Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #151

Photos: Albums
If I compare K1 to A7iii in features that matters the most to me.
A7III has better:
-AF + joystick to choose focus points and facial recognition.
- Better high iso
- faster fps
- lighter
- it's mirrorles

K1 has:
- Better ergonomics and more durable and better sealed body (and lenses).
- more resolution
- all legacy lenses

05-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
If I compare K1 to A7iii in features that matters the most to me.
Well certainly no one can authoritively discuss what matters to you, except you. Thanks for sharing.

But how about some real information?
How often do you use your A7iii and how often do you use your K-1. and what do you use them for?

Last edited by normhead; 05-31-2018 at 10:29 AM.
05-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Heres some real info from a Canon shooter who has adapted his "old" lenses to the A7iii,19minutes.
06-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #154
Pentaxian

I picked up a Sony A7II for the very first time at my local Best Buy & realized how ergonomically bad it is. I guess my hands are too big & I'm so used to the Pentax K-50 & Nikon D7200. My fingers felt squished between the grip & the lens. The body feels really cramped.

Then I moved over a few cameras & picked up a Panasonic G7. Even though it's smaller, it feels much more ergonomically comfortable. Same thing with the Olympus OMD E-M1 & E-M5 II bodies that I have used.

I was considering the A7III as a possible system switch & entry point into the E-mount system if the K-3II replacement turned out to be a dud, but I don't know if I could ever get used to the A7 ergonomics. It seems like they are making leaps & bounds progress in AF, image quality, & video, but ergonomics seems more like an after thought to the Sony designers. The weather sealing issue doesn't really bother me, though.

I guess I'll try out the A7III when they finally put it on display. I have a pretty strong feeling that It's going to feel very similar to the A7II. I tell you that if it's not one thing, it ends up being another. Hahaha!

06-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone has different ergonomic requirements. My hands are on the large side of average, but I’ve always preferred small cameras, be it an MX or 1948 Leica. I use a plain A7 as my “digital LX” for all my old SMC-M lenses, and it meets my needs. I use no native or autofocus lenses, normally meter in spot mode (select the desired spot and lock exposure), and don’t mess with menus. It does a fine job.
I might consider an A7III for the silent mode and high ISO, but can stay happy with the A7.
Now if Pentax came out with a native K mount equivalent, but with aperture sensing and auto diaphragm for the old lenses I'd jump for it, but fat chance!

Last edited by TomB_tx; 06-01-2018 at 06:05 PM.
06-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I picked up a Sony A7II for the very first time at my local Best Buy & realized how ergonomically bad it is. I guess my hands are too big & I'm so used to the Pentax K-50 & Nikon D7200. My fingers felt squished between the grip & the lens. The body feels really cramped.

Then I moved over a few cameras & picked up a Panasonic G7. Even though it's smaller, it feels much more ergonomically comfortable. Same thing with the Olympus OMD E-M1 & E-M5 II bodies that I have used.

I was considering the A7III as a possible system switch & entry point into the E-mount system if the K-3II replacement turned out to be a dud, but I don't know if I could ever get used to the A7 ergonomics. It seems like they are making leaps & bounds progress in AF, image quality, & video, but ergonomics seems more like an after thought to the Sony designers. The weather sealing issue doesn't really bother me, though.

I guess I'll try out the A7III when they finally put it on display. I have a pretty strong feeling that It's going to feel very similar to the A7II. I tell you that if it's not one thing, it ends up being another. Hahaha!
If you don't like the A7II then you won't like any of the new bodies. They are all the same and yes the ergonomics is poor compared to most Pentax cameras. The Sony E-mount is an open standard. Anyone can build a camera that uses the mount. I had hoped Olympus would make a FF E-mount, but it has not happened.
06-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #157
Pentaxian

For the past month, I was lucky to play with the A7iii in different camera stores, bringing my SD card and trying different native glasses.

What I really like in the Sony is their 35/1.4 Zeiss + Sony 85/1.8 for weddings and other pro work, but for personal and travel camera, I would like to have their Sony 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 for being small and WR primes. (I am saying is that the 35/2.8 might not be fast enough for low light in indoors, churches etc. The AF is fast but I do not like the color of the LCD monitor as it has somehow had the magenta cast on it.

