Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He was shooting @ a high frame rate...on a particular day.

The overall positive is that $ony battery performance isnt poor anymore.I saw another report of 1200 shots which is quite good to compared the the A7 previous battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
how many minutes or hours or days ?

12-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
He was shooting @ a high frame rate...on a particular day.

The overall positive is that $ony battery performance isnt poor anymore.I saw another report of 1200 shots which is quite good to compared the the A7 previous battery.
My A9 has 800 shots on the battery and is at 51%. That said, 800 is less than 1 minute of shooting at 20fps.
12-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

So,you should get 1600 shots...or a minute 20 seconds?
12-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

So,you should get 1600 shots...or a minute 20 seconds?
LOL. I have probably used it 3-4 hours this week. That is actual on time, but a lot of that is testing and setting it up. I'm still using my K-1 in studio, but i will probably switch that out for an A7rIII. I have been shooting 2 systems for years and I am over it. Too much of a pain in the butt.

12-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
LOL. I have probably used it 3-4 hours this week. That is actual on time, but a lot of that is testing and setting it up. I'm still using my K-1 in studio, but i will probably switch that out for an A7rIII. I have been shooting 2 systems for years and I am over it. Too much of a pain in the butt.
Using a field camera in the studio really doesn't make a lot of sense. It was designed as a field camera. Some folks are doing commercial work seem to love the Pixel Shift function, it all depends on what you do.

So the big question here is "Is the A7rIII better than the K-1 with Pixel Shift." I recently dropped my K-1 and DA* 60-250 while trying to mountt it on a tripod in minus 10 weather with mittens on, a good 5 foot fall. My guess is, with any Sony I've ever seen I wouldn't even have a camera at this point. But I've never handled an A7rIII or an A9 so maybe they are better who knows. At their price, it doesn't matter. If price isn't an issue for you, your opinion is pretty much irrelevant to 99% of the forum. Most people don't buy Pentax for it's feature set. Most people buy them because for the money they have, they can get more bang per buck. Posts like the above are for the most part not tailored to Pentax users. Just some guy saying "I have more money to spend on cameras than you and I can get more capability by not buying Pentax." It is interesting that for a time even Winder thought the K-1 was a thing.

For those of us who probably aren't going to buy a Sony for us, why don't you break down the costs of your K-1 system and the cost of you Sony system, just so we can see what you're talking about, in consumer terms. That's the issue for most of us looking at an A7rIII or A9, what's this going to cost me? The thing I'd like to know i, I know Sony is way more expensive for less durability and ruggedness, but how bad is it?

Given that 90% of the forum is using entry level k-30 through K-70 type cameras, the big question is what do i get for spending 5 to 10 times what they spent on their system. Usually it's just not that impressive when you work out the numbers. Especially since in a lot of my work with small birds and birding, you have to have 51MP FF to out resolve my K-3.

K-3 and Tamron 300 2.8 with 1.4 TC on it gives me 420 ƒ4, FF equivalent to 630mm ƒ4. What would that cost me with an A7rIII or A9? Making $200 a print, how many prints would I have to sell to cover that?

To me, those cameras are for those who don't trust their skill level to get them the images they want. * for is amazing if you know what you're doing, and 4 FPPS is manageable.

That image has more resolution than you'd get with an A9, and there can be absolutely no argument about that. Even at 4 fps, I threw out a pile of very similar images to get the keeper. I guess with an A9 I could have thrown out 25 images instead of 5. But why do i want that?

I find it so difficult to even comprehend what people are talking about without images. For those of us trained in getting an image with an 8x10 or 4x5 view camera. at one frame per minute max, some guy going for 20 FPS in the studio seems crazy. I'd compete with a guy like that with my one frame per second if we are talking final output.

Last edited by normhead; 12-20-2017 at 07:49 AM.
12-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So the big question here is "Is the A7rIII better than the K-1 with Pixel Shift."
Ha Ha, maybe a big Q/ somewhere but not here.....The $$$ony version hasnt been overly emphasised as a major feature in any YT or written reviews so far.Its "just" a feature and to me quite inconvenient.

Tamron 300 2.8 with 1.4 TC on it gives me 420 ƒ4, FF equivalent to 630mm ƒ4. What would that cost me with an A7rIII
Around U$ 250 for the Fotodiox AF adapter.

