Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Right, I didn't mention their earlier SLRs as it was a long time ago.
I didn't knew about Rollei, thanks. 4 years, that was quick... maybe they were training at quitting?

02-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Before that, they gave up on their SLR: Samsung Kenox GX-1 / SR-4000 (1997-?). The GX-1 (in Korea) / SR-4000 (on export markets) had three dedicated lenses:

- 50mm f/1,4
- 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5
- 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6

And they bought Rollei from Heinrich Mandermann (then owner of Schneider Kreuznach, Beroflex, Praktica and Exakta, hence the relations between Samsung and Schneider Kreuznach) in 1995 and sold it in 1999.
Fascinating. I didn't even know they'd produced an SLR...

So that's three separate occasions they've abandoned good, solid camera platforms. It's such a shame... I can't comment on the SLR, but the DSLRs were very good - I have the GX-1L and two GX-10's, and they're just as good as their Pentax counterparts. And the mirrorless cameras - especially the later models - were great... the NX-1 particularly so, based on the reviews.

Given the history, maybe they can re-enter the market and convince people to buy a new camera. I couldn't have much faith in them, I'm afraid...
02-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #48
Pentaxian

The Samsung Kenox GX-1 / SR-4000 came too late. Imagine, a manual focus camera in 1997...

The lens mount is a specific one. The lenses are either labelled Samsung or Schneider Kreuznach. Both versions are identical apart from the label.
02-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SLoooooooow Mo feature of S9

well phones get better and better for capturing stills and video
https://www.channelnews.com.au/mwc-the-inside-is-what-has-changed-with-the-n...y-the-camera/:)

03-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I, for one, will follow this one one. I bought a Samsung NX100 last year and I really like it. Paid $100 for it. It was going to be this little backup camera I can carry around in my laptop bag or keep in the glove box of my car. They do say that the best camera is the one you have with you. Everybody has a phone with a camera these days. They work pretty well but I wanted something better.

The NX100 turned out to be the little camera that could. For the most part you can leave it on auto (exposure, focus, ISO, everything) and it will cope. You have to allow for a bit of shutter lag, but apart from that you can just point and shoot away. The lack of a viewfinder isn't the deal breaker I imagined. They did make one, maybe I should get one. I am already thinking about getting the 50-200mm lens for it.

If Samsung were to revive the NX eco system, I would be very happy. The system deserves better than to wither on the vine as it does now. IMHO, Pentax should do something similar. The Q is pretty good but that tiny sensor just doesn't do it for me.
03-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Pentax should do something similar. The Q is pretty good but that tiny sensor just doesn't do it for me.
Up to ISO 400, my Q-7 has been a wonderful camera for me, allowing me to take quality pictures but silent {that leaf shutter is really quiet} at times I would have to depend on my smart phone otherwise. The Q system deserves better than to wither on the vine as it does now
07-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Is this real?

07-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Is this real?
It looks like an amateur-made video... all shots of the NX1... my guess would be, no - just wishful thinking
07-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Thats what i thought,but theres some talk amongst a few reviewers...so never say never.Rumours come and go but the truth always gets twisted to a certain extent(just ask any polititian!)
07-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats what i thought,but theres some talk amongst a few reviewers...so never say never.Rumours come and go but the truth always gets twisted to a certain extent(just ask any polititian!)
Absolutely, never say never... And I've been wrong before (no, really, I have ). I remember confidently predicting that the Sony A99 MkII was dead in the water, that it would never be released...
07-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Samsung NX2 - YouTube

Is this real?
Obviously not.

Even today, people are still hoping for a Samsung NX revival? Come on... it's almost as crazy as waiting for Pentax' death!
07-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Obviously not.

Even today, people are still hoping for a Samsung NX revival? Come on... it's almost as crazy as waiting for Pentax' death!
I like your analogy.
07-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #58
Veteran Member

If we're talking crazy, how about pentax buying the NX line from samsung
07-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
If we're talking crazy, how about pentax buying the NX line from samsung
I doubt Samsung is interested in selling. I suspect they have suspended the NX line simply because they don't have the resources to pursue it right now - they need everything they have to compete with Apple right now .... but they are progressing in their small-sensor technology with each generation of Galaxy. They may have plans to eventually turn back to the NX line and use what they have developed in phones. {or even to turn the NX line into a line of large, unconventional, phones with completely different mission}.
07-10-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I doubt Samsung is interested in selling. I suspect they have suspended the NX line simply because they don't have the resources to pursue it right now - they need everything they have to compete with Apple right now .... but they are progressing in their small-sensor technology with each generation of Galaxy. They may have plans to eventually turn back to the NX line and use what they have developed in phones. {or even to turn the NX line into a line of large, unconventional, phones with completely different mission}.
Since there was once a Pentax / Samsung partnership - I wonder if they could license the tech rather than sell it. It would be an interesting way to grow a segment of the market Pentax is not in - but it seems rather unlikely since there is not any spare bandwidth in the Pentax fold and the Samsung folks have mothballed this.

Personally while I like Mirrorless (I own some m43 gear) I don't think it is essential to any of the traditional photography companies. Sony scares Nikon and Canon because they have a major sensor advantage and they have such deep expertise in consumer electronics. They have leveraged that combination in ways that Nikon and Canon would not ever have thought of. Creating a mirrorless line doesn't come with instant innovation. I don't think Canon and Nikon are going to see a massive uplift from developing these lines - time will tell.