In Pentax land, I can opt to get a Pentax 31/1.8 or Sigma 35/1.4 + FA 77/1.8 or FA85/1.4 depending if I would want a small and light lens but the bulk of the camera body will always be there plus there will be no WR in this kind of set up.

It really depends on one's purpose on which camera to take. Or buy what makes you happy.

06-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If you don't like the A7II then you won't like any of the new bodies. They are all the same and yes the ergonomics is poor compared to most Pentax cameras. The Sony E-mount is an open standard. Anyone can build a camera that uses the mount. I had hoped Olympus would make a FF E-mount, but it has not happened.
Can you verbalize what "poor ergonomics" means in this case? Size of body? Location of controls?
06-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #159
Pentaxian

The A7iii has the same grip feel with your K-30.
06-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have same problem
After Pentax body
Also Sony 77 body style they very nice fit in my hand and control very natural
All A7 body I find out body style and control
Less intuitive as Pentax or Sony A mount body
Screen not a problem
Manager in story attach adapter and canon lens
Even I have big hand I find out it’s hard to fit right
I have older big Russian huge zoom Tair
And with Pentax I never had problem
No ? A7 great camera
Just different body style probably need not 2-3 day maybe few weeks to adapt different body style

Look like A mount Sony camera more look like as older Minolta body style I had before and fit very natural .When I more to Pentax long time ago transition was just very easy

Well nothing perfect
Will be nice all new future from A7III and Pentax body style I think will be killer camera
06-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Can you verbalize what "poor ergonomics" means in this case? Size of body? Location of controls?
Poor ergonomics is subjective, but yes. The body is too small. The buttons are as tactile as would like.

As an example. When I hold the A9 with the grip, the lower heel of my hand rests on the shutter release button on the grip. I wear a medium size glove, so my hands are not large. When shooting in landscape, the heel of my hand will press the shutter release on the grip. Sony designed the grip with a lock on it so you can prevent this from happening, but obviously you have to stop to lock and unlock the grip when you switch from portrait to landscape and back again. I have had grips on most of my cameras and I have never had this problem. When I hold my camera up to the light you can see light shinning between the grip and the body. The fit is rather poor and this is not a cheap grip. I have seen Chinese knock off grips selling for 1/2 the price of the Sony grips that fit better. In my opinion, the build quality and ergonomics of Pentax cameras is far superior to that of the A9. The flip side is that the technology and capabilities of the A9 are far superior to anything that Pentax has when it comes to moving subjects. For anyone shooting events when you need fast AF that can nail a sequence of events, Pentax struggles compared to the competition. Silent shooting with no rolling shutter and a black-out free EVF are really nice features.
06-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Got to love that Eye AF
06-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Got to love that Eye AF
It is a huge feature for people who shoot portraits or events. You can focus on composition and let the camera track the subject. There is no need to focus on the eyes to lock focus and recompose. You can work so much faster.
06-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #164
Pentaxian

I had heard so many good things about the Sony A7III that I tried it. And I came to the same conclusion as the one of that youtube review:

---------- Post added 07-06-18 at 22:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Heres some real info from a Canon shooter who has adapted his "old" lenses to the A7iii,19minutes.
Every time he is focusing, the lens is already refocused. I compare the speed of my K1 with DFA28-105, and A7III with 28-70, both lenses de-focused to infinity. The K1 locked focus faster! There is so much BS about Sony superiority, it's completely fake. Fuji is , in real life shooting, so much faster.

---------- Post added 07-06-18 at 22:27 ----------

Sony A7 and A9 series are cameras designed for internet geeks and community fanboys, but in no way Sony A7 and A9 series are make for photographers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-07-2018 at 01:25 PM.
06-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I compare the speed of my K1 with DFA28-105, and A7III with 28-70
Yes, i like my 28-105 which is a $400 kit lens but absolute high quality.The $$$ony kit lens is a throw away,has a poor reputation thats why it costs half as much.When Tamron gets the firmware updates out for the glitches in its FE mount 28-75 f2.8(double the price of the 28-105,but faster) then thats the walk round lens for the A7iii.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is so much BS about Sony superiority, it's completely fake. Fuji is , in real life shooting, so much faster.
My Fuji shoots 14fps with ES,$$$ony can do 20.Is that fake?$$$ony are releasing their new compact stacked sensor model very soon,24fps go over to that thread and watch the speed.