Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax won’t be far behind.
01-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax won’t be far behind.
Pentax should be able to get a product to market fairly quickly - apparently the sensor in the K-70 is appropriate for a MILC - but I doubt their willingness to go back down that trail.
01-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
apparently the sensor in the K-70 is appropriate for a MILC
Will it do 4K video though?....Its essential that any cameras FF & downwards have that ability.And sure many on here dont do video,i use other brands for that.(the K-1 got swicthed on for 5 seconds to see if it worked!)

The point is 4K is standard now, anything less will have trouble penetrating the market.[COLOR="Silver"]

01-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neat, good for them. Bit of a bandwagon for companies to get on, still enjoying a mirror for my main camera. (or ground glass!)
01-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

The original source: Nikon's upcoming mirrorless camera rumored to have a new Z-mount with 16mm flange focal distance | Nikon Rumors

I can see one interesting advantage of a mirrorless ILC with a proper EVF -- focus peaking in the VF and digital zoom. Both could be really handy for manual focus lenses.

There is no guarantee, assuming (and thats a big assumption) this camera takes flight, that it will have IBIS though. That seems to be one of the loud wants I read from Nikonland with this camera...

If there is ever a Pentax Mirrorless with EVF that could be one nice advantage. I am just tired of the vintage ergonomics because they are poor ergonomics. They made sense in the 50s or 60s when your materials thus designs were limited. Today the camera body better have a large, comfortable grip to hold and not simply designed from reminiscing on bright but past days.
01-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see Nikon being any cheaper than Sony on the new system. Nikon has a lot of work to do to catch up and I hope they really push Sony hard. Sony is doing a good job, but they still have a lot of room for improvement. I wish I could get the 105mm F/1.4 as a native FE lens for my A9. The 105mm is an excellent lens.

01-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It will be interesting,Canon is rumoured to have ML/FF this year as well....Hence the name of the thread.

Nikon have to develop a new mount + a few lenses + an AF adapter for the existing FF glass.Similarly for Canon.

I think both will undercut $$$ony, the whole exersise is to retain users and maybe win some back that went to $$$0ny.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't see Nikon being any cheaper than Sony on the new system. Nikon has a lot of work to do to catch up and I hope they really push Sony hard.
01-12-2018, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I am just tired of the vintage ergonomics because they are poor ergonomics. They made sense in the 50s or 60s when your materials thus designs were limited. Today the camera body better have a large, comfortable grip to hold and not simply designed from reminiscing on bright but past days.
This is where we differ. I loved my old Super Program. When I get a KP I will put the smallest grip on it - the grip is my one issue with my K-30.

Last edited by reh321; 01-12-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add photo showing mostly gripless Super Program
01-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't imagine another K-01 style mirrorless with k-mount lenses and registration distance. Can't imagine Ricoh going with a new mount any time soon with the new lenses that are being worked on. Seems like a years away, if ever, situation for Ricoh/Pentax.
01-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Can't imagine another K-01 style mirrorless with k-mount lenses and registration distance. Can't imagine Ricoh going with a new mount any time soon with the new lenses that are being worked on. Seems like a years away, if ever, situation for Ricoh/Pentax.
I can imagine something with the dimensions of my Super Program, but no mirror - that is essentially what Sony has with their A7Riii
01-12-2018, 09:46 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a hard-core Pentaxian its hard to say this but...Ricoh needs to make a "Ricoh" mirror less in an e-mount or a new mount and then sell the adapter for K-mount lenses.
Give it all the bells and video whistles it needs.
That way, when the K3III comes it will be different enough to not canabalize "Pentax" and can grow the "Ricoh" name without offending us Pentaxians.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it could do what my Sony A6500 does and be compatible with my Pentax glass with an adapter.
01-12-2018, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
As a hard-core Pentaxian its hard to say this but...Ricoh needs to make a "Ricoh" mirror less in an e-mount or a new mount and then sell the adapter for K-mount lenses.
Give it all the bells and video whistles it needs.
That way, when the K3III comes it will be different enough to not canabalize "Pentax" and can grow the "Ricoh" name without offending us Pentaxians.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it could do what my Sony A6500 does and be compatible with my Pentax glass with an adapter.
Yeah, they might have to do something like that - the Pentax identity is so wrapped up in the Pentaprism, but even then they would have to come up with a few lenses for the new mount, and they seem to have trouble coming up with lenses needed to support the K-1.
01-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is where we differ. I loved my old Super Program. When I get a KP I will put the smallest grip on it - the grip is my one issue with my K-30.

YES! I fairly quickly ended up with the smallest grip on my KP. I love that camera.
01-13-2018, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I am just tired of the vintage ergonomics because they are poor ergonomics. They made sense in the 50s or 60s when your materials thus designs were limited. Today the camera body better have a large, comfortable grip to hold and not simply designed from reminiscing on bright but past days.
It's a funny thing, but design seems to be an evolutionary process, which is very conservative - total rethinks usually make a short term splash and then disappear, dismissed as gimmicks. People just seem more comfortable with the familiar, even if it's not optimal, and don't want to retrain themselves to use something that might just be a flash in the pan - hence qwerty keyboards - even attempts to make the shape more ergonomic didn't stick, although that's possibly partly down to laptops and later tablets requiring them to be flat