Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Singlex with 55mm F1.4 lens on a popular UK auction site.

Not sure if this post should be in another thread but am sure someone will kindly move it if it is.

Looking on that UK auction site, part of the world wide popular (or unpopular) auction site, I noticed this Ricoh camera with lens for sale, close to me in Southern England.
4 days to go before it sells and at the time of writing 2 bids up to £5.50only.

From what I have read this camera and lens use the Nikon F bayonet mount so maybe that can be altered to use on Pentax K cameras (or with an adapter to mirrorless or 4/3 or m4/3 or indeed on a Nikon!)

I have assumed this lens (and maybe the camera too) might be of interest to some forum members.

Listed as Ricoh Singlex SLR camera with 55mm lens in good condition paste that in your browser and you should find it.
I won't try to provide a link, I would do something wrong!

01-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a collectors item to me. Most of the singlexes listed are M42. I wonder what the derivation of that very olde style 55mm is - the early nikon f1.4 was a 58mm, then developed into a 50mm. But there were a number of manufacturers of 55mm 1.4, tomioka for example.
01-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Looks like a collectors item to me. Most of the singlexes listed are M42. I wonder what the derivation of that very olde style 55mm is - the early nikon f1.4 was a 58mm, then developed into a 50mm. But there were a number of manufacturers of 55mm 1.4, tomioka for example.

I had a look around and the lens appears to be Tomioka derived. Apparently according to Camerapedia this Ricoh was a development of the ..well this is what it has to say.

The Ricoh Singlex was introduced in 1962. It was the first Ricoh reflex camera with interchangeable lenses. At this time, demand for export market was strong and Ricoh wasn't ready to produce his own reflex camera. The Singlex was a further development of the Nikkorex F made by Mamiya for Nikon. The original Singlex is the only Ricoh SLR having a Nikon F lens mount, the ensuing models having a 42mm screw mount throughout most of the next decade. The rarest version is black, with special all black 55/1.4. The Ricoh Singlex was also sold as Sears SL 11.
Mamiya sold the camera design to Ricoh, who produced it as the Ricoh Singlex, complete with Nikon F mount. The Ricoh Singlex was produced in the same Mamiya factory as the Nikkorex F. The external clip-on CdS meter sold by Ricoh is specific. The same with Rikenon F-Mount lenses that are totally diferents than the Nikkor lenses. The standard lens for the Singlex is the Rikenon 1:1.4 f=55mm.
01-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I had a look around and the lens appears to be Tomioka derived. Apparently according to Camerapedia this Ricoh was a development of the ..well this is what it has to say.

The Ricoh Singlex was introduced in 1962. It was the first Ricoh reflex camera with interchangeable lenses. At this time, demand for export market was strong and Ricoh wasn't ready to produce his own reflex camera. The Singlex was a further development of the Nikkorex F made by Mamiya for Nikon. The original Singlex is the only Ricoh SLR having a Nikon F lens mount, the ensuing models having a 42mm screw mount throughout most of the next decade. The rarest version is black, with special all black 55/1.4. The Ricoh Singlex was also sold as Sears SL 11.
Mamiya sold the camera design to Ricoh, who produced it as the Ricoh Singlex, complete with Nikon F mount. The Ricoh Singlex was produced in the same Mamiya factory as the Nikkorex F. The external clip-on CdS meter sold by Ricoh is specific. The same with Rikenon F-Mount lenses that are totally diferents than the Nikkor lenses. The standard lens for the Singlex is the Rikenon 1:1.4 f=55mm.
Yes, that is the story as I have understood it. What I am not remembering clearly is whether there might be a subtle incompatibility between the Nikon F and the Ricoh F variant.

The compelling part of the story from my perspective is that the Nikkorex/Singlex was the first application of the Copal "Square" vertical metal shutter. All subsequent M42 Ricoh models as well as all Nikkormat (son of Nikkorex) models used that or similar Copal shutter. The electronically-controlled shutter in today's Pentax dSLRs is a direct descendant of that in the Nikkorex/Singlex. I have had the privilege of handling both the Nikkorex and Singlex and neither is a particularly compelling camera in the hand, though both may be thought of as scions of successful lines of highly durable SLR cameras that continued through to the mid-1970s.*

Steve

* I own a Singlex TLS, the successor to the original Singlex. Like the contemporary Nikkormat FTn, the shutter sound is ummmm...assertive. It just amazes me that despite zero maintenance (except new seals) since ~1968 when it was made, the shutter is still accurate and reliable today.

