Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony A6300 Battieries

Good Morning,

I am getting my wife a Sony A6300 as a Christmas gift. One big negative I have read is the short batter life, so I plan on getting an extra battery or two as stocking stuffers. My question, are the after market ones dangerous for the camera? I know that they often do not last as long, but two after market, with a charger is still less then one new Sony battery. I have not heard negative affects on Pentax cameras from after market batteries.

Thanks,

Jim

11-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

After-market batteries can work fine. I have several after-market NP-FW50's and they do the job. No explosions or fireballs so far , after several years of use. Just buy from a reputable seller, and don't buy the cheapest battery you can find on eBay.

Note too that the A6300, like many a Sony, charges internally via USB. No need for an external charger, just use the supplied micro USB cable. But external chargers can be handy if you want/need to charge a 2nd battery while you are out using the camera.
11-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I like the ability to charge one while using the camera. I will go for a good name, just not Sony.

Thanks,

Jim
11-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a pair of Wasabi batteries and travel charger for several years. The charger is especially nice and almost worth the price alone as it just plugs into a socket, no wires. The batteries seem to be about 75 - 80% of Pentax OEM but I've not done extensive testing. They get used in our two K-3's and the K-1 interchangeably with the Pentax ones. Very satisfied given the price.

11-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Personally, I have had better luck with genuine batteries, such that an aftermarket one I had in my Pentax started swelling up and almost couldn't get it out of my camera. With all 4 genuine Sony batteries I used in previous Sony DSLRs I used to own and the 2 genuine Pentax ones I have used in my K30, I've never had a problem and battery life was superior.
11-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These work well enough in my Sony a6000:

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Compatible-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX10/dp/B0049W...i+battery+sony
11-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have had good results from Wasabi and Watson brand batteries. Never on a Sony camera but I don't think that should matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
...two after market, with a charger is still less then one new Sony battery...
That sounds like Wasabi; they often do a charger with 2 batteries in a package. The Wasabi charger is considerably different than the Pentax charger, some pluses some minuses.

Plus: My Wasabi charger has a fold out wall plug, instead of the awkward Pentax cable. Wasabi takes up less bag space.

Plus: My 2 batt + 1 charger includes a coiled 12V cord that can be charged from a car. Great for road trips.

Minus: Pentax and Wasabi batteries both have 3 contacts. The Wasabi charger only uses 2 contacts. This might increase risk of overcharging and shorten battery life. My solution is to use the original charger at home for most of my charging, and the Wasabi one for travel.