Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hows this one Claka?....Shipsterns Bluff,Van Diemens Land!
Yeah, absolutely love it, Surfar!

It doesn't have rule of thirds composition and is all the better for it, BTW.

Last edited by clackers; 03-04-2018 at 12:39 AM.
03-04-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Some people have mentioned a E-mount adapter, that allows for AF on K-mount adapted lenses... does anyone have a link to/for this??? I have been searching for what options might be out there.
This is new, no reference to K mount because most people buying into Sony and M43 are coming from caNik.

A small point from the Focal Reducer thing, its a 1.4x crop from FF lens to M43 sensor
Also, theres a few AF adapters for Fuji X mount that seem to work well with EF and Nikon glass.

Last edited by surfar; 03-04-2018 at 10:05 PM.
03-04-2018, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #48
mee
Veteran Member

Mirrorless Adapters 2018 Update (Metabones, Sigma, Commlite) - YouTube
This is new, no reference to K mount because most people buying into Sony and M43 are coming from caNik.

A small point from the Focal Reducer thing, its a 1.4x crop from FF lens to M43 sensor
Also, theres a few AF adapters for Fuji X mount that seem to work well with EF and Nikon glass.

Thanks for sharing that.. I went on a brief trip on the interwebs looking for something similar the other day. This is nice and tidy..

I think Canon might have been easier to crack? There seem to be a number of fairly matured and further maturing autofocus EF adapters... that or just the sheer number of potential buyers meant adapter manufacturers dedicated their efforts on Canon EF mount lens adapers for Sony bodies.

Strangely, to me, not many Nikon autofocus-enabled adapters.. actually that Commlite referenced might be the only one. There is a fotodiox fusion adapter too but that is just a rebranded commlite iirc. The original one appeared to have bricked at least 2 sony cameras during youtube reviews of the adapter. oops.

Between that and the review here, I think they still have a long way to go on F mount.
03-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just look at TechArt Pro....and Fotodiox....the adapters are the same,work with the same firmware.

They both natively work with Leica lenses but you just use a Leica to K mount as well.

Plenty of Youtube, both say not to use lenses heavier than 700g but theres a YT showing a Nikon 400mm f2.8 on a monopod,its 2.8kgs.

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 02:40 PM ----------

Some discussion here New Fotodiox PRONTO Leica M to Sony autofocus adapter: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Apparently, the Fotodiox firmware cannot be updated. The Techart can.

If I was to buy the A7III I think will use it with three lenses that are below 700g.
It will be nice to see how my Samyang 85 f1.4 will do on that.

03-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Apparently, the Fotodiox firmware cannot be updated. The Techart can.
They are the same adapter, Foto copied TAP exactly....version 5 of the TAP can be installed on Foto.Theres a youtube.

If I was to buy the A7III I think will use it with three lenses that are below 700g.
Thats recommended, however...

This NIKON is 2.8kgs
03-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Nice if this one comes in K mount too.
03-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #52
Veteran Member

A more extensive explanation.

At this point I think my search is over. Too much trouble to go through for now.
But I will be sleeping with one eye open.

Culture.

03-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But I will be sleeping with one eye open.
Thats a good review,for the time it was relevant.Since that review 3 $$$ony bodies have been revealed and the adapter has had a firmware update.

This discussion is interesting.

03-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Thats a good review,for the time it was relevant.Since that review 3 $$$ony bodies have been revealed and the adapter has had a firmware update.

This discussion is interesting.

Why you will LOVE the SONY A7 III - YouTube

So when are you going to by yours.
I think we all know that it a great camera.
The question is how to adapt it to the k-mount for it to work well.
03-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Strangely, to me, not many Nikon autofocus-enabled adapters.. actually that Commlite referenced might be the only one. There is a fotodiox fusion adapter too but that is just a rebranded commlite iirc. The original one appeared to have bricked at least 2 sony cameras during youtube reviews of the adapter. oops.

Between that and the review here, I think they still have a long way to go on F mount.
Shouldn't be strange at all. F-mount is like K-mount. Only recent lenses have in-lens focus motor. To provide complete service, the adapter has to provide a focus motor, which is much more difficult that providing the contacts required by the EF-mount.
03-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Mirrorless Adapters 2018 Update (Metabones, Sigma, Commlite) - YouTube

There is a workaround for K mount AF.
People use the M-mount AF adapter and stack on a K mount adapter.
I don't know how well it works though.
03-06-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I don't know how well it works though.
Heres how well Canon glass works.

03-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Shouldn't be strange at all. F-mount is like K-mount. Only recent lenses have in-lens focus motor. To provide complete service, the adapter has to provide a focus motor, which is much more difficult that providing the contacts required by the EF-mount.
F-mount seems to be a generation ahead on development over K-mount.. at least in terms of introducing in-lens autofocus motors. Perhaps the stripping by Hoya and purchase by Ricoh is the reason. I think when Ricoh introduced HD revisions, is when we should have seen more in-lens motors. But they just didn't have time or the budget to complete such a monumental task.

Not sure any G series lenses are without a motor (AF-S primarily --- ultrasonic motor)

I think most of the older D series lenses, from the early to mid 90s, are closer to a lot of the K mount lenses still on the market (screwdriven).

So the adapter doesn't need to provide a focus motor for a very large amount of Nikon lenses on the market today. As a matter of fact, here is a handy dandy listing of all the available in-focus motor driven Nikon lenses: List of Nikon F-mount lenses with integrated autofocus motor - Wikipedia

I really just think it boils down to Canon having a stranglehold on the market with number of users (and thus potential buyers) and a large selection of desirable lenses. So you have Canon users wanting to adapt their lenses to use on mirrorless bodies (typically Sony) and maybe a few mirrorless users wanting to try out Canon lenses..

Edit: Did you mean electronically controlled aperture instead and not in-lens focus motor like you said? That might make more sense..

Last edited by mee; 03-06-2018 at 09:45 PM.
03-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #59
mee
Veteran Member

Very well from those brief examples. I'm not selling all my gear and getting a Sony, but I am keenly interested in mirrorless camera developments in the next few years. Hopefully someone other than Sony starts taking off with FF mirrorless... Nikon or Pentax preferably. But I doubt Pentax even considers it seriously.. at least in the same context that Sony does.

No autofocus microadjustments, viewfinder exposure representation, focusing aids in the viewfinder, wide focus point coverage, silent shutter.. some nice advantages I think.
03-06-2018, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Hopefully someone other than Sony starts taking off with FF mirrorless
Its highly likely that the FF mirrorless war starts around Photokina time,Canon will fire the first shots and NIK will get it ON!

Both Sony and Fuji are into their third generation mirrorless with M43 hanging in with good product,the AF adapters are getting good and thats why M/L are producing positive sales figures.