Samsung NX2 - is it real?

Samsung NX2 Prototype Exist - 30MP DPAF, 4K at 120FPS and more... « NEW CAMERA

rather innovative camera...maybe NX system just had a break

02-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Samsung NX2 - is it real?
Whether it is or isn't, no-one with any sense would trust Samsung again after it left the camera market once already. For those who didn't already dump their Samsung gear, such a camera might prolong the useful life of some owners' lenses... but I can't see it winning many new customers, however good the rumoured specifications might be...
02-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whether it is or isn't, no-one with any sense would trust Samsung again after it left the camera market once already. For those who didn't already dump their Samsung gear, such a camera might prolong the useful life of some owners' lenses... but I can't see it winning many new customers, however good the rumoured specifications might be...
I doubt...Samsung is very popular in Russia, for example and there are rather solid community of NX users. The people still use NX and no any official statement about the withdraw from business.

The last camera is not older than K-3II.

By the way, they produced 18 cameras from 2010 till 2015 year.
02-16-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I doubt...Samsung is very popular in Russia, for example and there are rather solid community of NX users. The people still use NX and no any official statement about the withdraw from business.

The last camera is not older than K-3II.

By the way, they produced 18 cameras from 2010 till 2015 year.
Yeah, I'm aware of how prolific their production was (huge company, huge budget, huge design / development / manufacturing resources, mass marketing etc. etc.), and also aware that there were a couple of places where Samsung didn't officially announce their pull-out. But regardless of that, they stopped production and ceased ongoing support outside of warranty obligations. How big a market is Russia compared to the wider world of disgruntled Samsung NX owners? Not big enough, I'd suggest.

I actually liked Samsung's gear. The NX1 was genuinely impressive, and the NX2 prototype looks excellent. Even if it makes it to market, though, with those specifications it won't be cheap. If existing Samsung owners feel comfortable putting significant money into a system that - for most of the world - was halted once already, I'd understand their motivation and wish them lots of luck. But Samsung will have a monumental and lengthy task on its hands to regain all the trust and loyalty it lost the first time around. I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't even wish the company well in its endeavours, based on the previous pull-out...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-16-2018 at 07:26 AM.
02-16-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah Samsung just Alienated all of their customers only to come back with a single Camera. They could still be competitive with the NX-1 and NX-500. They could even have brought out newer models already. They could have brought out lenses. But they didn't. What they could do is totally wipe out socionext if they would bring the Exynos 9810 SoC to Pentax, Nikon and Fuji. It would be several generations more modern.
02-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
What they could do is totally wipe out socionext if they would bring the Exynos 9810 SoC to Pentax, Nikon and Fuji. It would be several generations more modern.
Now that would be interesting...
02-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wonder if samsung is simply doing a showcase of their technology in an attempt to get some other camera manufacture to license (or out right by) the patents. I vaguely remember a rumor a while ago about nikon buying samsung's nx tech.

02-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those of you who might be looking at a foray into mirrorless, with its fine focus evf magnification and adaptability to all mounts, s/h samsungs can be bargains. I paid in total less than £150 for my NX20 all in with extra batttery, remote cable etc. as a very worth while upgrade to my lumix G1
02-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
KDD
Veteran Member

I think Samsung NX sell only in South Korean. They stop sell to USA and other country.
02-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
for my NX20
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
s/h samsungs can be bargains
Try and get a bargain on the 28mp models?

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah Samsung just Alienated all of their customers
They didn't....try and buy a NX1 or NX500,those customers arent selling!

I actually liked Samsung's gear. The NX1 was genuinely impressive
And still is...rare as hens teeth if ya want to buy.

ceased ongoing support outside of warranty obligations.
Firmware updates were still on their website last time i looked.
02-16-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They didn't....try and buy a NX1 or NX500,those customers arent selling!
Respectfully, I disagree - they certainly did alienate their customers (or a lot of them, at least). Just imagine the fuss that would ensue if Ricoh Imaging announced it was pulling out of the photography market... Blood would be spilled The same would be true if Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic did that.

I can't blame people for hanging onto their NX1s and NX500s, especially if they have an investment in glass. Great cameras, and those proprietary mount lenses were good - nor were they weren't cheap. It's a pity they stopped making them.

