Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How is the shutter on the A7rIII? Sound? vibration? The A9 seems to have the same shutter as the A7II, but the A9 is designed to use the electronic shutter most of the time. The AF is simply amazing.

---------- Post added 12-21-17 at 08:47 AM ----------

I have been talking to a guy who has been using his A9 is some pretty sever conditions. Working in the rain all day and not having any issues.
Yes, I think the e-mount cameras and especially the A9 and hopefully the A7RIII are pretty rugged. Probably not Pentax rugged but rugged enough. I had the A9 for awhile but sold it to finance the A7RIII. It was a very impressive camera although I had no need for 20fps. I used silent shutter on it almost exclusively except when I used a flash and it performed perfectly. I have been mainly using silent shutter on the A7RIII but, as I mentioned above, I have not tested it extensively. So far the shutter seems for me to operate the same as the A9 but others have reported some rolling shutter and banding in certain kinds of light. The button layout and controls are almost the same as the A9 except for the extra dial on the left. I need to get it out and use it more. Trouble is, I am an unreformed Pentaxian and I tend to take my K-1 on hikes unless I expect to do some birding.

12-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes, I think the e-mount cameras and especially the A9 and hopefully the A7RIII are pretty rugged. Probably not Pentax rugged but rugged enough. I had the A9 for awhile but sold it to finance the A7RIII. It was a very impressive camera although I had no need for 20fps. I used silent shutter on it almost exclusively except when I used a flash and it performed perfectly. I have been mainly using silent shutter on the A7RIII but, as I mentioned above, I have not tested it extensively. So far the shutter seems for me to operate the same as the A9 but others have reported some rolling shutter and banding in certain kinds of light. The button layout and controls are almost the same as the A9 except for the extra dial on the left. I need to get it out and use it more. Trouble is, I am an unreformed Pentaxian and I tend to take my K-1 on hikes unless I expect to do some birding.

I look forward to hearing more about you and winder's experience and to see pictures...bring them on please!!!
12-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That's how I got my A9. The owner was selling the A9 to buy an A7rIII. The electronic shutter, better AF, and top control dial were more important to me than the resolution for most of what I do, but I can see an A7rIII being added as my second body. The silent shutter and zero blackout EVF are taking some getting use to. So far I love the camera and the high ISO is better than I expected. The K-1 files are amazing, but ultimately I need fast accurate AF more than the DR or resolution.
12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't have time to take it outside for a few days but the pictures I have taken inside our house which is all led lighting have heavy banding when in silent mode. This was never an issue with the A9.

12-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I look forward to hearing more about you and winder's experience and to see pictures...bring them on please!!!
English Corner Archives - aLLin Popescu

Here is a guy in Romania that is doing some nice work with the A9 & A7RIII.
12-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
it would be great to get you two together to take similar shots...i'm extremely intrigued about both cameras and on different days i want a different one
12-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it would be great to get you two together to take similar shots...i'm extremely intrigued about both cameras and on different days i want a different one
There are good, serious discussions, photo galleries and direct comparisons on fredmiranda.com in the Sony forum. Check it out.

12-23-2017, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

This is the first real test shoot with the A9. 55mm F/1.8 lens. Newborns tend to be a little pink and ruddy so I desaturated the colors just a little bit and reduced the contrast to soften the image a bit. Single window light. I sat with my legs crossed on the floor and used the tilt screen to compose. Eye AF did an amazing job of keeping the eyes sharp as I worried about composition and the silent shutter was perfect for not startling the baby. I have had the screw drive and shutter/mirror on my DSLRs startle a even wake up a sleeping baby. This is the LR versions, but I'm also playing around with the image in C1 Pro. The A9 RAW files a definitely different than the A7II or the K-1. I'm having to adjust all my presets. I will play with several images a bit more and then make some 13x19 prints to compare.

I photograph people 99% of the time so 24MP is plenty and the silent shutter and blackout free shooting is something I'm really enjoying.

