Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone get a Sony A 7 riii?

I am curious what people think about the camera overall?

12-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I am curious what people think about the camera overall?
Not yet. I'm probably going to get an A9, but the A7rIII is very interesting. I know someone with an A9 who is buying an A7rIII and selling the A9.
The A7rIII looks like a great camera if you need 42MP. DPR basically said the A7rIII and the D850 were equals with each having its own strenghts.
Sony has definitely listened to feed back and made the improvements people have been asking for.
12-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Not yet. I'm probably going to get an A9, but the A7rIII is very interesting. I know someone with an A9 who is buying an A7rIII and selling the A9.
The A7rIII looks like a great camera if you need 42MP. DPR basically said the A7rIII and the D850 were equals with each having its own strenghts.
Sony has definitely listened to feed back and made the improvements people have been asking for.
I was originally thinking about the A9 too but the A7 looks very tempting
12-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was originally thinking about the A9 too but the A7 looks very tempting
Imaging Resource claims the A7rIII is the "best overall professional camera on the market today" - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

If the A7rIII had the same silent shutter, AF speed, and extra top control dial of the A9, I would buy the A7rIII. The extra megapickles and small bump in DR are not as important to me as some of the other features.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/12/05/sony-a7r-iii-field-test-this...ssional-camera

12-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for this info...the one thing i learned that has me concerned is the dust factor...seems to be a signifcant problem and one that makes me take a few steps back...i've come to the conclusion it is a want/need issue...i want but do i really need...the focus aspect has me drooling but is it worth the $...something i need to decide..thanks for these links...i have read alot and even talked with a frind who has used both the a9 and a7 and he prefers the 9 (only used each for a weekend)...couldn't give me a specific reason...he thought the 7 was amazing but said the 9 was better.....
12-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks for this info...the one thing i learned that has me concerned is the dust factor...seems to be a signifcant problem and one that makes me take a few steps back...i've come to the conclusion it is a want/need issue...i want but do i really need...the focus aspect has me drooling but is it worth the $...something i need to decide..thanks for these links...i have read alot and even talked with a frind who has used both the a9 and a7 and he prefers the 9 (only used each for a weekend)...couldn't give me a specific reason...he thought the 7 was amazing but said the 9 was better.....
I have had the A7II since it came out. I have never had a dust problem. Yes, I am careful and I usually have 2 bodies with different lenses so I don't change in the field a whole lot. I would not call dust a significant problem, but yes it is more of an issue than with DSLRs.

My A9 arrived this morning. I rented one for an event a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed. The silent shutter, no blackout, AF point coverage and tracking is something you have to use to really understand how big it is for event shooters. No dirty looks from the video team. I have not used the A7rIII, but talking to people who have used both they say the AF of the A9 is better especially in low light. Taking pictures of kids playing inside of a church I had only 3 out of focus images out of a couple of hundred. The Eye-AF locks and tracks well.

I wish the A9 had the build quality of my K-1, but its pretty solid. Waiting on my Sony 70-200mm F/2.8 GM lens to get here.
12-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My A9 arrived this morning
Waiting on my Sony 70-200mm F/2.8 GM lens to get here.
You have made a major investment,keep us informed as to the + and - that you find,please.

12-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You have made a major investment,keep us informed as to the + and - that you find,please.
I might start a seperate thread about it. The A9 is simply a speed demon. With the electonic shutter and the camera set to 20fps I take 4 frames just by pressing the button for a split second. On the K-1 set to high I could still take a single frame just by being quick on the shutter button. With the A9 I can't do that. I might be able to with more practice, but with the drive set to high it is hard to take a quick single shot.

The body is heavier and feels more dense thna my A7II. The buttons and dials have more feedback when you make adjustments. The menu options are endless and I need to spend a lot more time diving in and learning the setup. EVF is very, very good. When i rented it I set it up like my A7II for the sake of familiarity, but the A9 has a much more robust feature set that I need to learn to really take advantage of what the camera can do.

I see a lot of people pick up a mirrorless camera and try to use it like a DSLR and they get frustratied. I did that at first. You have to setup mirrorless cameras to do what they do best. They have technology that you have to use or there is no point. The A9 has facial recognition so I can program the bride into the camera memory and if she is anywhere in the scene it will focus on her face. Not only will it automatically focus on her face it will meter for her face if I have that setup so the brides face is always in focus and properly exposed. I can worry about composition and not deal with the whole focus/lock meter and recompose. Even with using the A7II for a couple of years, I think I will have a long learning curve with the A9. So far I'm very pleased with the high ISO performance. The DR and detail is not as good as the K-1 when pixel peeping, but it is still very good and better than any thing Canon makes. The OOC JPEGs even at 6400 are surprisingly good.

Last edited by Winder; 12-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
12-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I might start a seperate thread about it. The A9 is simply a speed demon. With the electonic shutter and the camera set to 20fps I take 4 frames just by pressing the button for a split second. On the K-1 set to high I could still take a single frame just by being quick on the shutter button. With the A9 I can't do that. I might be able to with more practice, but with the drive set to high it is hard to take a quick single shot.

The body is heavier and feels more dense thna my A7II. The buttons and dials have more feedback when you make adjustments. The menu options are endless and I need to spend a lot more time diving in and learning the setup. EVF is very, very good. When i rented it I set it up like my A7II for the sake of familiarity, but the A9 has a much more robust feature set that I need to learn to really take advantage of what the camera can do.

I see a lot of people pick up a mirrorless camera and try to use it like a DSLR and they get frustratied. I did that at first. You have to setup mirrorless cameras to do what they do best. They have technology that you have to use or there is no point. The A9 has facial recognition so I can program the bride into the camera memory and if she is anywhere in the scene it will focus on her face. Not only will it automatically focus on her face it will meter for her face if I have that setup so the brides face is always in focus and properly exposed. I can worry about composition and not deal with the whole focus/lock meter and recompose. Even with using the A7II for a couple of years, I think I will have a long learning curve with the A9. So far I'm very pleased with the high ISO performance. The DR and detail is not as good as the K-1 when pixel peeping, but it is still very good and better than any thing Canon makes. The OOC JPEGs even at 6400 are surprisingly good.

I agree with Surfar. Would love to see your pictures and the things you learn!!!!
12-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

That's some cool stuff. Not relevant to what I spend my time doing, but cool none the less.
12-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not relevant to what I spend my time doing
You use your own eye for the bird recognition. This, for Sony, is a supernatural thing to do.
12-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A few things that will become available..Sigma Art series
Attached Images

12-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

12-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Some comparitive comments...5000 shots on one battery with 37% left!
12-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Some comparitive comments...5000 shots on one battery with 37% left!
Question is on how many minutes or hours or days ? i haven't seen the video yet.