. If you can find one - try the GX-7 - the 2 axis stabilization is poo pooed by people but real world results are very good and the lcd is very nice as far as I can tell.

12-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah pentile was the word I'm looking for! It's a different subpixel layout from the common square one in almost everything else.
Not completely sure if it's a proper pentile subpixel matrix but it's mist definitely not classic RGB.
12-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
After a few days now I decided to keep the camera, here is my expanding review of the experience directly compared to the K30 as this is my best reference point. (Also owned a Sony A100 at some point).

+ Size. This is the main reason I switched and I'm not disappointed.
+ In-camera charging via micro-USB. Super-awesome! Saves so much weight/bulk when travelling skipping on an additional charger, also makes the camera comfortably independent when wild camping by charging from Powerbank.
+ Auto-brightness for back display
+ Swiveliness of the back display for street stuff
+ Tiny lenses! :-)
+ 4k video looks really nice, maybe I'll use it now and then.
+ IS is super nice, will probably get a 42.5mm to get dual IS for indoor concert stuff.
+ High ISO performance is really solid.
+ Future-Image preview on the screen/EVF

o The viewfinder is really good. Not superb, but it's bright enough and with the magnification on focus is really good to pinpoint focus. It's ok to use with glasses. It's a happy compromise I'll take for all the good stuff
o Holding the camera is a bit unusual after the, for me, perfect grip on the K30. Like going from a well used kitchen knife to a skalpel: probably sharper but much more akward to hold when chopping a pound of potatoes.
o Expensive lenses O.O I never appreciated how darn cheap pentax lenses are... m43 better deliver in terms of IQ when spending 250€+ on a 20mm prime...
o 4:3 aspect ratio will also take some time getting used to

- Manual focusing is not nearly as nice as with the K30 using a M50/1.7 with PK/m43 adapter. I'll be interested to see how a native manual focus m43 lens fares. Also I don't find the EVF to be sharp enough to see what is in focus, focus preview however does make up for that. Probably just getting used to the new system
- The back display has a pentile matrix wich is pleasing looking at for the complete image since pixels are interwoven, but sharp contrast and white saturated areas just look crappy. I'd much prefer a classic RGB layout. I can settle on this and wait a few years to afford a higher tier or an updated version with RGB matrix
- Three button presses to delete an image? Why...
- No weather sealing... not that I feel it is necessary, but with all the seals on the K30 everything fit so snugly into place it was a true pleasure. Now the usb-cover feels super cheap plastic-on-plastic.
- These super tiny concentric grooves in the shutter button and lens release button. All they do is fill up with dirt.