01-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is the story as I have understood it. What I am not remembering clearly is whether there might be a subtle incompatibility between the Nikon F and the Ricoh F variant . . .

Yes, they are different. Normal F mount lenses fit onto my Singlex, but the Rikenon F mount 55mm won't fit onto the Nikon camera (at least not easily).
I don't know the mount terminology ("lugs"?), but you can see the difference here:

01-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, they are different. Normal F mount lenses fit onto my Singlex, but the Rikenon F mount 55mm won't fit onto the Nikon camera (at least not easily).
I don't know the mount terminology ("lugs"?), but you can see the difference here:

I read somewhere that the Nikon lens bayonet can fit a K bayonet camera, albeit with the registration difference and the lens not fitting with the lettering aligned or actuation lever working. Have you tried the Nikon or Ricoh lenses on a Pentax?
Don't feel the need to try it if you have not, would hate to see something damaged if not true.
01-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I've managed to take pics on my NX20 with NX to PK adapter with an F-mount lens. The lens eases on about a quarter way, upsidedown. Don't let go of either lens or camera!

01-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I've managed to take pics on my NX20 with NX to PK adapter with an F-mount lens. The lens eases on about a quarter way, upsidedown. Don't let go of either lens or camera!
Looking on that auction site, the Chinese have adapters for Nikon F to NX under £10.....
Unfortunately I have disposed of my few F lenses along with my one Nikon body otherwise I'm sure my wife would understand the need for a mirrorless camera with one or two adapters.
01-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I acquired the NX20 as an upgrade for my lumix G1, which I still have however. For that I have adapters for all the common mounts except OM (for a while there were sellers putting the adapters on auction and I got them cheap!). I picked up PK, M42 and FD for the NX (the FD specifically to use with my FD 400mm f4.5) but have been disinclined to leak more x£10+ for other adapters...

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-13-2018 at 08:49 AM.
01-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I acquired the NX20 as a replacement for my lumix G1, which I still have however. For that I have adapters for all the common mounts except OM (for a while there were sellers putting the adapters on auction and I got them cheap!). I picked up PK, M42 and FD for the NX (the FD specifically to use with my FD 400mm f4.5) but have been disinclined to leak more x£10+ for other adapters...
Very nice. I have a FD 50mm F1.4 that I have used on my Canon 20D and Chinese adapter maybe I should think seriously about disposing of my Two Canon DSLRs and going for something mirrorless, obviously FF would be the dream.
01-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I browse the listings every so often for full frame possibilities, the market for those is, shall we say, firm. I paid a hundred for the NX20 (after selling the software), 150 for my K5 (after selling the DA18-135 it came with), 500+ for a sony is above me at the mo....
The NX20 has a good spec., but photograhically the K5 is comfortably better particularly for dynamic range, in spite of being the older camera. But when I want to be sure of focus I resort to the mirrorless.
01-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote

Lugs, tangs, ears...

Yes the difference is obvious. I wonder if the Nikkorex had a similar F-mount variant.

Steve
01-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lugs, tangs, ears...
Thanks. I think Pentax Forums needs an illustrated glossary!

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I read somewhere that the Nikon lens bayonet can fit a K bayonet camera, albeit with the registration difference and the lens not fitting with the lettering aligned or actuation lever working. Have you tried the Nikon or Ricoh lenses on a Pentax?
Don't feel the need to try it if you have not, would hate to see something damaged if not true.
Probably in the past I've tried to fit a Nikon lens on my Pentax DSLR. But I don't think I've ever actually shot any photos that way. As you read and as marcus noted, it can be done, but it's precarious. And since you asked, I had to give the Ricoh 55mm a try! No luck. Using normal effort, it won't mount at all on a Pentax.

And by the way, I didn't own any Nikon lenses until after I bought a used Canon 5D a few years ago. I wanted a full frame DSLR to use with my M42 lenses and the 5D was the most affordable choice. Another reason I bought a Canon was the ability to mount old Nikon and Olympus lenses with cheap adapters.
01-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first slr was a Ricoh TLS Singlex, with a Ricoh (or was it Rikenon) f2.8 55mm, given to me by my dad in the early 1970s, who got it used from somebody not long before. It looked new, but I don't know how old it was at the time. It was m42 mount. Capabilities and operation were nearly identical to an original Spotmatic. Pretty much the same camera and lens were sold at the same time or not long after labeled Sears. I upgraded the lens to a Super-Takumar 1.8/55. Used the camera for about 25 years, then traded it in for a K-mount. Kept the Tak.