Firmware updates were still on their website last time i looked.
Until recently, they still had the firmware update for the GX-10... Doesn't mean they were supporting it outside of warranty, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-16-2018 at 02:37 PM.
02-16-2018, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Respectfully, I disagree - they certainly did alienate their customers (or a lot of them, at least)
I respectfully disagreee with your disagreement,ha ha

My post was about "ALL" customers...whether a lot or a few were alieniated neither of us will know.There are a certain amount of 20mp bodies on the 2nd hand market BUT Sammy sold the production run of the NX1 and NX500(28mp)...try and find a new one?(ok,there will be a few,ya dont have to point them out)...Used models are commanding high prices,IF IF IF, you can find any.

So, the non news(nothing official) of Sammy finishing with ILCs is just that...only insiders know.SAME as Pentax Q series(so ive got 2 dead systems without a funeral yet!)

Compact Sammy cameras were announced as ceased production and the Indian plant was closed,i'm suspecting the ILCs werent produced there???

When the NX1 first came about,the marketing was "Ditch your SLR"....it didnt quite work, even though the camera was/is a great device.Sammy pushed hard at Dslr shooters who had been longtime traditional camera company users,a hard market to penetrate.Being a huge Co with multiple divisions,the costs didnt justify more production...

So right now, Fuji are rumoured to be having a slightly less than 30mp sensor in the upcoming XT3...theres no Sony sensor like that that i know of?....The plot thickens!

Last edited by surfar; 02-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
02-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I respectfully disagreee with your disagreement,ha ha
With respect, I... oh, never mind

My post was about "ALL" customers...whether a lot or a few were alieniated neither of us will know.
You're right, of course. I'm making assumptions... But I'll say again, imagine if Ricoh/Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji or Panasonic just stopped manufacturing and selling cameras and lenses. There would be hell to pay... the users of those systems would be up in arms. Disgusted wouldn't be a strong enough word. Maybe Samsung ILC users are a more forgiving lot, but I've a sneaking suspicion they're much like the rest of us.

So, the non news(nothing official) of Sammy finishing with ILCs is just that...only insiders know.
They stopped supplying cameras and lenses to distributors, and took down the photography equipment sections on their national websites (the only mention of "camera" is in relation to smartphones). It's impossible to buy a new Samsung camera from any UK supplier, while the few remaining lenses (thee different models) only seem to be available through Amazon. Short of an official statement, I'd say that demonstrates they pulled out of ILCs.

SAME as Pentax Q series(so ive got 2 dead systems without a funeral yet!)
Re the Q series, I agree (respectfully ). Pentax has got away with it to some extent because they've stayed in the photography market with other products. But most of us have assumed the system is dead.

Hey, I bought into A-mount by choice *after* everyone assumed - more or less accurately - that it was dead. And Hasselblad had entirely washed its hands of the Sony-based cameras like my HV (my gain, as I wouldn't have been able to afford one otherwise ). Sony's release of the A99 MkII could be seen as quite cynical, as they've announced no new A-mount lenses. All they're doing is supporting existing A-mount owners who invested in the glass. Some people have bought it, though, and I guess that shows there will be people prepared to buy cameras from those companies that have left their users in the wilderness. But not many, I'd guess. Sony has all its other gear to profit from, so it could afford to do the A99 MkII almost as a loss leader. Whether Samsung could pull off the same thing - having withdrawn production and sales of all photography products - is another matter...
02-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I first saw this NX2 stuff over a week ago...i was sceptical....still am, but i'll use Sammy cameras till they die...or i do!

Edit, pentax too...lets hope they dont die?
02-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

i'll use Sammy cameras till they die...or i do!
I completely understand why... Great cameras, great lenses - no doubt about it.

I feel the same about my A-mount and Q-mount gear. And if I'm being honest, I suppose there's a *tiny* bit of me, hidden at the back of my cluttered mind, that secretly hopes in vain for a resurgence in those mounts (even though I know in my heart it would and could never happen). I comfort myself with the knowledge that I have the glass I want, and the cameras themselves should (touch wood) last a good few years yet Having said that, every time I switch on my original Q, I brace myself for the dreaded "Set date and time" prompt... seems they all eventually die the same way, with the backup battery going. So far, though, all good...

I don't even want to think about Pentax dying. I don't think it'll happen, but if it does, I've got a stash of slowly ageing bodies. The last of those should outlast me