Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just get a 24-70 and shoot with that for awhile and figure out what primes you want. As to Tamron versus Nikon, I have no idea. My guess is that the Nikon is better, but how much better, I wouldn't know.

03-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Have a look in the Full Frame Shots and Thoughts thread. Agree with the idea of a reasonable quality standard zoom as a starter for ten (on any system).
03-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Hello,

I switched to the D810 (yeah yeah, tears of joy and sorrow) . Not that my photo talent and needs are `up there` , but that I made simple math, and with 3 lenses and a body I should get by. So, sold my crop system (on going) and bought a D810 (before the sell; see how intelligent I am? )
Anyway, what lenses should I purchase?

Landscape, city and portraiture.

28 mm f2.0 was recommended to me for landscapes For landscapes I usually use F 8, not F 2.0. I also like a wider lens than 28mm ...24mm or wider....you know to catch the sweeping vistas, etc. Getting an F 2.0 lens I would think would up the price. For landscapes an F 4.0 wide angle would keep you closer to budget and if you don't intend to use F 2.0... .

24- 70 Nikkor is pretty expensive, so I am looking at the Tamron; This creates a conflict, as it makes me wonder if I should just buy a 50 mm for the street and 85 for portraits. As others have said (Rondec), maybe the key is to get a good 24-70...then in one lens you've got wider than 28....50 normal...and @ 70...a usable portrait lens. If you want a prime 50mm lens, maybe think about a Macro 50mm or doesn't Nikon make a 60mm Macro ? That way you get the 'normal' prime focal length and macro...or micro as Nikon used to call it...in addition.

Suggestions, and help? Please? Budget is as minimum as possible, but can be upped slowly (monthly savings) .

Thank you!
I'm no Nikon expert...so my advice regarding Nikon equipment is more about focal length than a recommendation about the quality of Nikon equipment...ie; lenses, etc. I would add though, I know you are on a minimum budget, but my focus if I were you, would be to buy as good a tool as I could afford...might mean used Nikon stuff... (Nikon is known for quality lenses ) within that budget You mentioned that you are willing to up purchase cost slowly...payments ? For new equipment, if your willing to go on the monthly payment system, you could get good, new quality.

As I think others have mentioned, a good idea might be to just get one lens to start with...a 24-70 for instance...try that with your new FF D810... to see what full frame focal lengths you like . Consider whether you want an F 4 or F 2.8 version...as cost is different. As you are coming from an ASP-C body...I would also look at what your favourite lenses were with you cropped lenses...figure out what the focal length equivalent with a full frame lens would be, consider that.

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-20-2018 at 02:21 PM.
03-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

No a good idea to buy the Tamron. has 82mm filter thread, it vignette more or less when adding filters.
Better buy a Nikkor 24-120 f4, 77mm filter thread (more versatile).
Get less lenses, but get the right one(s) that's how to save money, and use the same lens much more.

03-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No a good idea to buy the Tamron. has 82mm filter thread, it vignette more or less when adding filters.
Better buy a Nikkor 24-120 f4, 77mm filter thread (more versatile).
Get less lenses, but get the right one(s) that's how to save money, and use the same lens much more.
But that's buying a premium body and putting a limiting lens on it, BE, it's cancelling each other out, that's a waste of money!
03-20-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

The Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A is very nice on Nikon and a good all rounder. But it is 885g and has a 82mm filter thread, so a bit hefty. Pity it never made it to Pentax.
03-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that's buying a premium body and putting a limiting lens on it, BE, it's cancelling each other out, that's a waste of money!
It's no different of using a DFA28-105 on a K1., and f4 is faster than f5.6

03-20-2018, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's no different of using a DFA28-105 on a K1
But that's my point. You're not using it to get an advantage, you're just 'making do'.

For all the money, your pics with a D810 and some superzoom are not going to be better than say, a K-70 with a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

So we can argue about the aesthetics, but the finance part makes no sense.
03-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Hello,

I switched to the D810 (yeah yeah, tears of joy and sorrow) . Not that my photo talent and needs are `up there` , but that I made simple math, and with 3 lenses and a body I should get by. So, sold my crop system (on going) and bought a D810 (before the sell; see how intelligent I am? )
Anyway, what lenses should I purchase?

