Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New system for photo+video?

Hi all, I知 coming back into photography after a few years off. I致e been invested in the Pentax system for the last 15 years ago, but as I got my start when I was younger and poorer, my gear collection is relatively small.

I知 looking to add more video to my portfolio, a combination of travel work (when I知 on vacation), family videos, and short 5-10 min tutorials for a class I teach. It sounds like Pentax is basically a dead end for video production, and I壇 like to have one system for both photo and video if possible.

I知 curious if folks have any recommendations for a system that will probably be about 60% stills and 40% video?

Fuji X looks appealing for photo, but with some handicaps for video and a significant price hike vs Pentax.
M43 looks to have the best video options but with some limitations for stills and for wide shots.
Sony seems to be in the middle.

Thanks!

01-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I was looking for a system with good video autofocus at low cost, seems like Sony A6xx series is good. The A5100 would be my choice due to its touch screen at lowest budget.
01-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depends how much you want to spend and what video features that you need?

---------- Post added 01-18-18 at 04:13 PM ----------

M43 is good for video, Olympus entry level shoots 5 axis stabilised 4K...the stills are excellent.Lens range is big and growing....the system can be small and light but fast glass can grow it in weight.

Panasonic has good options too.
01-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Check out the Panasonic G85. Does 4k video, has a vibration free shutter, 5-axis IBIS, ISO 12800 images are useable, & has a ton of other features.

Olympus would be my next choice. The OMD E-M5 Mark II does nice video, but no 4k. I think the still IQ is just a hair nicer with Olympus cameras.

Sony APS-C E-mount bodies are also nice, but the APS-C specific lens range sucks. You'd have to pay some serious money for some FF glass that's missing. Might as well dump the money on a FF E-mount body instead.

01-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Budget would probably be about $1,500-2,000 to start, but that includes some audio recording equipment so ideally less than that for the initial camera gear.

For my work videos, good 1080p with the ability to mic into the camera would be ideal. For the travel and family videos 4K would be nice to do stabilization in post and crop without losing much quality.

I was looking at the G85 too. The video quality and features especially on the Panasonic bodies are great, but I知 a little hesitant to switch to m43 as a lot of my stills work is available light, shallow DOF or wide-angle.

The XT2 looks really nice for stills, and the video looks good too, but the recording limit without the grip is a bummer.

01-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the videos I get with my Pentax K1 camera body. In my book, there's nothing wrong with 1080p at 30fps. I don't need 240fps slow motion. Also I sure don't need 4K, because even though I have a fast modern desktop computer, I expect that it's not enough of a "beast" to be able to handle aggressive editing of 4K videos.

Sure, everybody wants 4K video these days. But I wonder how many of these photographers who want 4K have actually tried editing 4K video files???? I expect to do so one needs a high end computer and good skills with their video editing software of choice. I'd venture to say that many 4K wanabees don't have a computer big enough to handle 4k editing, and problably have little to no experience with the finer points of editing 4K video in post.

I just take videos to show on my big TVs to the family. Also, I make videos for an on-line university, and 1080p is just fine for my needs.

Also, I currently own 2 Fuji X cameras, and have owned 4 or 5 other Fuji X cameras previously. Sorry, but their still photos don't compare with Pentax still photos! Most of my photos are outdoors in natural light. It's hard for me to explain, but every so often, on certain subjects, all Fuji X cameras produce weird/ugly "worms" in the details (especially with fine details in trees and brush).

Also, I think that your $1,500 budget is way to low for a camera/lens system that produces great stills, great video, and audio gear too. Especially given your comment about how you don't care for smaller sensor sizes because they don't produce a cinematic look with shallow DOF. Heck, a good microphone and preamp alone will set you back at least $400.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-18-2018 at 12:55 PM.
01-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I like the videos I get with my Pentax K1 camera body. In my book, there's nothing wrong with 1080p at 30fps. I don't need 240fps slow motion. Also I sure don't need 4K, because even though I have a fast modern desktop computer, I expect that it's not enough of a "beast" to be able to handle aggressive editing of 4K videos.

I just take videos to show on my big TVs to the family. Also, I make videos for an on-line university, and 1080p is just fine for my needs.

Also, I currently own 2 Fuji X cameras, and have owned 4 or 5 other Fuji X cameras previously. Sorry, but their still photos don't compare with Pentax still photos! Most of my photos are outdoors in natural light. It's hard for me to explain, but every so often, on certain subjects, all Fuji X cameras produce weird/ugly "worms" in the details (especially with fine details in trees and brush).

Also, I think that your budget is way to low for a camera that produces great stills, great video, and audio gear. My microphone and preamp alone are north of $500.

Thanks for the feedback, especially from an X user.

I知 coming from a K7 and a handful of legacy glass, so I僧 looking at investing in new lenses and a body either way. I知 just wondering whether I壇 be better off switching systems to give me more capability in the future.

What do you use for your audio? I知 thinking about a lav mic, maybe a shotgun and a preamp or an audio recorder to start, although it would probably be easier to record straight into the camera.

01-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
Thanks for the feedback, especially from an X user.

I’m coming from a K7 and a handful of legacy glass, so I‘m looking at investing in new lenses and a body either way. I’m just wondering whether I’d be better off switching systems to give me more capability in the future.

What do you use for your audio? I’m thinking about a lav mic, maybe a shotgun and a preamp or an audio recorder to start, although it would probably be easier to record straight into the camera.

Audio is just as important as the moving images on video. I know of no digital camera whose audio would not be improved greatly with a preamp. My preamp is Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO Active XLR Compact Adapter ($145).

Personally, I prefer to record directly into my K1's. Recording audio separately to me just creates another un-needed step in post to syc up the audio and video. Also, nothing is worse than a video where the audio does not match up with the picture. Obviously, recording audio in camera eliminates that extra step, saves you time in editing, and eliminates the possiblity that the audio does not syn up perfectly with the image.

I have a number of nice microphones of various types (shotgun, condenser, etc.). Select a microphone based on what you will be recording (voice over vs studio vs nature vs vlogging vs interviews - etc.). I've tried various mics, and seem to always end up coming back to Rode mics.
01-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I currently own 2 Fuji X cameras
Which ones?
01-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

A good Microphone!
01-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Sony a7 or a7II. Has everything you need except 4k.
features I like for video.
FF
Zebra
Focus peaking
Clear Image Zoom(2x smooth Zoom, so a 50mm prime becomes a 50-100mm zoom lens retaining 1080p throughout the range)
Mic input
Multishoe mic
headphone out
Hdmi out
sony remote commander
tonnes of aftermarket accessories