---------- Post added 12-21-17 at 06:22 AM ----------

Oh my gosh!
12-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Some refences here to Pixel Shift and how it compares to D850

12-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Around U$ 250 for the Fotodiox AF adapter.
You can get me to 600mm ƒ4 with an adapter?

You're kidding right? I will be shooting at Bird Kingdom in a few days. ƒ4 is absolutely essential.
It would be really nice if you didn't answer a question with something irrelevant.

Some refences here to Pixel Shift and how it compares to D850
Really your going to make me listen to all that nonsense to find out what he said? IN the future I'll do the same. I'll give you a reference and say, "it's in there somewhere." Serious people at least tell us what minute to go to.

You just wasted 5 minutes of my life for nada.

Last edited by normhead; 12-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
12-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

irrelevant.
Post 20.
12-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Post 20.
What part?

I'm amazed you'd suggest you can match my tamron 2.8 and 1.4 combo with an adapter. You need a camera body, a lens, and the adapter. The total cost is not $250.

My total cost, K-3. Tamron 300 2.8 and 1.4 TC is $3000 CAD. That's about half the cost of an A9 with no adapter and no lens. What lens are you thinking of putting with it and how much does it cost?

Let me help you out...

Sony A9 $6000 CAD
Sony A7RIII $40000

Sony 500 ƒ4 $16,000 CAD.

Have you got $16,000. $20,000 for the whole system to spend, for what I can do better for $3000?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly and respectful
12-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I recently dropped my K-1 and DA* 60-250 while trying to mountt it on a tripod in minus 10 weather with mittens on, a good 5 foot fall. My guess is, with any Sony I've ever seen I wouldn't even have a camera at this point.
Was it dropped on concrete or in dirt? I dropped my A6000 on a concrete runway from 4-5 feet(unzipped pack) looks and works fine....My A7 has been covered in snow and drenched in water and used in -30C weather they are more robust than people assume.

The A7rIII has a complete metal chassis
12-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian

You can get me to 600mm ƒ4 with an adapter?

The same relative image as a 420mm f4 on a K3 you would need about 630 f5.6
you could use

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF and MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter for Sony E Kit $1138
with A7ii $1,298.00 (same resolution as k3 )total $2436
with a7rII $2398.00 (almost double
resolution as k3 )total $3536
with a7rIII $3198.00 (almost double
resolution as k3 )total $4336
12-21-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, with respect to the OP, please let's keep this on topic to the original question, and not make it into a debate on the A7R3 vs Pentax. The thread was doing fine all the way up to and including post #19, then lost its way.

I'm sure the OP would appreciate contributions from those who own the A7R3 or have an active interest in Sony cameras

Thanks in advance
12-21-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just think how different (and more useful) these threads would be if people only offered opinions about cameras they have used extensively. I have been using Pentax equipment since the MX I purchased in '78. I was an early adopter of the K-1 which continues to delight and impress me. However, I also own and use other cameras including the A7RIII. I have not used it enough yet to have a considered opinion but the EVF and quiet operation are very impressive. I have a strong emotional (ie irrational) bond with Pentax but the high end Sony cameras are also a joy to use. It is a different experience from the K-1. Ideally I would keep both but I expect finances will decide. It is very easy to resell the recent Sony equipment if I decide it is wiser to let it go.
12-21-2017, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Just think how different (and more useful) these threads would be if people only offered opinions about cameras they have used extensively. I have been using Pentax equipment since the MX I purchased in '78. I was an early adopter of the K-1 which continues to delight and impress me. However, I also own and use other cameras including the A7RIII. I have not used it enough yet to have a considered opinion but the EVF and quiet operation are very impressive. I have a strong emotional (ie irrational) bond with Pentax but the high end Sony cameras are also a joy to use. It is a different experience from the K-1. Ideally I would keep both but I expect finances will decide. It is very easy to resell the recent Sony equipment if I decide it is wiser to let it go.
How is the shutter on the A7rIII? Sound? vibration? The A9 seems to have the same shutter as the A7II, but the A9 is designed to use the electronic shutter most of the time. The AF is simply amazing.

---------- Post added 12-21-17 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Was it dropped on concrete or in dirt? I dropped my A6000 on a concrete runway from 4-5 feet(unzipped pack) looks and works fine....My A7 has been covered in snow and drenched in water and used in -30C weather they are more robust than people assume.

The A7rIII has a complete metal chassis
I have been talking to a guy who has been using his A9 is some pretty sever conditions. Working in the rain all day and not having any issues.