Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I regret that last decision, for sure.
Some $$$ony stuff is rubbish...i got a phone,used, conked out 2nd day...turns out guy left the country.Bugga!...Then got a new one but made up for what i lost and more...doubles as a heater in winter!
As for A7, i researched it and the 2nd version,then bought a K-1...This 3rd version A7, looks ok at this stage,its a $$$ony so probably there will be glitch or 10.I buy a body each year,so tomorrow theres another 10 months to decide what i'll get,theres other neat stuff coming and with the unavailability of what i want from RI(lens wise) my $$$ will likely go to another company.

02-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Some $$$ony stuff is rubbish...i got a phone,used, conked out 2nd day...turns out guy left the country.Bugga!...Then got a new one but made up for what i lost and more...doubles as a heater in winter!
As for A7, i researched it and the 2nd version,then bought a K-1...This 3rd version A7, looks ok at this stage,its a $$$ony so probably there will be glitch or 10.I buy a body each year,so tomorrow theres another 10 months to decide what i'll get,theres other neat stuff coming and with the unavailability of what i want from RI(lens wise) my $$$ will likely go to another company.
I'm a buyer, but yes, they do tend to rush to market and put out crap ... I see the new A7 III looks to have a banding glitch on images or some such scandal.

You buy a body each year?

Well, you're clearly just rolling in cash like Scrooge McDuck in his money bin, so just get a D5 or 1Dx II or A9 or whatever!

The rest of us don't have these options.
02-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The rest of us don't have these options
You may have and not realise it....the perception of what you have to have and what you need keeps many high earners poor.

Some people have different hobbies and spend zillions...An old friend now passed,raced Rally stuff...he spent zillions for the result of 2 trophies that would have cost $10 a piece!

D5 or 1Dx II or A9
None of them interest me,id rather have a diversified range of gear...
02-28-2018, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people have different hobbies and spend zillions...An old friend now passed,raced Rally stuff...he spent zillions for the result of 2 trophies that would have cost $10 a piece!
As mentioned elsewhere, I've got friends with hobbies that are *far* bigger money pits ... restoring cars, owning a boat, share in a racehorse, etc!

But I use my gear, I'm not a collector. I have a silver FA77, the local I bought my silver FA31 from couldn't understand why I didn't also buy his silver FA43 so I'd have the complete set, but that sort of thinking is irrelevant to me. Nor do I chase the latest and greatest. If you sent me out to cover an event and told me I can only take one body and a fast fifty, sure.

Nor am I interested as to what's on the shelf in another forum member's study. I like looking at their photos, that actually says something about them, their lives and their artistic instincts.

Last edited by clackers; 02-28-2018 at 02:25 AM.
02-28-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't chase the latest and greatest
Nor me, but i like diversity...the K-1 bag is 8.7kgs...the M43 bag is 2.3 kgs,both are appropriate for different occasions.

I like looking at their photos,
You would get bored with mine, surfing surfing surfing,waves waves waves, the odd seagull flying past when theres no waves or surfing going on!
02-28-2018, 02:31 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You would get bored with mine, surfing surfing surfing,waves waves waves, the odd seagull flying past when theres no waves or surfing going on!
No, only if with that privilege of shooting what you love, you weren't getting better year to year, being more adventurous with your techniques, forget about your gear.

That you're attempting a slow shutter speed pan, that you're in a boat offshore shooting, or in the water itself with an ultrawide very, very close to the competitor, or that you're getting dramatic shots behind the scenes of that sport that the general public have little insight into. Choose the most outwardly emotional surfer you know and get them coming out of the water either crushed by defeat or triumphant.

Show us what I and others can't hope to capture standing on the beach with a long lens, that sort of thing.

I tell myself, don't buy hardware, try to shoot better pictures.

Last edited by clackers; 02-28-2018 at 02:43 AM.
02-28-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Show us what I and others can't hope to capture standing on the beach with a long lens, that sort of thing.
Ive been planning a surfing thread,just got to find the 2 magazines from the 60s that i'm cerain were shot with Pentax.Of course some K-1 shots too...4.4 fps is ideal,believe it or not.Slow action or thats my terminology.

