Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Top 10 Most Popular Lenses - Rented in the UK

Guest post: Top 10 Most Popular Lenses in UK - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

I wouldn't have thought that a 50mm was the most common lens to be rented in the UK. This could be due to several factors. I would have thought that the 35mm would have been the most common and the 85mm second. Maybe people tend to buy those lenses and rent the 50mm when they need one. When I was shooting Canon I would rent the 200mmL when I needed it. I just didn't need it enough to justify buying it.

I thought I was one of the few people who really liked the 50mm focal length. Everyone is always saying that is not wide enough or not long enough.

Last edited by Winder; 01-14-2018 at 08:39 AM.
01-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Maybe people tend to buy those lenses and rent the 50mm when they need one
That would be my explanation - people rent it because they don't buy it - OTOH, when users here see the results of the new D-FA, all that will change, for that lens at least
01-14-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Presumably Ricoh has seen data like this over the years which is why they are creating the 50/1.4.

The people that say 50mm is not wide enough or not long enough miss the simple fact that every lens in existence is the wrong lens for most pictures. The entire point of an interchangeable lens camera is to pick the specific focal length, aperture, focusing range, sharpness, rendering, etc. the best suits the photographers vision, client needs, working conditions, and type of scene.

I, too, love 50mm but I also know it's the wrong lens for most of the pictures I take. But for some of the pictures I take, no other lens will do.
01-14-2018, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Guest post: Top 10 Most Popular Lenses in UK - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

I wouldn't have thought that a 50mm was the most common lens to be rented in the UK.
It isn't.

Not that it's possible to tell from this data, since it only shows searches not completed rentals, and for only one provider...but even if searches equates to rentals and Fat Lama is representative of the whole market, the top of this list is the Canon EF 24-105. A fairly pricey lens with not amazing reviews, so maybe it's rent-it-and-see. The most common focal length is 70-200, unsurprisingly as they are usually premium lenses perfect for weddings and such. The EF 50mm is third on the list and 50mm in general is top only of the primes category.

01-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It isn't.
Not that it's possible to tell from this data, since it only shows searches not completed rentals, and for only one provider
Yes,
Now....Lens Rentals?....Its in the USA?...i dont know.

Recently there was a thread/news item that indicated that FUJI lenses showed a 91% increase @ LR.The biggest increase of any brand.

Again,only one provider....but completed rentals.

Not a Fuji lens from the UK provider.