Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe reach out to @heie and ask him privately as he switched to d750 gear. I'm personally too long out of Nikki n to offer meaningful opinions about lenses other than the main Nikon holy Trinity and even that is all hearsay and review reading.

I'm sorry people are snide about this. The 24-70 seems like a good start. As someone else mentioned primes won't always be stabilized if that matters to you. Buying a stabilized zoom solves that to a degree.

03-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #32
Banned

I guess Nikon forums really suck or something.

Why do you think we would know?
03-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess Nikon forums really suck or something.
My experience is that nothing holds a candle to this one. I've popped over to the Nikon forums at times they are ok, but they aren't as amazing as here.
03-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My experience is that nothing holds a candle to this one. I've popped over to the Nikon forums at times they are ok, but they aren't as amazing as here.
The issue being, if you asked the same question about Pentax gear you'd have a host of answers. We'd need to know a bit more about his circumstances, all we know is he wants better AF than Pentax offers. But apart from that, we don't even know what his Pentax lenses were or what body he shot.

If he asked the same question about a K-1 there would be at least six or seven different takes on the question. There must be a place where people are more versed in Nikon gear than we are.

But from my perspective he's going at this backwards " Find the lens you love, buy the body it goes on." From my perspective he should have found the lenses he wanted before he bought the body.

"These are not the drones you are looking for."

I've heard my Nikon shooting buddies rambling on about gear exactly the way we do here on the forum. There are people who know this stuff. It's just unlikely one would be here.

http://www.amateurnikon.com/2014/11/nikons-fastest-focusing-lens-and-why.html

These kinds of questions always make me curious about stuff...

03-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The issue being, if you asked the same question about Pentax gear you'd have a host of answers. We'd need to know a bit more about his circumstances, all we know is he wants better AF than Pentax offers. But apart from that, we don't even know what his Pentax lenses were or what body he shot.

If he asked the same question about a K-1 there would be at least six or seven different takes on the question. There must be a place where people are more versed in Nikon gear than we are.

But from my perspective he's going at this backwards " Find the lens you love, buy the body it goes on." From my perspective he should have found the lenses he wanted before he bought the body.

"These are not the drones you are looking for."

I've heard my Nikon shooting buddies rambling on about gear exactly the way we do here on the forum. There are people who know this stuff. It's just unlikely one would be here.

You' re not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? Read the signature.

I specified clearly what I want and for what. If you can' t understand the circumstances, sucks for you.
03-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
You' re not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? Read the signature.

I specified clearly what I want and for what. If you can' t understand the circumstances, sucks for you.
Ya, well I rad the part where you are unhappy with Pentax for landscape, where a D850 is out performed by a K-1 with pixel shift and then read you bought a D810.

What I find confusing..

You need AF for landscape? I can shoot landscape just as effectively with an MF lens.

Careful who you call "not the sharpest tool in the shed." It may just be that their thinking is way ahead of yours.

Forgive me for not reading your signature. People put all kinds of nonsense in their signatures. I don't read them. And I'm not changing that for you. If you want help, put the necessary information in the post body.

Snarkyness aside, looking at your lens list, only a long time Nikon user is going to be able to help you out here. You are using some very old Pentax glass. You want faster focusing but you don't own any of the faster focussing glass from Pentax. What's the Nikon equivalent of an FA 35-70? You have to be a real Nikon old timer to know that.

Last edited by normhead; 03-21-2018 at 07:59 AM.
03-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, let's keep this friendly, please. Any further provocation and responses in kind will result in thread bans and infractions.

Thank you
03-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I apologize if my comment came across in a snarky way, but honestly, lenses that aren't K mount aren't my strong point. I think all of us here are probably more than a little Pentax-centric. That doesn't mean that the D850 isn't a good camera -- it is -- just that I'm not as familiar with that ecosystem.

03-21-2018, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

k1 is overpriced for what it can do

Also...

k1 is overpriced for what it can do...(asides from the statics subjects shooters)... [[and I primarily shoot]]...Landscape, city and portraiture.

Furthermore...

(1) Less Flash sync and (2a) AF speed/ (2b) accuracy? No.
(1) The K-1's 1/200s is ONE THIRD OF A STOP slower than the D810's mighty 1/250s. I have ALWAYS said that I wish Pentax would have made the K-1's sync at least 1/250s, better yet 1/320s. Not because it's significantly faster (neither are....1/2 stop at best with 1/320s), but because it would prevent complaints about negligible differences that in the real world are of zero consequence to using flash outside or freezing action

(2a) AF speed is a bit slower, especially with dedicated sports lenses, although Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, etc. all make lenses that are slower than Pentax's best. The Nikon 105 1.4, considered by some one of the greatest portrait lenses ever, is not a whole lot faster than the DA* 55 to autofocus, which is certainly known for being leisurely in that regard.

(2b) The difference in AF accuracy is negligible, and In fact, in independent testing, Pentax often is given the edge against its Nikon competitors (K-3 vs D7200, K-1 vs D810, etc.) in AF-S and low-light AF. Once it turns to AF-C for tracking, yes that changes, and Nikon has the edge. But just AF-S single acquisition accuracy? Nonsense. ESPECIALLY the D810. AND FOR LANDSCAPES AND CITIES

And also....

As a side story, I would also need some advice for the Sony Alfa 7Rii. Is there something UWA that doesn' t distort (1) (Rokinon maybe) ? If so, what model (Google doesn' t give me any precise answers, only question threads) . Maybe a combination (2) with an adapter (3) (would be nice to have F- stop confirmation and focal length)
So you sold your K-1, replaced it with a D810, and are looking at a Sony FF as well for use with an ultra wide angle manual prime? One that you'd have all those features you're looking for inherently with the K-1 that has (1) Rokinon's (and Irix...and Loawa/Venus) lens lineup natively, (2) no need for an adapter, and (3) have electronic contacts for aperture and user-inputted focal lengths upon start-up...?

-Heie

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-21-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
Closed Thread