Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since there was once a Pentax / Samsung partnership - I wonder if they could license the tech rather than sell it. It would be an interesting way to grow a segment of the market Pentax is not in - but it seems rather unlikely since there is not any spare bandwidth in the Pentax fold and the Samsung folks have mothballed this.

Personally while I like Mirrorless (I own some m43 gear) I don't think it is essential to any of the traditional photography companies. Sony scares Nikon and Canon because they have a major sensor advantage and they have such deep expertise in consumer electronics. They have leveraged that combination in ways that Nikon and Canon would not ever have thought of. Creating a mirrorless line doesn't come with instant innovation. I don't think Canon and Nikon are going to see a massive uplift from developing these lines - time will tell.
When many of us first started in photography it was a mechanical and chemical processing medium. Digital has changed most of that. The mechanical is still here but even much of that is now digital (focus by wire etc). We do well to think of our cameras as small computers with attached optical A/D sensor. Companies skilled with computer development should do well. those who are not able to leverage those skills may struggle.

07-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
When many of us first started in photography it was a mechanical and chemical processing medium. Digital has changed most of that. The mechanical is still here but even much of that is now digital (focus by wire etc). We do well to think of our cameras as small computers with attached optical A/D sensor. Companies skilled with computer development should do well. those who are not able to leverage those skills may struggle.
I agree. I think some of these companies need to be looking for lean startups in the imaging space and looking at how they could push the boundaries of what a camera does. The problem is largely that most of these focus on smartphones.
07-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Since there was once a Pentax / Samsung partnership - I wonder if they could license the tech rather than sell it. It would be an interesting way to grow a segment of the market Pentax is not in - but it seems rather unlikely since there is not any spare bandwidth in the Pentax fold and the Samsung folks have mothballed this.

Personally while I like Mirrorless (I own some m43 gear) I don't think it is essential to any of the traditional photography companies.
Personally, I'd much rather see Pentax revive the "Q" family, perhaps using sensors and software developed by Samsung for their Galaxy phones - but even if they could purchase sensors and software from Samsung, I doubt Pentax has the resources needed to complete the project while still continuing on with their K-mount projects.
07-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. I think some of these companies need to be looking for lean startups in the imaging space and looking at how they could push the boundaries of what a camera does. The problem is largely that most of these focus on smartphones.
They need to find ways to leapfrog the phone advantage of convenient availability.

07-10-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Personally, I'd much rather see Pentax revive the "Q" family, perhaps using sensors and software developed by Samsung for their Galaxy phones - but even if they could purchase sensors and software from Samsung, I doubt Pentax has the resources needed to complete the project while still continuing on with their K-mount projects.
I can see this - 20mp seems well within reason from what I see in the phones. But ultimately it has to just crush the competing options like the Sony RX100 and the superzoom compact cameras like the Nikon P1000 just announced.
07-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
it's almost as crazy as waiting for Pentax'
Full frame primes!
07-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I agree with UncleVanya. I think pentax/samsung licensing or even joint venture could be a very interesting symbiotic relationship.

I'm waiting for a company to make the final leap into merging computers and cameras. So far it's either been Cameras with come computer bits glued on or computers (I'm classifying smartphones as computers) with camera bits glued on. But the half of it was clearly an after thought or otherwise comprised for the other.

Imagine if Pentax could license camera and computer tech from samsung. Smart phones are crazy powerful and power efficient. Imagine a dslr/mirrorless with the responsiveness and customization of a smartphone, 64-256GB of internal storage that's 6x faster than an SD card (UFS2.1 vs UHS-II); no more worries of sd card failure (or forgotten at home/hotel); Has more buffer depth than a sony A9 (more ram); robust wi-fi/bluetooth/gps (SoC). A image processing engine powered by an actual gpu.

EDIT: I should say internal storage would compliment an SD card, not replace. It could easily be used to do the initial buffer clear then slowly write to the SD card.

Pentax could get access to lots of tech that no other ILC manufacture has tried using in their ILC products.
Samsung gets money and could develop tech for pentax (and gain experience) that could be later use in their smartphones in their competition with apple.

07-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #68
Pentaxian

I don't think Canon and Nikon are going to see a massive uplift from developing these lines - time will tell.
Yes,thats probably correct unless CaNik bring something revolutionary with their M/L.Both are on the defensive by going FF mirrorless,they have seen $$$ony take "their" users,so they have to reply by competing in the same genre.Its a move to retain customers rather than attract new ones.Both have M/L lines.

I suspect they have suspended the NX line simply because they don't have the resources to pursue it right now
Samsung put lots of time and $$$ into developing the NX then did the "Drop the Dslr" adverting campaign to promote NX1 and NX500.The sales didnt come.Samsung look at the bottom line in all their divisions,the phone division was boosted when the camera division people were sent there.Sammy expected overnight success but camera users of high end gear are picky,other traditional producers hold that advantage.

---------- Post added 07-11-18 at 08:52 AM ----------

the Nikon P1000 just announced.
I cant see anything coming and crushing that beast,it adresses all shortcomings of the previous class leading model.IF it was WR it would be the ultimate P&S.
07-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Are you folks talking about the kind of Pentax-Samsung collaboration in which Pentax does all the work, and Samsung stabs them in the back?
Because given Samsung's track record, that's the only way they know...

(Samsung NX is dead. Let it rest.)
07-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #70
Pentaxian

another thread I need to unsubscribe from
07-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I cant see anything coming and crushing that beast, it addressees all shortcomings of the previous class leading model.
Perhaps, but after what happened with the Canon SX-60, we should probably see a few in action before making such a grandiose claim.
07-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
IF it was WR it would be the ultimate P&S.
Being the ultimate in a moribund class is not much of an accomplishment .... unless it can also revive that class.
07-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #73
Pentaxian

we should probably see a few in action before making such a grandiose claim.
I have

the ultimate in a moribund class is not much of an accomplishment
Only for the Judge mental.

Last edited by surfar; 07-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.
07-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems extremely unlikely. Samsung has resources to devote to cameras if they want to -- they are every bit as big as Sony -- the thing is that starting and stopping and then starting again is definitely not going to work. How many people left Canon when they went from the FD to EOS mounts? When photographers feel like a company isn't committed, even if the company makes nice gear, photographers won't buy into it.
07-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Samsung has resources to devote to cameras if they want to
Of course they have but they closed their P/S and ILC operations,i thought and still do that their photographic equipment on all levels was/is very good(i havent sold any).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
even if the company makes nice gear, photographers won't buy into it.
Yes, unless you buy in like $$$ony did with Minolta.