Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the entire Samsung Mini NX system - camera and three lenses.

I like it a lot, but the Samsung debacle - they must have dropped millions - showed you have to do better than just to put out a high tech mirrorless camera and assume everyone puts down what they're doing and buy it!

02-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have the entire Samsung Mini NX system - camera and three lenses.
And we have discussed how good it is!...uses same battery as my phone,which is a point and shoot camera....which is my most used photographic device seeing its with me 24/7(except for surfing and showering(i dont have it turned on for the other S!(dont ban me Mack!)

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I like it a lot, but the Samsung debacle - they must have dropped millions - showed you have to do better than just to put out a high tech mirrorless camera and assume everyone puts down what they're doing and buy it!
Yes, they thought all they had to do was invent a better mouse trap...the mice are smarter than that!
02-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
SAME as Pentax Q series(so ive got 2 dead systems without a funeral yet!)
The plot thickens!
I don't quite understand what you're saying here. The bag for my 38-month-old Q-7 sits right next to the bag for my 32-month-old K-30. Usually I pick the K-30, but that is a mission choice. I haven't purchased anything for the Q-7 recently, but I haven't purchased anything for the K-30 recently. I'm still trying to decide what to make of the new adapters from Metabones. Frankly, I think of each of them in kind of the same way. If Pentax were to announce a QP, that would become at least an equal choice for next purchase, alongside the KP.
02-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
What exactly dont you understand?

02-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What exactly dont you understand?
I don't understand in what form they are dead.
Do they continue to function? If not, why do you still possess them?

My Q-7 most certainly is not dead. I use it less for wildlife than I had anticipated, but I'm not sure whether that means the adapted lenses are more bother than I had anticipated or whether it means that the K-30 has worked out better than I had anticipated. Its getting less use in that function is balanced out by its getting more use as the camera that I carry around with me.

In fact, I was musing about this. I certainly don't expect this, but if Pentax were to surprise us at CP+ with two MILCs, a K-mount based on the KP and a Q-mount with KP-based noise reduction, both cameras having an EVF of course, what would I do? I wouldn't have sufficient funds for both. I think the QP would go to the top of my list and the actual KP {currently at the top} would go to third place behind the K-mount MILC.

In other words, I am disappointed by Pentax's lack of vision concerning the Q-line, but I don't feel betrayed either.

added: Applying this to the original topic of this thread, I believe if I were the user of an NX, and were happy with it, I would joyfully greet the new camera. I understand how Samsung might have had to put all of their effort into keeping up with Apple, but I would be glad that they had remembered me.

Last edited by reh321; 02-16-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add comments about NX
02-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't understand in what form they are dead.
Yes, mine are well and truly alive and both systems get used when its appropriate....However,many just refer to them being dead systems because theres no visible support.Maybe i should have classed them as MIA(missing in action)!..ha ha

Q7 is the best TC for adapted lenses and natives do great too.Theres been Magazine covers done with it.

if Pentax were to surprise us at CP+ with two MILCs
I like surprises and RI do a few, but,those 2 are highly unlikely.Its likely the updated K-1 and DFA50,maybe another lens but 2 more would be a great surpise!(35 and 85).
Samsung might have had to put all of their effort into keeping up with Apple
Of late,i think its other way round....Samsung was first out with the exploding battery and the incendiary washing machine!
02-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #22
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I think Samsung NX sell only in South Korean. They stop sell to USA and other country.
It could be found in even in household electronics stores in Russia. And even in smart phones stores as additional good to sale.

02-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It could be found in even in household electronics stores in Russia. And even in smart phones stores as additional good to sale.
If that's still the case, presumably they're just selling off remaining stocks to a willing regional market. Maybe this explains why they're still popular over there... people don't think they've stopped manufacturing the cameras and lenses? Having said that, I don't see anything on Samsung's Russian website relating to the NX camera products... and you'd think that would put a lot of people off...
02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
But our market was not bad for Samsung...Of course, there are no any cameras or lenses right now.

Wrong way

Here it is
http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/SAMSUNGCAMERA/web/sub/sub_nx.html

http://www.samsung.com/ru/support/model/EV-NX3000BEIRU
02-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But our market was not bad for Samsung...Of course, there are no any cameras or lenses right now.

Wrong way

Here it is
NX Camera

NX3000 (20-50 mm, Flash) | Samsung RU
Actually, I think Samsung did pretty well here in the UK too... Initially with compacts, but then mirrorless. Not any more, unfortunately...
02-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Short answer: no.
02-20-2018, 02:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

NX is an odd one.
It was the first apsc milc with EVF.
Nice build, nice lenses, reputable brand name.
It even had the marketing power of Samsung.

Somehow Sony with a much poorer NEX system beat them.
Was it lens adaptability (esp for M mount RF lenses)? High ISO noise?
Puzzles me till this day.
02-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Yes,but what happened,Samsung bought out the NX1 and ran the "ditch the Dslr" campaign,it didnt work.They were in the perfect position to see the Smartphone shrink the compact camera class.The $$$$ that went into development and promotion didnt justify the return,so the execs just STOPed it.Such a shame,the quality was as good or better than most and the tech is still reasonably relevant right now.In my dreams, i had hoped RI may somehow pick it up.

NX2..???? i have to be sceptical!
02-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
NX is an odd one.
It was the first apsc milc with EVF.

Somehow Sony with a much poorer NEX system beat them.
Was it lens adaptability (esp for M mount RF lenses)? High ISO noise?
Puzzles me till this day.
I have the NX10... I've only owned it for a few months. Nice little camera, however there's a couple of obvious (to me) downsides. Firstly, the EVF has a narrow dynamic range - nothing remotely similar to the sensor, and that makes judging areas of light and dark in a scene visually rather difficult. It's fine for framing, but not much else, and I don't find it enjoyable. Secondly, image noise at low ISO... There's a surprising amount of it even at ISO 100. Interestingly, ISO 200 is hardly any different, and I suspect the base ISO of the sensor is 200. Straight-out-of-camera JPEGs at ISO 100 are noise free, though robbed of fine detail... but RAW files require noise reduction at any ISO except for small reproduction.

Of course, the NX10 is an old camera, released in early 2010, but even so I found the image quality to be... "meh". Compared to the earlier and lower-resolution CCD sensor models like the GX-10, it's lacking.

I have no doubt that later and higher-up-the-range NX models were much better. The reviews would seem to support this.
02-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems unlikely. It isn't that NX users didn't like the gear it is that Samsung didn't hang in there when the going was a little tougher than they thought it would be. I think it would be tougher going for Samsung to relaunch an ILC line now than it was for them just starting fresh.