Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've handled close to a dozen Mirrorless cams with EVF and the only one I really thought had a truly sucky EVF was the A7. Yes. I'm a DSLR 'fan'. However, even though the A7II wasn't my cup of tea, the refresh seemed much faster and the display sharper/cleaner than the A7. With the A7, I could pan left and right and wait for the EVF to catch up (milliseconds difference but noticeable to my eye). But the A7II was better.. the whole camera just seemed more agile or spontaneous. The Olympus and Fuji's I've handled weren't so bad either.. in some cases even nicer (than A7II). So I'm not entirely cold on the EVF, just the A7's EVF in particular. It's awful imo.. IQ is nice though from that camera. It is just that dreadful EVF.

Obviously not everyone feels the same, or at least they are putting up with the poor EVF, simply by looking at sales. But please do test it before buying if at all possible.
I own only one (A7) and my father own two (G7, GM5). I tried a few in the shop. First and foremost, if you don't take time to configure it you may be quite disappointed. Changing the setting quite change the performance, as well as the lens. Typically for low light you'll want to AF and display the scene wide open like a DSLR, this isn't the default setting and like with a DSLR and OVF, a faster lens make for a more pleasing experience.

Personally I didn't like the one of the OMD 10 II that much, found out the Sony A6000 to be slow in the shop I tried it and found a few other mid level body to have quite average EVF.

The Sony A7 EVF sure isn't perfect but is bigger than any APSC DSLR I tried, display quite nice detailled picture, clearly show what subject the camera picked up for focus (contrary to the terrible red point of K3 that become invisible in many daylight scenes), help a lot for MF if you are into that and display info like the histogram directly... Actually compared to the other EVF I tried, once configured I was quite pleased by the result !

12-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #17

It has been already more than 12 months that I bought a used Sony A7 body and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I got it fair cheap and sure that helps. As some users have commented, I also use it exclusively with manual lenses (mainly Pentax) and I love it.

However, I am missing some AF activity. I can always return to my reliable K5IIs again and use the FA35 and F50 that I usually put on the A7, but at the price of loosing the FF frame. That's the reason why I am recently considering to purchase the K1. Another reason is because of the ergonomy of the A7 with heavy stuff, for instance with the Vivitar 90/2.5. I am afraid of using those brick lenses on the A7 and to experience those well-know light-leak problems on the Sony E mount. Furthermore, I appreciate the handling comfortability of a DSLR body, in spite of the weight and size of a mirrorless machine. The third reason is perhaps the most important one: colour rendition. It is not the mpx increase or the huge dynamic range of the K1's files, but the likely colour science behind what intrigues me most. I would like to ask users here which use both bodies what is your opinion regarding colour rendering between two cameras. From my point of view, the A7 is just okish in this department, if not disappointing. Sometimes it's a bit difficult for me to obtain the colours I want, mainly when there is people involved. I think I like more the colour output of the K5IIs. What are your thoughts about this? Excuse me for the off topic.

Last edited by rodaballo; 12-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.
12-30-2017, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Another reason is because of the ergonomy of the A7 with heavy stuff, for instance with the Vivitar 90/2.5. I am afraid of using those brick lenses on the A7 and to experience those well-know light-leak problems on the Sony E mount.
Really? Ive done 8hrs straight with this combo.

12-30-2017, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Really? Ive done 8hrs straight with this combo.
You are in *serious* need of some new and additional lens storage

12-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You are in *serious* need of some new and additional lens storage
I am glad you see a solution rather than a problem