Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
D810 lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I switched to the D810 (yeah yeah, tears of joy and sorrow) . Not that my photo talent and needs are `up there` , but that I made simple math, and with 3 lenses and a body I should get by. So, sold my crop system (on going) and bought a D810 (before the sell; see how intelligent I am? )
Anyway, what lenses should I purchase?

Landscape, city and portraiture.

28 mm f2.0 was recommended to me for landscapes
24- 70 Nikkor is pretty expensive, so I am looking at the Tamron; This creates a conflict, as it makes me wonder if I should just buy a 50 mm for the street and 85 for portraits.

Suggestions, and help? Please? Budget is as minimum as possible, but can be upped slowly (monthly savings) .

Thank you!

02-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you had gotten a K-1 I could have told you what to get, but with a Nikon....
02-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
If you had gotten a K-1 I could have told you what to get, but with a Nikon....

Hello,

Guess that' s why I am posting in the `Non Pentax` thread... Anyway, k1 is overpriced for what it can do (in my opinion, and many others- asides from the statics subjects shooters) . Oh well, maybe I' ll buy the K2, K4 or whatever they will name it (if they switch mounts for a mirrorles) .

Thanks anyway!
02-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Anyway, k1 is overpriced for what it can do
So you get a D810 which can do less than a K-1 and is way more expensive.

Btw this forum has a sister forum: https://www.nikonforums.com/forums/ Maybe ask your question there.

02-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
So you get a D810 which can do less than a K-1 and is way more expensive.

Btw this forum has a sister forum: Nikon Forums - Community Home Maybe ask your question there.

Depends of the `less` . Less IQ by 1- 2 % compared to a newer camera that had time to be polished? Yes, absolutely; my building sized prints will have to suffer, bummer. Less Flash sync and AF speed/ accuracy? No.

As I said, it depends on the needs, but let' s not get into subjective needs, cause it will lead us both (or others if they want to join this) nowhere.

About the site, maybe I will, but am too lazy to make a new account.

Thanks for your input though!
02-26-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends of the `less` . Less IQ by 1- 2 % compared to a newer camera that had time to be polished? Yes, absolutely; my building sized prints will have to suffer, bummer. Less Flash sync and AF speed/ accuracy? No.

As I said, it depends on the needs, but let' s not get into subjective needs, cause it will lead us both (or others if they want to join this) nowhere.

About the site, maybe I will, but am too lazy to make a new account.

Thanks for your input though!
So you haven't thought about lenses but basically bought a K-1 minus the IBIS, wifi, articulating screen, pixel shift, gps and astrotracker?

Anyway, Urssu, perhaps you should just get the 24-70 and be done with it. It's at least image stablilized, the primes aren't if you ever shoot handheld.
02-27-2018, 02:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So you haven't thought about lenses but basically bought a K-1 minus the IBIS, wifi, articulating screen, pixel shift, gps and astrotracker?

Anyway, Urssu, perhaps you should just get the 24-70 and be done with it. It's at least image stablilized, the primes aren't if you ever shoot handheld.

Yeah anyway, basically yes; I don' t have the illusion that more lenses are better. Bought me something with AF and proper flashsync. If I would have been interested in Astro would have bought the D810- A, but here we are.

Yeah, 24- 70 from Tamron keeps popping up, but the G2 (which is not yet to be sold SH) .

Thanks!

02-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hello,

I switched to the D810 (yeah yeah, tears of joy and sorrow) . Not that my photo talent and needs are `up there` , but that I made simple math, and with 3 lenses and a body I should get by. So, sold my crop system (on going) and bought a D810 (before the sell; see how intelligent I am? )
Anyway, what lenses should I purchase?

Landscape, city and portraiture.

28 mm f2.0 was recommended to me for landscapes
24- 70 Nikkor is pretty expensive, so I am looking at the Tamron; This creates a conflict, as it makes me wonder if I should just buy a 50 mm for the street and 85 for portraits.

Suggestions, and help? Please? Budget is as minimum as possible, but can be upped slowly (monthly savings) .

Thank you!
The classic suggestion would be three primes: 24/28mm, 35/50mm, 85/135mm depending on your eye. Second-hand. 28mm, 50mm and 135mm served me well for a long time in the film era.

However, these days many prefer some zooms which are much improved over yesteryear. This set would cover a wide range of possibilities: 24-70mm, 80-200mm but f4 (weight and cost), 50mm. if portraiture is very important to you, however, you might still want a portrait prime like an 85mm. The 50mm would deal with street and low light providing you see at that focal length. Some do, some instead go for a bit wider like a 35mm.

That's want I would do anyway, and in effect is what I have done though on another format.
02-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The classic suggestion would be three primes: 24/28mm, 35/50mm, 85/135mm depending on your eye. Second-hand. 28mm, 50mm and 135mm served me well for a long time in the film era.
Not Pentax, Mecrox, so they won't be image stabilized.
02-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Bought me something with AF
Are you saying the K-1 does not have AF? (that should be clear enough for everybody to understand!).
02-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Are you saying the K-1 does not have AF? (that should be clear enough for everybody to understand!).

I see you are trying. But let' s leave it to whatever makes you content.

Extra info from a few days of browsing the market and reviews.
Looking at:
Tamron 24- 70 ; the G2 is just as expensive as a mint Nikkor 24- 70. What' s better (IQ, AF, Shake reduction and build quality; brand doesn' t do anything to me) ?

Or should I move towards fixed primes:
28, 50, 85?

Thanks for your time and input (everyone) !
02-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Get a 20mm or 18mm in lieu of a 28mm. You want to expose to the right as they say with that camera. If you rely on pulling up those buried low values, you'll get that ugly, brown cast seen so often and is a little more prevalent in this camera. So try to avoid it when possible.
02-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Get a 20mm or 18mm in lieu of a 28mm. You want to expose to the right as they say with that camera. If you rely on pulling up those buried low values, you'll get that ugly, brown cast seen so often and is a little more prevalent in this camera. So try to avoid it when possible.

Hello,

Someone else also suggested to get the Rokinon/ Samyang 18 mm' s. Will give it a look.

Thanks!
02-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma Super-Wide II AF prices for the Nikon mount flavor are pretty affordable on the bay.
Samyang 85mm seems well respected when it's got a k-mount on the back, probably similar for Nikon.
Is the old Tamron 28-75 f2.8 available still for Nikon? It gets some love here.

And with that, I've made honest suggestions of three lenses you could also mount to a... k-1.
03-01-2018, 01:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Sigma Super-Wide II AF prices for the Nikon mount flavor are pretty affordable on the bay.
Samyang 85mm seems well respected when it's got a k-mount on the back, probably similar for Nikon.
Is the old Tamron 28-75 f2.8 available still for Nikon? It gets some love here.

And with that, I've made honest suggestions of three lenses you could also mount to a... k-1.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have the 85 from Samyang K mount. I am keeping it for my film camera.
The Tamron is still on for sale, at half (or less) the 24- 70 1st series (both used) .

Regarding the k1 hints, it' s a Nikon sub- forum. I made my peace, I searched for something that the k1 can' t offer me (and found) , regardless of the other tend to push and shovel.

Thanks again!
Closed Thread