12-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is the first real test shoot with the A9. 55mm F/1.8 lens. Newborns tend to be a little pink and ruddy so I desaturated the colors just a little bit and reduced the contrast to soften the image a bit. Single window light. I sat with my legs crossed on the floor and used the tilt screen to compose. Eye AF did an amazing job of keeping the eyes sharp as I worried about composition and the silent shutter was perfect for not startling the baby. I have had the screw drive and shutter/mirror on my DSLRs startle a even wake up a sleeping baby. This is the LR versions, but I'm also playing around with the image in C1 Pro. The A9 RAW files a definitely different than the A7II or the K-1. I'm having to adjust all my presets. I will play with several images a bit more and then make some 13x19 prints to compare.

I photograph people 99% of the time so 24MP is plenty and the silent shutter and blackout free shooting is something I'm really enjoying.
Beautiful!!!!!
01-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Beautiful!!!!!
Thank you. Still learning the camera. I have been using the Sony-Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 a good bit and the rendering and AF speed of the lens is just amazing. The build quality is not as good as the K-1 or D5, but its better than a Canon 5D series or Nikon D750. I put the grip on the camera and it balances a lot better. I will post some more pictures soon. So far the camera has been very impressive. I'm sure the A7rIII is just as impressive if you need the 42MP.
01-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you. Still learning the camera. I have been using the Sony-Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 a good bit and the rendering and AF speed of the lens is just amazing. The build quality is not as good as the K-1 or D5, but its better than a Canon 5D series or Nikon D750. I put the grip on the camera and it balances a lot better. I will post some more pictures soon. So far the camera has been very impressive. I'm sure the A7rIII is just as impressive if you need the 42MP.
thanks Winder. I broke down and ordered the riii and hopefully will have today...will let you know how it progresses as well!!! amy
01-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #42
Veteran Member

thanks Winder. I broke down and ordered the riii and hopefully will have today...will let you know how it progresses as well!!! amy
Awesome. I am going to sell my A7II and either buy a second A9 or an R3 so I have been looking into the R3 more and more. Sony has made a huge number of improvements since the A7II. The out of camera JPEG sharpening and noise reduction are really, really good. OOC JPEGs from Sony were awful for years. Worse than Pentax, but Sony has obviously been paying attention and put in the work/ The menus are still not great, but they are 10x better than they were on the A7II. Mostly I want consistency in the controls. For years I shot with two systems side by side and that was just stupid. I look back at it and want to slap myself. I want the R3, but I will probably get a second A9 so I have all the controls in the same place. Few things are more frustrating than switching cameras in the middle of the wedding and having to stop and think about how to make a change because you are trying to memorize 2 menu systems.

I would follow the Fred Miranda forum if you are not already. A lot of good discussion by professionals who are using Sony for everything from weddings to BIF. What lenses are you going to start with?
01-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome. I am going to sell my A7II and either buy a second A9 or an R3 so I have been looking into the R3 more and more. Sony has made a huge number of improvements since the A7II. The out of camera JPEG sharpening and noise reduction are really, really good. OOC JPEGs from Sony were awful for years. Worse than Pentax, but Sony has obviously been paying attention and put in the work/ The menus are still not great, but they are 10x better than they were on the A7II. Mostly I want consistency in the controls. For years I shot with two systems side by side and that was just stupid. I look back at it and want to slap myself. I want the R3, but I will probably get a second A9 so I have all the controls in the same place. Few things are more frustrating than switching cameras in the middle of the wedding and having to stop and think about how to make a change because you are trying to memorize 2 menu systems.

I would follow the Fred Miranda forum if you are not already. A lot of good discussion by professionals who are using Sony for everything from weddings to BIF. What lenses are you going to start with?
Thanks Winder. I am starting with the 24-70 so i can have direct comparison to the K1 and 24-70 but if I am pleased with how it handles I will be going after other lens. With the short winter days I feel the 24-70 would be a better way to evaluate inside and out. I have looked at Fred Miranda but thanks for reminding me!!!
01-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Thanks Winder. I am starting with the 24-70 so i can have direct comparison to the K1 and 24-70 but if I am pleased with how it handles I will be going after other lens. With the short winter days I feel the 24-70 would be a better way to evaluate inside and out. I have looked at Fred Miranda but thanks for reminding me!!!
Looks like a great lens. Let us know what you think.

01-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I wonder how these 2 compare to G master?

---------- Post added 01-06-18 at 06:58 AM ----------

A difference of opinion on the stabilisation?

Shame they cant be tested on the KP!