Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If that's worth $1,500, then does anyone want to buy my K-X for $150,000? I'll even throw in two rolls of film.

11-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Maybe if you add one of those "Minty Rare Pentax M 1.2" lenses you see advertised on e-bay all the time (i.e. misrepresented SMC-M 50mm 1:2 kit lens).
11-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh btw, does anyone know if that cheap Kmount Vivitar SLR is still available?
Up until quite recently there was a Cosina-made, Vivitar-branded V3800N SLR available through most of the usual outlets. The camera was discontinued some years ago, but lingers as NOS and is available through Amazon and perhaps other outlets.

amazon.com : Vivitar V3800N 35mm SLR Camera w/ 28-70mm Lens : Slr Film Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

...or if one prefers F-mount, there is always its Nikon cousin, the FM10.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/film-cameras/fm10.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-21-2017 at 11:47 PM.
11-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Being aware that their Kickstarter campaign is stalling, net SE just improved their offer in two different directions, in addition to redoubling of marketing efforts (see the blog articles on the web, written "after a conversation with Stefan Immes" who is the CEO of net SE):

1. Two other mounts, M42 and Pentax K, will be available in addition to the standard Nikon F mount of the Kiev 19B.

2. Two versions of the camera will be available. The current one becomes Elbaflex Prime with a warranty extended to five years and a stripped version named Elbaflex Base will be proposed at $299.

11-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
a stripped version named Elbaflex Base will be proposed at $299
This price point definitely points to rebadged old stock.
11-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
a stripped version named Elbaflex Base
How can one get more stripped? The quick addition of K-mount and M42 sounds fishy to me. Do these cameras support automatic aperture actuation? Kiev has never made a K-mount or M42 camera and the only quick fix would be to use a non-auto implementation.

Steve
11-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Doesn't much matter with M42 on an unmetered body, but more is expected of K mount.

11-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Doesn't much matter with M42 on an unmetered body, but more is expected of K mount.
Indeed!

I am not sure, but I believe that all of netSE's lens offerings have full-manual apertures and it is possible that the "new" Elbaflex is equipped with non-auto F, K, and M42 mounts to match. I know how I shoot with non-metered SLRs and loss of auto aperture actuation is a huge hit in terms of functionality in the field. Counting clicks is not my idea of a good time. A bright spot might be that most M42 lenses are native pre-set or are able to use a A/M switch to approximate a preset aperture.

Too bad the Q&A is disabled except for backers. Someone needs to ask the hard questions regarding mount functionality. Just because the camera is shown with the Nikkor-S 55/1.2 mounted (aperture ring to f/1.2 position) does not mean that lens is fully supported.

BTW: It is my understanding that the aperture on the new Meyer-Optik lenses are "clickless"...great fun on a non-coupled SLR, eh?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.
11-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I asked that question before the Q&A availability was narrowed, at least with respect to the F mount. I have not received an answer and I am not sure I will ever get one.

As you have intimated, I expect those with the M42 option will suffer the least. But if they think any sane person is going to pay US$1500 for a meterless K or F mount camera with mandatory stop-down, they've got another think coming.
11-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Just in case: one can pledge as low an amount as $1 to be considered as a backer and be allowed to ask questions.

In addition, any pledge can be retracted until Monday 4 December 18:00 CET (12:00 EST).
11-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is my understanding that the aperture on the new Meyer-Optik lenses are "clickless"...great fun on a non-coupled SLR, eh?
It's not so bad on a genuine preset lens - where you have that final, definite, manual close-down - but this is more in line with what you get from an Industar 50/3.5

I've shot a Spotmatic with an Industar fitted; it was a glacially slow process, given the tendency of adjustments to either focus or aperture knocking the other out of kilter, and while the Meyer-Optiks may (?) be better from the POV of keeping focus and aperture controls physically separate, this isn't really going to be that much faster. Whether the market at which they are pitching this camera is patient enough to live with this in the long term, I do not know.

We should lie in wait until they become tired of their new toys and then pounce on them at bargain-basement prices.
11-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

It's not so bad on a genuine preset lens - where you have that final, definite, manual close-down - but this is more in line with what you get from an Industar 50/3.5

I've shot a Spotmatic with an Industar fitted; it was a glacially slow process, given the tendency of adjustments to either focus or aperture knocking the other out of kilter, and while the Meyer-Optiks may (?) be better from the POV of keeping focus and aperture controls physically separate, this isn't really going to be that much faster. Whether the market at which they are pitching this camera is patient enough to live with this in the long term, I do not know.

We should lie in wait until they become tired of their new toys and then pounce on them at bargain-basement prices.
Yeah I've got a Jupiter-9, I love the optics but I'm put off from using it by this "feature".
11-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Yeah I've got a Jupiter-9, I love the optics but I'm put off from using it by this "feature".
You accept that it's going to be something you take out for specific occasions and conditions under which the limitations of the lens do not matter.

In my case, the Spotmatic/Industar combination was to shoot the first test roll that I ever developed in Caffenol, so everything I shot was an inanimate object with zero real interest (I didn't want to lose shots I cared about, so I photographed things I didn't care about with my dodgiest lens on a beat-up parts camera), and I had all the time in the world to focus and either meter (with a cellphone app) or Sunny 16 it.
11-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #29
Pentaxian

You accept that it's going to be something you take out for specific occasions and conditions under which the limitations of the lens do not matter.
Oh. I don't do that.
11-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't be buying one, but I hope it sells a million, and that other manufacturers take note.

Chris