Landscape, city and portraiture.

28 mm f2.0 was recommended to me for landscapes
24- 70 Nikkor is pretty expensive, so I am looking at the Tamron; This creates a conflict, as it makes me wonder if I should just buy a 50 mm for the street and 85 for portraits.

Suggestions, and help? Please? Budget is as minimum as possible, but can be upped slowly (monthly savings) .

Thank you!
Reading a lot of the responses you got makes me think this place is the opposite of helpful and friendly.

Sorry you had to deal with all of that.

I'll try to do my best with helping..

The Nikkor 24-70 doesn't have any sort of image stabilization (VR in Nikon terms). I'd go with the Tamron G2 instead as it does. You can also get a dock (called the Tap-in) for the Tamron that allows one to update firmware and perform micro adjustments to the focusing at multiple focal lengths and 3 different distances each. So you can really tune the focus if you want. Can't do that with the Nikkor or any other lenses (minus Sigma which have something similar).

The Sigma 24-105 f/4 might be an option too for you. Depending on if you want the extra stop of aperture over the extra focal length or not.

I use the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 as I wanted something more walkaround-able (that accepted 77mm filters) but the Siggy would have probably been my second option. G2 was my third option but I wanted something longer (at the expense of the speed). For you it seems opposite direction.

I'm not sure on landscape... as the lens you pick will be based on how wide you want to go. The Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 is quite popular. I use a Nikkor 16-35 f/4 but it is a bit pricey. The Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 is also rather popular and closer to that 20mm lens price. All these are rather sharp, reliable lenses. Only the 16-35 f/4 has VR though. That may or may not be an issue for you. If you're shooting on a tripod then obviously it isn't an issue at all.

I also have a Tamron 45 f1.8 for my fast standard lens. It is cheap (around 400 bucks), nicely sharp, and has image stabilization. It also uses the Tap-in dock for fine tuning. Focusing isn't blazing fast but it isn't an issue and its quiet.

They also make a 35 and 85 f/1.8 that are well regarded. But I don't have those (since I prefer zooms most of the time).
03-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I'll try to do my best with helping..

The Nikkor 24-70 doesn't have any sort of image stabilization (VR in Nikon terms).
?

Of course it does.
03-21-2018, 01:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

?

Of course it does.
Depends on version. Newish version like 24-70 f/2.8E ED VR (2015-), yes, older (2007-2015) 24-70 f/2.8G ED, no. Maybe mee had been considering the older version.
03-21-2018, 02:01 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Depends on version.
Obviously the current one, mate.

Urssu's a *very* good photographer, if he's to pick a lens this is the kind that suits.

03-21-2018, 02:23 AM   #28

Original Poster
Obviously the current one, mate.

Urssu's a *very* good photographer, if he's to pick a lens this is the kind that suits.

Hello,

Thank you all for the replies!

@clackers:
Please go into details what' s so `very` ? I was interested in just getting three primes, and am obsessed with getting the most for my money. I understand the versatility of zooms, but found myself going to fixed focal lengths. Main reason being that they were smaller (good for street, backpacking) .

@mee :
yeah, friendly as teenagers that sense something else in their `group of superiority` ; beneath them, of course (not Pentax) .

As a side story, I would also need some advice for the Sony Alfa 7Rii. Is there something UWA that doesn' t distort (Rokinon maybe) ? If so, what model (Google doesn' t give me any precise answers, only question threads) . Maybe a combination with an adapter (would be nice to have F- stop confirmation and focal length) .

Best regards!
03-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
85 f/1.8 that are well regarded
Not by all. Even with it's hood on, it has nasty lens flare at the merest suggestion of incidental light. Seems to have no anti-reflective coatings on any lens surface at all.
03-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

Thom Hogan has a lot of reviews of Nikon lenses, and regularly updates this page with his recommendations.

Thom’s Recommended Lenses for FX Users | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
Closed Thread