You should get gown to Bells and capture Mick Fannings last comp.Hes called time,i hope he gets to ring it!(only the winner gets that privilege).

02-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the A7iii and the K-1ii are a lot more money than I'd like to spend on a camera body. I rather dislike Sony as a company and have had a pretty great experience with my Pentax bodies. Yet I have to say that somehow the A7iii is giving me a much greater case of gear envy than the K-1ii...
02-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janelgreo Quote
...Biggest downfall for me though is the price of these damn Sony E-Mount lenses...
This indeed is the biggest downside. The majority of OEM Sony lenses cost an arm & a leg. Just taking a quick glance at B&H, the majority of them start at $500 (USA) & shoot up in price rather quickly. Don't get me wrong, they do have some very nice lenses, but you basically have to pay quite a lot to play very well.

In either case, lots of exciting thngs are happening in the camera industry right now so it's all a win-win. Hopefully Pentax follows suit.
02-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
In either case, lots of exciting thngs are happening in the camera industry right now so it's all a win-win. Hopefully Pentax follows suit.
So true, variety galore and its all excellent...however,the perfect all round camera isnt quite done yet.Lots are closing in,the Fuji that starts shipping today looks the goods as does this $$$ony.Will be interesting for the feedback from the everyday consumers.

Last edited by surfar; 02-28-2018 at 01:11 PM.
02-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Last edited by surfar; 02-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
02-28-2018, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ive been planning a surfing thread,just got to find the 2 magazines from the 60s that i'm cerain were shot with Pentax.Of course some K-1 shots too...4.4 fps is ideal,believe it or not.Slow action or thats my terminology.

You should get gown to Bells and capture Mick Fannings last comp.Hes called time,i hope he gets to ring it!(only the winner gets that privilege).
I've not shot surfing before, Surfar!

Last weekend while walking along Gunnamatta Beach with my wife, a K-S2 and DA55-300, I did snap these, though:

02-28-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice Clacka, ive shot some kitesurfers too...usually when the surfs blown out,they need strong winds.
02-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

I look at BH for FE full frame lenses in the telephoto range... longest I see natively is a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 that has a tripod collar on it... because its big.. and heavy.

Is it physically possible to reduce the size of lenses for mirrorless platforms or are we at the limits of physics?

I still see size as a valuable asset to APS-C sensored systems. A 55-300 reaches nicely on crop.. and can be made compact if not too fast. Favorable for walkaround shooting or long hikes.

I took delivery of a Tamron 100-400 today and while it is about a pound lighter than my Sigma 120-400 and a little narrower in diameter it is slightly longer and still fairly weighty (2 and a half pounds) even though it is the lightest of the 100ish-400 f/slow lenses. That is where I see crop having a nice asset.. but would be interesting if they could reduce it further for mirrorless somehow.
02-28-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Is it physically possible to reduce the size of lenses for mirrorless platforms or are we at the limits of physics?
Not as long as the sensors in mirrorless are the same size as in a DSLR.

In theory, lenses with a focal length at or less than the registration distance can be made quite small - they can do without the retrofocal group at the back normally designed to put light back past the mirror box.

In practice, such small lenses very close to the sensor can have real problems with light reaching the edges at oblique angles - vignetting and discoloration can be the result, as people found putting Leica rangefinder lenses on Sonys found.

So a decent wide angle *should* be much the same size, no matter what kind of ILC. They often aren't, so m43 and Fuji and so on are accused of cooking the RAW files. The lenses have chips containing corrections for the camera, so it shouldn't be possible for DxO style tests to be replicated by traditional measurements on an optical workbench.

With teles, there's no advantage either way, so a good long lens will always be big, heavy and expensive no matter what kind of camera it's put in front of. The Sony 300mm f2.8 weighs more than five pounds and costs more than $7000.