Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #166

Photos: Albums
To biz-engineer.
The videos that you posted are from "The Angry Photographer" a known Fuji fanboi and Sony hater.
Most of his opinions are based on poor analysis , half truths and even lies. Except for his fellow Sony haters he is considered a joke.He has even been threatened with legal action following false information he stated about a Sony professional photographer.
You Tube is full of video reviews of the Sony A7iii from highly regarded sources and almost all agree that for the price it is a great full frame camera, and compares very well against much more expensive offerings .

06-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
The videos that you posted are from "The Angry Photographer" a known Fuji fanboi and Sony hater.
Except that I rented a Sony A7III system and objectively, I agree with what "The Angry Photographer" says in his review. I borrow or rent cameras to use them for real, so that I can appreciate the differences side by side. To me it seems that the merits of Sony mirrorless system is oversold (hype), while other systems are undersold.

---------- Post added 08-06-18 at 05:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
When Tamron FE mount 28-75 f2.8
Tamron are rolling out good stuff these days... that's a bit of an issue if Ricoh Imaging continues to drag their lens roadmap forward in the future.
06-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Most of his opinions are based on poor analysis , half truths and even lies
Most?...certainly some,,but most are factual assessments.

I was a subscriber to his channel but ditched him after the JL episode.

You Tube is full of video reviews of the Sony A7iii from highly regarded sources and almost all agree that for the price it is a great full frame camera, and compares very well against much more expensive offerings .
Yes, and buyers buy it for the positive features which there are many.They dont include Menu/Ergonomics/toughness/weathersealling/cost of the GOOD glass.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 04:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Except that I rented a Sony A7III system and objectively, I agree with what "The Angry Photographer" says in his review.
Ken tested his copy with the 24-70 gmaster F2.8,a U$2200 lens(i think). which lenses did you test yours with?The 24-105 f4 is highly acclaimed as the native walk around(U$1300).

Testing any camera with a slow motored lens is not a good assessment,"Angry" said the Gmaster 24/70 was not so good.He is the first Ive heard to say that?Perhaps it wasnt a good copy??

KW isnt just a Fuji FANBOY, he gets given his gear.Ive seen him admit it, but he can dismiss $$$ony ambassadors as "sell outs" because they switched out of Nikon to $$$ony.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 05:00 PM ----------

Tamron are rolling out good stuff these days...
Yes, it was a surprise to see them have an issue.That 28-75 f2.8 is very good when it was working properly.Definitely a good way to start the FE lens cattledog.

Third party support for FE comes from Tamron/Sigma/Rokinon/Tokina with AF and a host of others with MF.Possibly the Pentax design 50mm f1.4 Tokina may come in FE mount?
06-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody know how to limit the focusing area of the Eye AF.
Depending on the situation I would like to limit the coverage area so it doesnt "wonder" off.
I have tried all the other focusing area and it doesnt seem to limit it. Any ideas?

06-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have eye autofocus programmed on my lens button. Have you tried that? Seems to work pretty good for me and stays put where I want it
06-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Anybody know how to limit the focusing area of the Eye AF.
Depending on the situation I would like to limit the coverage area so it doesnt "wonder" off.
I have tried all the other focusing area and it doesnt seem to limit it. Any ideas?
I'd assume that you could limit it with the normal Focus Area option.

---------- Post added 06-26-2018 at 09:53 PM ----------

I had heard so many good things about the Sony A7III that I tried it. And I came to the same conclusion as the one of that youtube review:
?SONY A7III FULL REVIEW. Part 1 - YouTube
?SONY A7III FULL REVIEW. Part 2 - YouTube

---------- Post added 07-06-18 at 22:23 ----------

Every time he is focusing, the lens is already refocused. I compare the speed of my K1 with DFA28-105, and A7III with 28-70, both lenses de-focused to infinity. The K1 locked focus faster! There is so much BS about Sony superiority, it's completely fake. Fuji is , in real life shooting, so much faster.

---------- Post added 07-06-18 at 22:27 ----------

Sony A7 and A9 series are cameras designed for internet geeks and community fanboys, but in no way Sony A7 and A9 series are make for photographers.
Except that lots of photographers own and love them. I just bought the A7iii and really like it. It meets a lot of my needs that weren't met by my last camera and I've been able to capture a lot of images that were impossible before. If you don't like it, that's cool. Other people do, and I'm among them.

Someone else mentioned ergonomics earlier. I have larger hands and both the K3ii and the K1 felt good to me. The A7iii felt really small and awkward when I first got it. But now that I've had it about a month, I went in to test out some lenses and the FF Dslrs that I picked up (d750 & d850) seemed massive to me. I've adapted. The A7iii feels fine now. I'm sure the d850 would grow on me too.
06-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Upon some basic test it seems you can not limit the area per se. Rather it will focus on the eye of the person in the focus area.
So if I have center focus on my daughter's legs, the eye AF will be on her, with my son beside her.

I have heard that it grabs focus of the nearest eye.
So I have to do the test and with my son stand a little bit forward.

Culture.

06-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Upon some basic test it seems you can not limit the area per se. Rather it will focus on the eye of the person in the focus area.
So if I have center focus on my daughter's legs, the eye AF will be on her, with my son beside her.

I have heard that it grabs focus of the nearest eye.
So I have to do the test and with my son stand a little bit forward.

Culture.
I guess I am confused about what you want. If I select center focus won't it only select eyes in that center focus area? Or are you saying that it will find an eye anywhere covered by the sensors regardless of how you restrict the focus area?
06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #174
Pentaxian

What does it do if you have group shot, and you want focus, for hyperlocal reasons, on the person second closest to the camera? Is there an "all eyes in focus" setting. Any photographer can do single eye in focus. Calculating the hyperlocal setting for a gourd can be more difficult.
06-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What does it do if you have group shot, and you want focus, for hyperlocal reasons, on the person second closest to the camera? Is there an "all eyes in focus" setting. Any photographer can do single eye in focus. Calculating the hyperlocal setting for a gourd can be more difficult.
Touchscreen focusing covers this, and has been really helpful to me shooting concerts.
06-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I have eye autofocus programmed on my lens button. Have you tried that? Seems to work pretty good for me and stays put where I want it
Ah, another good idea from newer kit, a programmable function button on the lens. I’ve found this useful. A lot of this stuff probably comes down to simple appeal and isn’t brand-specific: good modern kit with convenience features (like face/eye detect, touchscreens, etc) sells better because it reaches a broader audience and helps more people get the results they want.
06-27-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also you can register a number of faces so that the camera looks for just those faces in the crowd. You can also prioritize. Finally, it is not a problem to override the eye autofocus and control it directly if you want. Just one more tool.
06-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Also you can register a number of faces so that the camera looks for just those faces in the crowd. You can also prioritize. Finally, it is not a problem to override the eye autofocus and control it directly if you want. Just one more tool.
The A7iii registers multiple faces? Is it a setting or does it happen automatically?
06-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
The A7iii registers multiple faces? Is it a setting or does it happen automatically?
It is something you had to set.
06-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It is something you had to set.
Got it. I'll have to look it up