Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fuji to Aquire Xerox for $6.1 Billion

Fujifilm acquires Xerox for $6.1 billion | Ars Technica

Looks Like Fuji and Ricoh will be competing in multiple industries.

01-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The question is why? Because they missed out on buying the other company from Rochester?
01-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Angry man thinks Fuji want to produce pro level photo printers, does Xerox have that expertise?
01-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They actually purchased 50.1% share of the company. Here in Rochester it is being called a "merger". Like Kodak, Xerox is a shell of it's former self. Xerox did invent the computer mouse and the GUI but chose not to do anything with it. Steve Jobs saw it and had an idea. Xerox said, "Sure. Go ahead. No charge."

01-31-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
They actually purchased 50.1% share of the company. Here in Rochester it is being called a "merger". Like Kodak, Xerox is a shell of it's former self. Xerox did invent the computer mouse and the GUI but chose not to do anything with it. Steve Jobs saw it and had an idea. Xerox said, "Sure. Go ahead. No charge."
It’s complex. Fujifilm owns 75% of Fuji Xerox (Joint Venture company). They will merge that company with old Xerox and change the name of the entire global enterprise to FujiXerox and will own 50.1%. Xerox shareholders will receive a cash payment and (diluted) stock in FujiXerox.

Old FX JV is the unit that had the ‘accounting irregularity’ scandal in Australia a few years ago. Carl Icahn is suing to abrogate the 55 year old Joint Marketing Agreement. Deal hopes to emphasize document management and medical imaging and cut printer and copier hardware businesses. Laying off 10,000 globally. Ricoh redux?

What I hear is Konica Minolta is the only document management company making money in the US. My company has 5,500 Ricoh printers and 2,800 Ricoh Copier/Scanners (that store document images on local TCP/IP networks).

Japan Times article.

CNN Money article (better)

Last edited by monochrome; 01-31-2018 at 07:19 PM.
01-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Xerox made a lot of costly mistakes about 25-30 years ago and lost their lock on the copier business. trying to live off a reputation while their competitors passed them by at the speed of light. They did not think they had competition and that reputation faded fast. They have had to change and diversify a lot since then to survive. A very interesting acquisition.
01-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Xerox did not invent the mouse or the graphical user interface. Douglas Engelbart of the Stanford Research Institute in did 1963-64. He demonstrated both publicly in 1968 at the Mother of All Demos...

The people at PARC were heavily influenced by the MoAD and incorporated the concepts into Alto and SmallTalk. Steve Jobs did visit PARC and was shown a demonstration of SmallTalk and networked computing, but what he took away from it was the GUI. But he didn't just walk in for free. Xerox was allowed to buy 100,000 shares of Apple stock before the public offering for $100 million. Bill Atkinson and Andy Hertzfeld wrote QuickDraw which allowed them to create a GUI with overlapping windows and other things that the Xerox interface didn't have...

01-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boris, you are right. I guess I am getting a bit addled in my old age. A Xerox computer was used for the demo. Oooooooooooooooooooops. I do miss my TRS-80 Model 4 computer. I learned a lot on that box.
02-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Fujifilm acquires Xerox for $6.1 billion | Ars Technica

Looks Like Fuji and Ricoh will be competing in multiple industries.
I don't know about the copiers but I think I can predict the winner in the camera business: Pentax was bought by Ricoh but Fuji buys Xerox. I am probably not the only one having moved from Pentax (K5IIS) to Fuji (X-T20).
02-01-2018, 11:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Didn't realize Fuji had that much money.